The R.I.P. Thread

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
No, I agree that it isn't necessarily bad, but I do find it slightly depressing, personally.

Shared knowledge and experience are the cornerstones of unity and it's not like we don't have enough forces tugging the family and the nation apart. Those epic viewing figures of the 70s and 80s were indicative of the fact that a lot of families were watching together in the front room and had many shared points of reference. My grandfather, my father and me could all enjoy the Sunday afternoon war film together after our roast, and everybody would be fairly content with the Two Ronnies of a Saturday evening.

I gave up watching television all together after graduation (Radio 4 was pretty much on twenty-four hours a day) and I quickly realised how many conversations, jokes and debates were closed to me, so I'm as indicative of the problem as anybody else.

You gain and you lose, but perhaps I'm noticing more of the latter than the former lately.
I'm increasingly unhappy with the situation, when I was younger I'd have been more blasé or dismissive about it. Now, like yourself I'm increasingly worried about polarisation. It's easy to attack TV but at least that give people a cultural lingua franca, radio as well, to a lesser extent. My best guess is that the biggest factor here is the internet, which has allowed us all to culturally insulate ourselves, though I suspect that there is more going on than that.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm increasingly unhappy with the situation, when I was younger I'd have been more blasé or dismissive about it. Now, like yourself I'm increasingly worried about polarisation. It's easy to attack TV but at least that give people a cultural lingua franca, radio as well, to a lesser extent. My best guess is that the biggest factor here is the internet, which has allowed us all to culturally insulate ourselves, though I suspect that there is more going on than that.
We are in agreement, Mr Weary.

Have you ever heard of Weary Dunlop?

He was a great man, but I think he passed away prior to the creation of this thread.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
No, just Googled him, died 93. Did you bring him up because of the name?

I named myself after one of Edward Gorey's nom de plumes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Gorey
Yes, just free association (Mallet's mallet) from Ogden Weary to Weary Dunlop.

Which by similar process brings me to the name game. Has anybody played it?

Players sit around a table with pints in front of them. The first player names a 'famous person' (who must be known to at least one other player) and play continues clockwise with each person required to name another famous person whose christian name begins with the same letter as the previous famous person's surname: Ogden Weary > Walter Sicket > Sophie Dahl.

When the person offered has christian and surname beginning with the same letter, the direction of play reverses and it's back to the turn of the person who spoke before you: Ogden Weary > William Wallace < Weary Dunlop.

Names offered which typically run to three or more names or initials skip players in the circle: Ogden Weary > Wile E. Coyote > [Skip] Cameron Crowe < Cecil Rhodes. (This get amusingly good: Marvin The Paranoid Android etc.)

THE CATCH: you must 'drink while you think' (only sipping, but the worse you play, the more you drink, the worse you play) and you should really have another pint waiting on the table.

I thought this was a well-known game, but I might well be wrong.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Bob Hawke, Australia's 23rd prime minister, dies aged 89

Mr Hawke led the country and his party from 1983 to 1991, and his contribution to public life helped shape modern Australia.

A great conciliator, Mr Hawke's achievements as prime minister included modernising the economy and integrating it into the global community, establishing Medicare, and championing environmental issues.

He won four federal elections, making him Labor's longest-serving prime minister and Australia's third-longest-serving prime minister behind Robert Menzies and John Howard.

Mr Hawke is survived by his wife and biographer Blanche d'Alpuget, and his three children — Susan, Stephen and Rosslyn.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...alian-prime-minister-and-labor-leader/6562902

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty man...

The don't make P.Ms like him any more.
That they don't. Russel Crowe's Twitter tribute reads:
A great man who made this country confident.
A great man who never lost his humility.
Guinness book of records 1954 , 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds.
Rhodes Scholar.
Trade Union Leader.
Prime Minister.
Statesman.
Thanks for everything Mr Hawke.

skinny

Antediluvian
Preemptive messages of condolence to the family and followers of Robert James Lee Bloody Hawke. He's announced he won't make the next election. Withdrawing his ticket. Handing in his union membership. Looking the holy transition in the face with stoic resignation. 90 not out. He's carried his bat beyond all hopes. Bob Hawke is more than some silver bodgie pissartist. He's one of us and will be celebrated when the day comes.

Things I know about Bob: He was a Rhodes Scholar, born at Bordertown in South Australia, the son of a Methodist church minister. Hard as nails champion of the rights of blue collar workers all over our country. A keen cricket fan and a canny politician. Still holds some kind of record for the yard glass at Oxford. Deeply flawed in both personal and political terms - arguably one of the pm_s the country needed to be rescued from (aren't they all, in the end?).

What I don't know about Bob but everybody speculates about him: He must have plenty of skeletons crumbling in the closet from his days as chief headkicker for the ACTU. He seems confident going into the pavilion though.

Thanks for all the good you did, Bob. Hope your journey into the next realm is a peaceful one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...health-labor-to-win-federal-election/10673364
Go on, Bob.
Any boss who sacks anyone for not turning up today is a bum.

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Lost a few tiles on re-entry..
Her day has come.

Hollywood star Doris Day, whose films made her one of the biggest female stars of all time, has died aged 97.

The singer turned actress enjoyed success in such films as Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk and had a hit in 1956 with Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be). Her screen partnership with Rock Hudson was one of the biggest box-office draws of the 1950s and '60s.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

My introduction to Doris Day, when I was little, was 'On Moonlight Bay' and 'By The Light Of The Silvery Moon'. I absolutely loved those films, and I've watched them many times since.

RIP Doris.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
‘Caine Mutiny,’ ‘Winds of War’ author Herman Wouk has died

I can remember his books on the shelves of our home all of my childhood. He made it to 103. A wonderful literary talent.

NEW YORK (AP) — Herman Wouk, the versatile, Pulitzer Prize winning author of such million-selling novels as “The Caine Mutiny” and “The Winds of War” whose steady Jewish faith inspired his stories of religious values and secular success, died on Friday at 103.

Wouk was just 10 days shy of his 104th birthday and was working on a book until the end, said his literary agent Amy Rennert.

Rennert said Wouk died in his sleep at his home in Palm Springs, California, where he settled after spending many years in Washington, D.C.

https://www.apnews.com/1ee28153a1e54f52a516352171c7f41d

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Niki Lauda, Austrian Formula 1 legend, dies at 70

A great life, an exciting life and at times and exceedingly tough life. Lived hard and played hard and won. I'm not a motor sports fan though I do enjoy Formula 1 and he, without a doubt was one of the greats.

Three-time Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70.

The legendary Austrian, one of the best-known figures in motor racing, took the title for Ferrari in 1975 and 1977 and McLaren in 1984.

For many, he will be remembered for his remarkable recovery and return to racing after being badly burned in a crash in the 1976 German Grand Prix.

Lauda, who underwent a lung transplant in August, "passed away peacefully" on Monday, his family said.

After his career as a racing driver, he became an airline entrepreneur and, most recently, a non-executive chairman for the Formula 1 Mercedes team, instrumental in bringing in British driver Lewis Hamilton, who has won five world championships.

"His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur are and will remain unforgettable, his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain a role model and a benchmark for all of us," his family's statement said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Niki Lauda, Austrian Formula 1 legend, dies at 70

A great life, an exciting life and at times and exceedingly tough life. Lived hard and played hard and won. I'm not a motor sports fan though I do enjoy Formula 1 and he, without a doubt was one of the greats.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660
I only remember him because there was a piss poor joke about him doing the rounds when I was in middle school.

Who won the 1977 Grand Prix?

Lauda.

WHO WON THE 1977 GRAND PRIX

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
‘Caine Mutiny,’ ‘Winds of War’ author Herman Wouk has died

I can remember his books on the shelves of our home all of my childhood. He made it to 103. A wonderful literary talent.

https://www.apnews.com/1ee28153a1e54f52a516352171c7f41d
I bought some books in a charity shop today, one of which was Stephen King's short story collection, Bazaar of Bad Dreams, I flipped it open and the first story I came to was Herman Wouk is Still Alive.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Jake Black of Alabama 3 has died:
Obit

No further details, but he couldn't have been that old, could he? Maybe he was. Anyway, best known for the theme tune to The Sopranos, but his work was extensive, Ain't Going to Goa is particularly amusing. RIP.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Judith Kerr, the writer, who has died aged 95, created the popular children’s character Mog, the foolish but well-meaning black-striped tabby cat, and was the author of the best-selling The Tiger Who Came to Tea (1968).
Judith Kerr drew on real life in her writing. She began the 16-book Mog series with Mog The Forgetful Cat (1970), while her husband, the writer Nigel Kneale, was busy on Quatermass, the BBC television science-fiction horror series. But while he drew on the real threat of the atomic bomb, she drew on a more homely reality – the developing personalities of her own young family.
Full Obituary (Paywall):​
Guardian Version:
The Tiger Who Came to Tea 1.jpg

Miss Yith has both The Tiger Who Came to Tea and the first Mog: The Forgetful Cat book on her shelf and we've read both titles dozens of times in bed and pored over the lovely illustrations. I knew the books were published in the 60s and had assumed she'd passed on some time ago, but it seems that she was still with us and I never knew.

R.I.P. and thank you.

Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 23.30.48.png

Edit: I've never seen a picture of her before, but I now find that she looked more or less the way I thought she should.

TELEMMGLPICT000198230137_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqM37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7P7fePRSdVAmyPRgpdEKeZ8.jpeg