The R.I.P. Thread

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Say, that's a snappy description! Really Fortean film.
Based on Twinkle, Twinkle, 'Killer' Kane (a great title!) by The Exorcist's William Peter Blatty. Highly recommended, like the film, which has somehow drifted into obscurity.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
Anthea Bell, literary translator. A towering genius. You will have read her work, I am sure, even if you did not know you were doing so, because translators tend to remain, or be kept, invisible. She is, perhaps, best known for her incredible work on Asterix, but she also translated inter alia W.G. Sebald, Franz Kafka, and Freud. My colleagues who knew her personally say she was tremendously generous, too, and it does seem to me that the best translators are also incredibly kind and generous people.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Anthea Bell, literary translator. A towering genius. You will have read her work, I am sure, even if you did not know you were doing so, because translators tend to remain, or be kept, invisible. She is, perhaps, best known for her incredible work on Asterix, but she also translated inter alia W.G. Sebald, Franz Kafka, and Freud. My colleagues who knew her personally say she was tremendously generous, too, and it does seem to me that the best translators are also incredibly kind and generous people.
Met her once, very nice person and seemed to love her job. Without her the Asterix books in English would have been so poorer.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Veteran actor James Karen dead at 94:
https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-james-karen-from-return-of-the-living-dead-pol-1829981639

Horror fans know him from his storming performance in Return of the Living Dead, but he was in millions of things, according to the obit up there he also blew up The Little House on the Prairie, which I can't say I remember. He was still working up till recently, and nobody had a bad word to say about him. Another "That Guy" actor gone. RIP.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-james-karen-from-return-of-the-living-dead-pol-1829981639

Horror fans know him from his storming performance in Return of the Living Dead, but he was in millions of things, according to the obit up there he also blew up The Little House on the Prairie, which I can't say I remember. He was still working up till recently, and nobody had a bad word to say about him. Another "That Guy" actor gone. RIP.
Fuck sticks :( .. do you mind if I cut and paste your write up for Deadites ? .. he will be missed.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

Yep outstanding performance.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Well, you could just copy the link to the obit, which says more than I did there, but yeah, I don't mind.

When I first saw the film when I was about 15 I thought his performance was the first time I'd seen an actual realistic reaction to a horror setting that is so beyond the norm.

Terror, lying to cover his arse, sweaty stupidity and the realization that his life has just vanished.

Then bravery.

Thom Mathews is also great as his dozy sidekick. Obviously coached by Karen.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've only just found out that Greg Stafford died last month. If you're wondering 'who's he?', you might go, 'Ahh!', when I say that he founded the roleplaying game company Chaosium and was responsible for such genre-defining games as RuneQuest, Pendragon and--most famously--Call of Cthulhu.

Died of a heart attack aged 70 on October 10

R.I.P.

Obituary here:
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2018/o...948-2018/?mc_cid=6a133d9689&mc_eid=0af674bfbf

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Say what you like about Stan Lee (and some say plenty), he kept plugging away until he had become one of the all-time most influential men in pop culture. RIP. Or should I say: "Excelsior!"