The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm sure his family knows about his alcoholism [if he was]. If he wasn't & it was just made up by the media it's a different matter. The obituary I read mentioned his humour, hard drinking & fighting, as well as the often excellent film/tv roles. He was going to be in Easy Rider until he fought with Dennis Hopper & was replaced by Jack Nicholson.

What's wrong with telling things as they are rather than some air-brushed version?
Torn was one of those celebrities who had multiple quite distinct eras of popularity and was therefore possibly familiar to different audiences under different reputations. He was well-known in the 1950's / 1960's as a dramatic actor, usually playing dark characters. More recently he was best known for playing crusty characters in a comedic context. In between these two contrasting eras / reputations lay his time "in the desert" - effectively blacklisted or avoided, and stuck with the onus of being a celebrity who couldn't get work.

My point is that the entire course of Torn's life can't be reasonably mapped without addressing the middle / outcast period. I don't claim to know whether, or to what extent, alcoholism was involved.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If you want to see how out of it Rip Torn could get, check out the end of Norman Mailer's film Maidstone, a self-regarding bit of maverick politic-making. Torn was disappointed it was too safe, so on camera tried to murder Mailer with a hammer. Not Mailer's character - Norm himself. They left it in the film, and Rip was right, it is the most interesting part. But probably best not repeated.

His alcoholism was in the spotlight again when he made headlines for breaking into a bank while drunk, under the mistaken belief it was his own house. So it's been well-publicised.

Anyway, Torn may have been crazy, but he was a great actor, and I will always treasure Artie in The Larry Sanders Show, a brilliant character brilliantly portrayed. It was nice to see he could be really funny. He was also the inspiration for Mr Wednesday in American Gods.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
RIP Freddie Jones too, a great character actor, favourite of David Lynch, soap opera star, performer in Hammer's best Frankenstein film, too much to mention. Always a terrific presence no matter what.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
RIP Freddie Jones too, a great character actor, favourite of David Lynch, soap opera star, performer in Hammer's best Frankenstein film, too much to mention. Always a terrific presence no matter what.
He was definitely one of my favourite actors.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I'm sure his family knows about his alcoholism [if he was]. If he wasn't & it was just made up by the media it's a different matter. The obituary I read mentioned his humour, hard drinking & fighting, as well as the often excellent film/tv roles. He was going to be in Easy Rider until he fought with Dennis Hopper & was replaced by Jack Nicholson.

What's wrong with telling things as they are rather than some air-brushed version?
Nothing.it's about have respect for his family.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Denise Nickerson, Violet in 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory,' has died

Actress Denise Nickerson, best known for her role as chatty gum-chewer Violet Beauregarde in 1971's "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory," has died, according to multiple reports citing a Facebook post from her family.

She was 62.

Her son and daughter-in-law have said Nickerson suffered a stroke last year from which she had been unable to fully recover, according to their public family Facebook page. ...

Nickerson's last acting credit was in 1978. Prior to her exit from Hollywood, she appeared in "The Brady Bunch" and the cult television series "Dark Shadows."

Her role in the iconic Roald Dahl adaptation remains her most celebrated work. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/entertainment/denise-nickerson/index.html

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I interviewed him in '90 with Dan Coulson (fellow film student and fellow housemate) and he was animated although very keen to reassure us he was NOT and never had been that teacher in A Clockwork Orange .. (a lot of people were mistaking that he had been and it was starting to piss him off)

I interviewed him in '90 with Dan Coulson (fellow film student and fellow housemate) and he was animated although very keen to reassure us he was NOT and never had been that teacher in A Clockwork Orange .. (a lot of people were mistaking that he had been and it was starting to piss him off)
Ha, a friend thought that was him too!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That was Aubrey Morris, equally prolific but they don't look too much the same - they did sound similar, though.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Andrea Camilleri, creator of Inspector Montalbano, has died at the age of 93 - not a bad age, as he always seemed to be pictured with cigarette in hand!

I discovered his work before the TV programme as I'm a voracious reader of crime fiction from all over the world – Peter Corris from Australia, Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, and Henning Mankell from Sweden, Norway's Jo Nesbø – though I do enjoy the TV series and quite fancy a trip to Sicily as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-creator-of-inspector-montalbano-dies-aged-93

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
The man who gave us the Shake n' Vac (among many others) jingle has died.

Shake n' Vac jingle maker Jonathan Hodge, from Folkestone, dies aged 78

KENT TRAVEL NEWS
SIGN ME UP FOR NEWS ALERTS

By Sam Williams
[email protected]

A composer who wrote more than 2,000 jingles for TV and radio - including the famous Shake n' Vac tune - has died.
Tributes have been paid to "funny and caring" Jonathan Hodge, from Folkestone, following his death aged 78.
etc
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkes...r6vhdRr1GH2T_AQzQIDsXivoxS5UlRebUaem3HRvJir1w