The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
One of those pop or rock recluses who was always hoped would make a comeback. I suppose he wasn't interested, but there's no chance of it now. RIP.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
"I'm playing all the right notes..."
The sketch long predates Mr. Preview's appearance on the show. It can be heard in its original form on the Morcambe & Wise 1963 LP, which sold very few copies at full price. Reissued about 1967 on Music For Pleasure, it sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

Previn made the transition from jazz pianist to orchestral conductor - growing up in Hollywood, where musicians were expected to be versatile, eased that transition. Critics expected him to have an edgy and instinctive way with orchestral music but Previn was essentially a technician, his classics often careful and over-rehearsed. In the UK, he fitted a position that Malcolm Sargent had vacated: the popular face of classical music. In the 1970s, his television shows had a wide appeal - hence his Morcambe & Wise moment.

He was a very fine musican, though his original compositions - he wrote two operas, significantly with librettos drawn from famous films - seem unlikely to be revived much. Bigphoot2 is right, I'm sure, to think he will be remembered best for his actual film scores.

RIP Mr. Previn. The notes were always in the right order! :clap:

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Veteran journalist Mike Willesee dead at 76
Veteran Australian journalist Mike Willesee has died at the age of 76 after a battle with throat cancer.

Willesee became a household name after fronting the ABC's Four Corners for two years from 1969 and was described as a "ground breaker" of Australian journalism.

He then left the national broadcaster, persuading Channel Nine to allow him to start his own nightly program in November 1971 — A Current Affair.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-01/journalism-icon-mike-willesee-dead-at-76/10861942

A small aside, my father and I once had lunch with him by the pool at the hotel we were all staying at in Bali. Actress Paula Duncan was also there and we just happened to be the only Australians by the pool at the time (hard to believe in Bali , I know) and we all got chatting. A nice guy, though I'm sure he'll be remembered for all eternity for the time he presented his show as drunk as a skunk. Great viewing it was. He was a hard hitting journo and reporter, who sometimes got it wrong and will be hugely missed by the Aussie t.v community. Another giant down.

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Keith Flint of The Prodigy has died at 49. Seems he was found deceased at home.

Edit: BBC News says 'he was found dead at his home in Dunmow, Essex, on Monday morning.'

Police said they were "called to concerns for the welfare of a man" just after 08:00 GMT. "Sadly, a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene."'
It's not being treated as a suspicious death.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Shit .. I used to watch Keith Flint hard stepping at Shelly's in Stoke .. the only person raving harder than him was Mark E.G. who I once watched knee himself in the face, we used to dance floor battle them :badge: ... true hardcore ravers

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Had to laugh at that!
So did we .. Mark E.G. was ****ing crazy! .. Keith Flint was a brilliant dancer though, he combined hard step, cross step and Kinetic 2 step .. I could start a thread about what those were and where they came from. To cut a very long story short, those steps you can see him doing in the vid I've posted were a spin off of the breakdance years which were a spin off of the Lindy Hop years.