The R.I.P. Thread

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Lagerfeld - who kind of embodied the idea that male fashion designers really don't like women.
When I saw photos of Lagerfeld and his cat Choupette with the words "a terrible loss for fashion," for some reason I immediately assumed it was Choupette who had died. :oops:

I suppose Lagerfeld's vampirish persona and dress-sense had me convinced he was immortal.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
To me Lagerfeld embodied the idea that fashion designers wear nice suits, while creating ridiculous clothes that people can't wear.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Apparently Karl has willed a large portion of his fortune to his cat. Not sure if that's helping the world too much.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In a way it seems a shame that Downfall, and particularly the parodies, will be what he is remembered for. He did so many other things.
I once spent a pleasant night in a hotel with someone* who'd never heard of the Downfall parodies. Set him up to watch them on my netbook while I settled down to drink beer and watch TV. He was laughing constantly for as long as I was awake. Time well spent.

*My adult nephew, as you asked, on way home from visiting Escet at CERN.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
alas, i see bruno ganz got his wings back, now enjoying cigarettes & coffee up there with a campañero no doubt

wings of desire food truck scene :

Just looking at that still image I can hear Peter Falk saying "Just one more thing....my wife bought me this new coat."

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Peter Tork, a member of the made-for-TV pop group The Monkees, has died at the age of 77, the band's US publicist confirmed.
A post on the musician's official Facebook page said they were sharing "the devastating news... with beyond-heavy and broken hearts".
"Our friend, mentor, teacher, and amazing soul, Peter Tork, has passed from this world."
Tork had been diagnosed with a rare form of tongue cancer in 2009.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47319788

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Loved The Monkees TV show, and still do, Peter was the "stupid" one, to his chagrin, but he was a talented songwriter too (he'd started his career as a folky). Plus Head is one of the great weirdo movies, and his song Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again? is a gem.

Here it is:

(I know it's mostly Mike in the clip, but it is Peter singing).

I'm glad there was one last Monkees album before he went, and it was really good. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
My sister loved the Monkees when I was a child, so I grew up watching them on t.v and listening to them almost daily. They were a part of my childhood. Wacky, silly and endlessly compared to the Beatles, which they never were, but nonetheless, they were a talented bunch who made some great music, a memorable t.v series and here we are 50 years plus reliving the joy they brought us. R.I.P Peter, you've earned your rest.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Stanley Donen, director of On the Town, Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Funny Face, Charade and Bedazzled (among others) dies aged 94:
Donen obit

That's a heck of a filmography, and even when he tailed off in the 1970s he made some "unusual" movies (Saturn 3, anyone?). RIP.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
For Mr Donen, Gene Kelly's incredible roller skates routine from It's Always Fair Weather:

OK, they fell out massively during the production, and one of them married the other's ex-wife to spite him, but that routine is amazing, and insanely difficult to do. So, worth it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
And one of my favourite routines from Singin' in the Rain, Moses Supposes:

Look how perfectly in time Kelly and Donald O'Connor are - their concentration is absolutely superhuman, all enhanced by Donen's camera.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
For Mr Donen, Gene Kelly's incredible roller skates routine from It's Always Fair Weather:

OK, they fell out massively during the production, and one of them married the other's ex-wife to spite him, but that routine is amazing, and insanely difficult to do. So, worth it.
Yeah, I can do the move from 3:07 to 3:09 and that's about it. :gobs:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Look how perfectly in time Kelly and Donald O'Connor are - their concentration is absolutely superhuman, all enhanced by Donen's camera.
Even all these years later, Kelly's athleticism still stands out as unreal.

In some ways I've always been more impressed with Donald O'Connor simply for being able to keep up with Kelly.*

More generally, I think O'Connor has been underestimated because he was typically doing comedic routines. He was a remarkable dancer all on his own.

* Analogous to greatly respecting Ginger for keeping up with Fred.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Donen's Charade had the dubious honour of slipping into the Public Domain, on account of a copyright date being missed from the credits.

I think it was rectified later. Meanwhile, the Hitchcockian romp crept onto the market in the form of some of the most horrible DVDs known to mankind, one of them a Freebie from a UK newspaper. If tempted by this rather perverse winter-spring romance, only the Universal-badged product should be contemplated.

The dance pictures were his métier, I suppose and I had forgotten that he did the original Bedazzled, which appealed to my teenage agnosticism, when stumbled across on an early tv outing. Nuns on trampolines were rarer then!

RIP Mr. Donen, unless you are destined for the other place! :nun:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
There's a musical number in Bedazzled, too:

Let's hear it for Drimble Wedge and the Vegetation! "You fill me with inertia..."