The QAnon Conspiracy Phenomenon

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
If this Flammenwerfer wished to eradicate all traces of his(?) participation, why did he think it was a rational idea to leave a single message stating that he'd done so? :loopy:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I don't know if this paints a realistic picture but anyway... Qanon followers disillusioned by lack of success in stopping Biden.

Biden inauguration leaves QAnon believers in disarray

Followers of the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory are divided after Joe Biden's inauguration confounded their predictions that Donald Trump would remain president in order to punish his enemies in the "deep state".
Many reacted with shock and despair as Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th US president.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I don't know if this paints a realistic picture but anyway... Qanon followers disillusioned by lack of success in stopping Biden.

Biden inauguration leaves QAnon believers in disarray
One can but hope.
Whilst I suspect many followers or Qfolk just tag along for a bit of an anti-establishment laugh - rather like Flat Earthers, the fundamental tenets of the movement are deeply unpleasant, including extreme anti-Semitism:

https://www.brandeis.edu/now/2021/january/anti-semitism-capitol-riot-sarna.html

bugmum

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I saw a meme - on Tuesday, I think - that said Joe Biden and a lot of influential people had been arrested on Sunday, court-martialled and then released on the understanding that Biden would be sworn in as President whilst Trump remained in charge behind the scenes, so that everything that happens over the next 4 years can be attributed directly to Trump.

In my understanding, court martials are purely military courts, and civilians such as the new President could not be convicted by them. So how would this work?

I was going to say, you couldn't make this up, but someone did!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... In my understanding, court martials are purely military courts, and civilians such as the new President could not be convicted by them. So how would this work? ...
Your understanding is correct (in the US legal context). The person making the surreal claims you cited was no doubt referring to a military tribunal rather than a court-martial. A military tribunal is a judicial process in which enemy combatants or POWs accused of war crimes are tried. Such tribunals are associated with offenses arising during war (including war-like engagements such as the so-called 'war on terror').

Military tribunal trials of US citizens are generally prohibited, because the Supreme Court ruled them unconstitutional following the Civil War. US civilians acting as enemy combatants in a recognized war (or war equivalent conflict) can be detained, but they cannot be tried by a military tribunal because the tribunal process falls short of observing the citizen's constitutional rights.

As long as the US civilian court system is functional in the given jurisdiction, a US civilian basically cannot be tried by a military tribunal.

Souleater

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Your understanding is correct (in the US legal context). The person making the surreal claims you cited was no doubt referring to a military tribunal rather than a court-martial. A military tribunal is a judicial process in which enemy combatants or POWs accused of war crimes are tried. Such tribunals are associated with offenses arising during war (including war-like engagements such as the so-called 'war on terror').

Military tribunal trials of US citizens are generally prohibited, because the Supreme Court ruled them unconstitutional following the Civil War. US civilians acting as enemy combatants in a recognized war (or war equivalent conflict) can be detained, but they cannot be tried by a military tribunal because the tribunal process falls short of observing the citizen's constitutional rights.

As long as the US civilian court system is functional in the given jurisdiction, a US civilian basically cannot be tried by a military tribunal.
Either way its complete nonsense as what he is being accused of is none of the above lol

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
https://theness.com/neurologicablog...jVwOaeWgAQpv2VMciYd_G3ZzafIv6uWcCneFSDgNn_3ik

Trump slinked away to Mar-a-Lago, and Biden is now president. No one should be surprised that Q followers will not just put down their signs, take off their Q T-shirts, shrug and go on with normal lives. The press is reporting the shock of this disappointment but saying that some followers are disillusioned. Give it time. Motivated reasoning sometimes takes a day or two. They’ll get there. (Mostly – it is possible some people may quietly give it up.)

The Washington Post, for example, reports on a Q-believer named Tiffany:

But after a night of processing the day’s events by reading QAnon promoters’ posts, she said she believes that everything is still humming along according to plan — and that Trump’s election loss was all part of Q’s master strategy to expose the evildoers who corrupted the vote.
“Things have just started,” said Tiffany, who spoke on the condition she’d be identified only by her first name for fear of harassment. “They had to ‘commit’ the crime to fully lock the deal.”
And she sticks the landing – and is rewarded with a nice shot of dopamine as a massive rationalization washes over Tiffany’s brain, erasing all that nasty cognitive dissonance. How long can this be sustainable? Indefinitely – the Q-conspiracy will evolve, adapt, and morph into whatever its adherents can make up to keep the narrative going (people are clever this way – just look at the final season of Lost). This is a real concern, because Q has already demonstrated a willingness to engage in violence and to undermine our democracy. They have been radicalized, and are now a loaded weapon ready to be exploited by the next puppet-master.