The R.I.P. Thread

I saw the Buzzcocks at one of the old Leeds Heineken festivals way back when - late 80s/early 90s? - and considered myself lucky to have caught them, given that I'd been too young for their first appearance. They played a storming set, as you'd expect, with that back catalogue.

I saw the Buzzcocks at the Big Chill ten years ago, and considered myself lucky to have caught them, given that a couple of decades had gone by since I last saw them. They played a storming set, as you'd expect, with that back catalogue. And they were still playing every song like they meant it, even after all those years.

RIP.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
Don't think I know any of their songs really but RIP - it's scary when singers of a similar age to the ones I like, are dying... it's just the progression of things I suppose but sobering all the same. :(

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
We had a go at being a band in the late 70’s and had Boredom as the opening number. I can’t say how many times I’ve listened to Another Music in a Different Kitchen or how they were the equal top 3 live performances I saw live. (The others being The Ramones and The Jam)

As vinyl moved to CD, I bought Buzzcocks. As everything became digital, I snagged my favourite Buzzcocks tracks. While other bands were being big and bombastic and intergalactic, Pete wrote about the apparently trivial heartbreaks of growing up but also here, the little things that can build like straws to grind you down.
While every Buzzcocks song was a mini masterpiece, I’ll suggest this. A lost world of stamps only from the post office, cigarette machines on the streets, telephone kiosks filled with the aroma of the last user, pubs not open when you need a drink and those shit new plastic razors.

I’ve been mentioning Hylda Baker’s ‘Little Hand On This Watch’ here a few times. I think Pete had the same idea here.

Anyway. Buzzcocks were a huge part of my teenage life and I still have this in the loft in my vinyl collection.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Surely the BBC could have picked a better film to remember her with?

Sondra Locke: Any Which Way You Can actress dies aged 74
  • 1 hour ago

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionClint Eastwood and Sondra Locke in 1982
Actress Sondra Locke, who was best known for making six movies with Clint Eastwood, has died at the age of 74.
She earned an Oscar nomination for her first film, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, in 1968.
Locke became romantically involved with Eastwood whilst making The Outlaw Josey Wales in 1975 but later went on to sue him for fraud when they broke up.
She died on 3 November after having a heart attack, which was related to her breast and bone cancer diagnosis.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46564964

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Not sure why everybody has gone overboard in the media about her death. Competent, (in some roles), actor, not a great beauty, quite brittle looking as David Quinlan would say. Sad she had such a tough time after her break up with Eastwood.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
She's been highlighted because, irony of ironies, of her bitter relationship with Eastwood, one of the most famous movie stars (and directors) who ever lived. I always found her kind of eerie-looking with her very fair colouring and huge eyes, but she wasn't untalented by any means. Watch her in Bronco Billy and she's not bad at all, though that film was a flop compared to the orangutan movies which were just massive.

Her first attempt at directing, Ratboy, was bizarre (to put it mildly) and for some reason she thought she was going to get a second career out of it. But she did suffer some dreadful bad luck that very few would have bounced back from, whether Eastwood was pulling the strings behind the scenes or not. It's clear she never got over him, and not in a good way. RIP.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
She's been highlighted because, irony of ironies, of her bitter relationship with Eastwood, one of the most famous movie stars (and directors) who ever lived. I always found her kind of eerie-looking with her very fair colouring and huge eyes, but she wasn't untalented by any means. Watch her in Bronco Billy and she's not bad at all, though that film was a flop compared to the orangutan movies which were just massive.

Her first attempt at directing, Ratboy, was bizarre (to put it mildly) and for some reason she thought she was going to get a second career out of it. But she did suffer some dreadful bad luck that very few would have bounced back from, whether Eastwood was pulling the strings behind the scenes or not. It's clear she never got over him, and not in a good way. RIP.
Agree she was great in Bronco Billy. Just some of the comments on media sites citing her great beauty and the suggestion that she was more talented than Eastwood, (Bonkers). I never really liked multiple films starring real life partners. Bronson and Ireland spring to mind either , kills the immersion.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Tim May, one of the founders of the cypherpunk movement, 67, natural causes.

May's work was critical to the fight to legalize civilian access to strong cryptography, and to resist the Clinton administration's doomed and absurd attempt to ban working cryptography (this campaign is still alive and well, and gaining ground in Australia).

https://boingboing.net/2018/12/15/cryto-rights-now.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just read sitcom star turned blockbuster director Penny Marshall has died. Big and Awakenings are great films. More details to come, I suppose. RIP.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Edit*
We posted at almost the same moment GNC

Penny Marshall, Director and ‘Laverne & Shirley’ Actress, Dead at 75
Filmmaker behind Big, Awakenings and A League of Their Own succumbs to complications from diabetes
By Kory Grow

Penny Marshall, the influential actress and filmmaker, died Monday night at her home in California. A rep confirmed the entertainer’s death to Rolling Stone, adding that her death was due to complications from diabetes. She was 75.
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/penny-marshall-laverne-shirley-actress-dead-770765/

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Dunno if this chap's passing got a plug earlier in the year while I wasn't around, not showing up on search so perhaps not.

Jonny was very loosely known to me from an open mic night I used to get to a lot in the early 00s, was shocked to hear he was gone and know that impacted a lot of people who knew him or knew of him.

Died back in March, inquest decided suicide. :(

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Dunno if this chap's passing got a plug earlier in the year while I wasn't around, not showing up on search so perhaps not.

Jonny was very loosely known to me from an open mic night I used to get to a lot in the early 00s, was shocked to hear he was gone and know that impacted a lot of people who knew him or knew of him.

He reminds me of Nick Drake, both musically and sadly with the suicide verdict. R.I.P. Jonny X.

Kryptonite

Dazed and confused for so long it's not true

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

don't think so. Very sad. lovely, understated voice and a nice smile.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
A great actor, I always remember him for his role as Gary in John Carpenter's The Thing.

Donald Moffat, 87, a Top Actor Who Thrived in Second Billings, Dies
By Robert D. McFadden
Dec. 20, 2018

Donald Moffat, the character actor who nailed Falstaff’s paradoxes at the New York Shakespeare Festival, a grizzled Larry Slade in Eugene O’Neill’s “The Iceman Cometh” on Broadway and a sinister president in the film “Clear and Present Danger,” died on Thursday in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y. He was 87.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/...2sxQL-AOObsaKU75EaLHbXOtnioSQhY2UpCBiVivRRY9k