The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Gloria and Willard also wrote Howard the Duck, which, erm, has a good ending I suppose. RIP.

Bad Bungle

Devoted Cultist

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm not going to get into politics, but on a personal note he was the White House incumbent while I was studying U.S. politics at school and his death makes me feel old!

He was also a naval aviator during WW2 and was shot down. Amazingly (as they said on BBC News when they screened it) there is footage of him being rescued, it'll likely be repeated during tributes.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
H was also a naval aviator during WW2 and was shot down. Amazingly (as they said on BBC News when they screened it) there is footage of him being rescued, it'll likely be repeated during tributes.
I didn't know that.

That being so, I will raise a literal glass to him.

Whatever else he may or may not have done, the desire to kill Nazis (or brutal nationalists) is one of the qualities I admire most in a man.

Aviation in those days was pretty far from plain sailing; good on him.

I didn't know that.

That being so, I will raise a literal glass to him.

Whatever else he may or may not have done, the desire to kill Nazis (or brutal nationalists) is one of the qualities I admire most in a man.

Aviation in those days was pretty far from plain sailing; good on him.
It was in the Pacific. He was lucky to be rescued by a submarine.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It was in the Pacific. He was lucky to be rescued by a submarine.
I've read several accounts of aviators who crashed at sea and none of them is fun.

If you bail and out and your chute works, you still have a good chance of perishing.

If you ditch and pray, you have a very good chance of being killed or seriously injured, and if you come out on the right side of those odds you still run the same lottery as those who floated down.

Edit: found the footage you mention:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
This isn't a famous person but I hope it is okay to post it here. Beaten in his own home, a senseless death for a brave man who survived all the atrocities of WW2 only to die at the hands of some useless thugs.

RIP Mr Gouldstone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46411792

A 98-year-old World War Two veteran who was attacked and robbed in his home has died in hospital.

Peter Gouldstone was found with bruising and a head injury at a house in Evesham Road, in the Bounds Green area of north London, on 6 November.

Mr Gouldstone was left suffering severe injuries including two bleeds to the brain and extensive bruising on his body in the attack, described by police as "brutal and senseless".

He died in the early hours of Friday.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Paul Sherwen - Legendary cycling commentator. With Phil Liggett he provided some of the best sports commentary ever. If you ever heard any of the other commentators of professional cycling none come close to those two. The way they could effortlessly weave accurate cycling commentary with facts about the landscape the cyclists raced through made them hypnotic even to none cycling fans.

He wasn't too shabby a cyclist either.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Tributes have poured in for a soldier who fired Edinburgh Castle’s iconic One o’clock Gun.
Sergeant James Shannon, AKA Shannon the Cannon, died aged 58.
He officially took on the One o’clock Gun role in 2006 shortly after the death of long-time gunner “Tam the Gun”, Sergeant Thomas McKay, who had fired the timepiece since the 1970s. A Territorial Army recruiting sergeant, Shannon was the 29th person to undertake the post of One o’clock gunner.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....ner-shannon-the-cannon-dead-aged-58-1-4838998

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Paul Sherwen - Legendary cycling commentator. With Phil Liggett he provided some of the best sports commentary ever. If you ever heard any of the other commentators of professional cycling none come close to those two. The way they could effortlessly weave accurate cycling commentary with facts about the landscape the cyclists raced through made them hypnotic even to none cycling fans.

He wasn't too shabby a cyclist either.
I met him and his partner in crime Phil Liggett quite a few times, and they were both very good company - they were also very much unreconstructed 'blokes' (I don't mean that nastily or disrespectfully!) some of whose comments off camera were very much NSFW!

They did hell of a lot between them to popularise cycling in the English-speaking world. It's a hard sport to commentate on, too, as diddly-squat happens during most of a six- or seven-hour stage. And while he may not have been a cycling great, riding seven Tours de France and winning two British road titles in a ten-year professional at a time when there were very few anglophone riders is one hell of an achievement that most pro riders and all amateurs can only dream of achieving. You had to be hard as nails as a domestique in the 70s and 80s.

Back in the day, I also once got a lift from London to Bath with the late David Duffield who was another great cycling proselytiser and commentator famous for his Duffieldisms ('these cyclists that look somehow like cattle in a mad way, only cattle on bikes'). I'm actually a big fan of the present twosome, Messrs Millar and Boulting, who also work well as a combination.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I met him and his partner in crime Phil Liggett quite a few times, and they were both very good company - they were also very much unreconstructed 'blokes' (I don't mean that nastily or disrespectfully!) some of whose comments off camera were very much NSFW!

They did hell of a lot between them to popularise cycling in the English-speaking world. It's a hard sport to commentate on, too, as diddly-squat happens during most of a six- or seven-hour stage. And while he may not have been a cycling great, riding seven Tours de France and winning two British road titles in a ten-year professional at a time when there were very few anglophone riders is one hell of an achievement that most pro riders and all amateurs can only dream of achieving. You had to be hard as nails as a domestique in the 70s and 80s.

Back in the day, I also once got a lift from London to Bath with the late David Duffield who was another great cycling proselytiser and commentator famous for his Duffieldisms ('these cyclists that look somehow like cattle in a mad way, only cattle on bikes'). I'm actually a big fan of the present twosome, Messrs Millar and Boulting, who also work well as a combination.
I know a guy who road professionally in some of the lesser continental circuit tours and his ability on a bike was something to behold and I'm no bike noob either So Sherwen does indeed deserve a lot of respect.

A friend of mine has died suddenly. I knew him since 1978, involved in so many campaigns and good causes together. Got drunk together so often. I was 18 when we first met, he was 21 and already cynical.

Rest In Power Alan.
A vid about Alan.

The cover pic on the vid was taken in 1984, thats me with the moustache and short dark hair.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just listening to 6Music playing loads of Pete Shelley's music. What a brilliant ear for melody and lyrics. RIP.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Shocking news. If I'd been a few years older I think the Buzzcocks would have been the band for me - perfectly formed pop/punk/post-punk songs with great riffs and lyrics. Saw them last year or the year before in Bristol and they were very, very good. So glad that I got the chance to see them. 'Ever Fallen in Love With' is one of the all-time great 'pop' songs.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Shocking news. If I'd been a few years older I think the Buzzcocks would have been the band for me - perfectly formed pop/punk/post-punk songs with great riffs and lyrics. Saw them last year or the year before in Bristol and they were very, very good. So glad that I got the chance to see them. 'Ever Fallen in Love With' is one of the all-time great 'pop' songs.
oh my god I've seen the Buzzcocks more times than I care to remember. Very saddened by this.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46476369

"BBC music correspondent Lizo Mzimba said Buzzcocks, who formed in Bolton in the 1970s, were regarded as more polished, but musically no less influential, than the Sex Pistols"

Oh do F off the Buzzcocks were far greater than the sex pistols. The SP were still essentially a pub rock band whatever Lydon says.