The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Finney practically changed British society overnight when Saturday Night and Sunday Morning was a hit (though it took for the Beatles to arrive for things to really shake up). Charlie Bubbles is one of the oddest pet projects of any major star, now he's gone up and away in his own balloon. Brilliant in Miller's Crossing, of course, and great that his last film was Skyfall, but check out Shoot the Moon, it's a neglected gem. And that's without mentioning his stage work. An incredible career, and he was always the down to earth boy from Salford throughout. RIP.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
An unusual story here,

Prince Leonard, who founded Hutt River Province after stoush with WA government, dies aged 93
By Natasha Harradine Updated about 10 hours ago

Leonard Casley, the founder of the micro-nation of Hutt River in Western Australia's Mid West, has died aged 93.
Known as "Prince Leonard", he decided to secede from Australia and form the principality of Hutt River in 1970 after a stoush with the State Government over wheat production quotas.

He was locked in a legal battle with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for a number of years, but in 2017 was ordered along with his son Arthur to pay $3 million in income tax.
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...b3nFtle7Hel-on99wrmu5pReJVrbMlO9C59DK9PCRxH04

A Cult leader who claimed Queen Elizabeth controlled the international drug trade.

Lyndon LaRouche, a notorious conspiracy theorist who ran for president eight times — once from prison — on platforms asserting that Queen Elizabeth II was a drug dealer and that numerous top government officials were Soviet agents, has died, his political organization confirmed Wednesday.

He was 96.

The group, LaRouche PAC, didn't report a cause of death in an announcement that trumpeted the "big ideas for which history will honor him." He certainly had big ideas. LaRouche, who had been a Marxist but evolved into a hard-right conservative, was one of the great odd characters of American political life during the second half of the 20th century, inspiring a following of "LaRouchies" who tirelessly picketed political rallies of all stripes demanding that their leader's claims be heard. ...

He once published a book alleging that some members of President George W. Bush's administration were "children of Satan," and his organization sponsored posters calling for the impeachment of President Barack Obama, whom it depicted wearing a Hitler mustache. ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...ndidate-lyndon-larouche-dies-at-96/ar-BBTyBam

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Lyndon LaRouche was the occasionally-surfacing face of the US lunatic fringe for decades. Sudden appearances of LaRouche on TV, grimly spouting doomsday and conspiracy rhetoric and soliciting support for his presidential campaigns, became a tradition.

To my mind the most remarkable aspect of his career was his shift from seemingly left-wing rhetoric in the 1970's to seemingly far right-wing rhetoric in the 1980's.

The fact that he came across as uniformly serious and well supported with national-scale financing was more curious and ominous than whatever off-the-wall viewpoints he was espousing in a given year.

Throughout the whole sweep of his strange career he came across as someone intensely driven, and not in a good way.

...Throughout the whole sweep of his strange career he came across as someone intensely driven, and not in a good way.
One of the many odd pronouncements I always associate with him is the accusation the the Ku Klux Klan was a Jewish front. On a personal level, that's kind of ironic, as I sometimes find myself confusing Lyndon LaRouche with David Duke, if only by name.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
The last surviving member of the real-life Great Escape team has died.

Former squadron leader Dick Churchill was one of 76 airmen whose escape from the Stalag Luft III camp in Nazi Germany in 1944 was immortalised in the Hollywood film starring Steve McQueen.

Mr Churchill, who lived in Crediton, Devon, died on Wednesday, aged 99.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47257570

The last surviving member of the real-life Great Escape team has died.

Former squadron leader Dick Churchill was one of 76 airmen whose escape from the Stalag Luft III camp in Nazi Germany in 1944 was immortalised in the Hollywood film starring Steve McQueen.

Mr Churchill, who lived in Crediton, Devon, died on Wednesday, aged 99.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47257570
Hell enjoy Valhalla.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The American Friend is a great film and Ganz is superb in it (as he usually was). One of the leading actors of the German New Wave, doesn't seem right he's now passed away, but so it goes. Were the 1970s so far away? RIP.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Karl Lagerfeld, iconic Chanel fashion designer, dies
4 hours ago

The German designer, who was the creative director for Chanel and Fendi, was one of the industry's most prolific figures and worked up until his death.

His signature ponytail and dark glasses made him an instantly recognisable figure around the world.

Industry heavyweights, including Italian designer Donatella Versace, issued heartfelt tributes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47293612