The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I preferred that.
It was good, wasn't it? One half-season and pfft, that was it. Meanwhile Airwolf made it to a billion episodes using the same clips of flying footage repeated over and over. And you wouldn't get James Farentino playing a bloody cello in the opening credits.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
It was good, wasn't it? One half-season and pfft, that was it. Meanwhile Airwolf made it to a billion episodes using the same clips of flying footage repeated over and over. And you wouldn't get James Farentino playing a bloody cello in the opening credits.
Quite. Plus 'better helicopter'.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Someone who died far too young...

Three-time world champion and Olympic silver medallist Kelly Catlin has died aged 23, USA Cycling has confirmed.
Catlin won three straight team pursuit world titles on the track from 2016 to 2018, claiming silver in the same event at the Rio 2016 Games.
She competed for Rally UHC Cycling on the road and was studying for a graduate degree at Stanford University.

...graduated from the University of Minnesota last year with degrees in mathematics and Chinese and was studying computational and mathematical engineering at Stanford University in California.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/47518643

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Someone who died far too young...

Three-time world champion and Olympic silver medallist Kelly Catlin has died aged 23, USA Cycling has confirmed.
Catlin won three straight team pursuit world titles on the track from 2016 to 2018, claiming silver in the same event at the Rio 2016 Games.
She competed for Rally UHC Cycling on the road and was studying for a graduate degree at Stanford University.

...graduated from the University of Minnesota last year with degrees in mathematics and Chinese and was studying computational and mathematical engineering at Stanford University in California.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/47518643
I can't get my head around why after suffering concussion she was not checked out for post-concussion syndrome. Seems obvious with the family citing personality change after her head injury.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I can't get my head around why after suffering concussion she was not checked out for post-concussion syndrome. Seems obvious with the family citing personality change after her head injury.
Is that what she's died of? I didn't see that in the report.

Awful business, head injuries. They should never be neglected.

Tribble

Furry Idiot
The last surviving member of the real-life Great Escape team has died.

Former squadron leader Dick Churchill was one of 76 airmen whose escape from the Stalag Luft III camp in Nazi Germany in 1944 was immortalised in the Hollywood film starring Steve McQueen.

Mr Churchill, who lived in Crediton, Devon, died on Wednesday, aged 99.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47257570
The last veteran of World War Two's Great Escape has died at the age of 101 - just days before the 75th anniversary of the audacious bid for freedom.

Jack Lyon, a former RAF navigator, died at his home in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, on Friday.

He was lookout during the breakout bid from Stalag Luft III in 1944, but the escape tunnel was uncovered before he had the chance to get out himself.

Ironically, he said the plot being rumbled probably saved his life.

According to the RAF Benevolent Fund, he had been the last known living veteran of the escape attempt, which became the subject of a Hollywood film in 1963.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-47540103

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The incredible Hal Blaine dies aged 90:
Hal's obit

You may not know his name, but you'll know his drumming. From the obit:
"According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted him in 2000, Blaine "certainly played on more hit records than any drummer in the rock era, including 40 number one singles and 150 that made the [US] top 10."

Among those songs were Elvis Presley's Return to Sender, The Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man, the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations, Simon & Garfunkel's Mrs Robinson, The Mamas and the Papas' California Dreamin' and the theme song to Batman.

Blaine also played on eight songs that won a Grammy for record of the year, including Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, 5th Dimension's Aquarius/Let The Sunshine and Frank Sinatra's Strangers In the Night."

And of course the iconic "boom-buh-boom bang!" at the start of The Ronettes' Be My Baby, much imitated. RIP.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Keith Flint of The Prodigy has died at 49. Seems he was found deceased at home.

Edit: BBC News says 'he was found dead at his home in Dunmow, Essex, on Monday morning.'

It's not being treated as a suspicious death.
I remember being backstage at a festival, (I had contacts back then), and watching Keith driving around trying to run people over in a golf cart. :D

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I read today that she was checked for concussion, was advised to rest & take it easy but she was so driven she wouldn't give up cycling & as a racer she pushed herself hard. Her family said she had developed memory problems post accident & had a suicide attempt with pills in January. Very sad.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I read today that she was checked for concussion, was advised to rest & take it easy but she was so driven she wouldn't give up cycling & as a racer she pushed herself hard. Her family said she had developed memory problems post accident & had a suicide attempt with pills in January. Very sad.
Poor girl, needing so much to compete that she neglected her health.

Reminds me of the death of Natasha Richardson, who suffered a head injury in a skiing accident and refused to get in the ambulance called for her. She'd most likely have survived if she'd gone to hospital.

This was on the nineteenth of March 2009, ten years ago this week!

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Dominick J. Arena, 89, police chief who arrested Ted Kennedy after Chappaquiddick has recently died.

When a scuba diver brought Mary Jo Kopechne’s body up from the mostly submerged car by the bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, Edgartown Police Chief Dominick J. Arena cradled her for a moment.
“I was sitting and I put my arms around her and pulled her up,” he would later testify.
Mr. Arena, who was 89 when he died March 3, didn’t know Kopechne’s name as he sat there that morning wearing swimming trunks he had borrowed from a nearby residence.
And he wouldn’t learn until later that day, on July 19, 1969, that she had been a passenger in a car driven by US Senator Edward M. Kennedy that had gone off the Dyke Bridge shortly before midnight, flipping and landing top-down in the water.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/o...ppaquiddick/WxWhTUIJCzqkGBKeYfvqVM/story.html

R.I.P. Dick Dale, him who did this guitar stuff and mostly known as the king of surf rock, 81

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47606592

Dick on the Ed Sullivan show .. SURFARI!

Like many of you I suppose, I only discovered Dick Dale's unique sound after Tarantino chose Misirlou as the iconic opening theme to Pulp Fiction.
Playing that Strat like a mandolin (or perhaps Bazooki is more appropriate, given the Greek origins of Misirlou) and riffing on just one string was truly inspired. RIP to a genuine musical pioneer and legend.