The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm sure his family knows about his alcoholism [if he was]. If he wasn't & it was just made up by the media it's a different matter. The obituary I read mentioned his humour, hard drinking & fighting, as well as the often excellent film/tv roles. He was going to be in Easy Rider until he fought with Dennis Hopper & was replaced by Jack Nicholson.

What's wrong with telling things as they are rather than some air-brushed version?
Torn was one of those celebrities who had multiple quite distinct eras of popularity and was therefore possibly familiar to different audiences under different reputations. He was well-known in the 1950's / 1960's as a dramatic actor, usually playing dark characters. More recently he was best known for playing crusty characters in a comedic context. In between these two contrasting eras / reputations lay his time "in the desert" - effectively blacklisted or avoided, and stuck with the onus of being a celebrity who couldn't get work.

My point is that the entire course of Torn's life can't be reasonably mapped without addressing the middle / outcast period. I don't claim to know whether, or to what extent, alcoholism was involved.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If you want to see how out of it Rip Torn could get, check out the end of Norman Mailer's film Maidstone, a self-regarding bit of maverick politic-making. Torn was disappointed it was too safe, so on camera tried to murder Mailer with a hammer. Not Mailer's character - Norm himself. They left it in the film, and Rip was right, it is the most interesting part. But probably best not repeated.

His alcoholism was in the spotlight again when he made headlines for breaking into a bank while drunk, under the mistaken belief it was his own house. So it's been well-publicised.

Anyway, Torn may have been crazy, but he was a great actor, and I will always treasure Artie in The Larry Sanders Show, a brilliant character brilliantly portrayed. It was nice to see he could be really funny. He was also the inspiration for Mr Wednesday in American Gods.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
RIP Freddie Jones too, a great character actor, favourite of David Lynch, soap opera star, performer in Hammer's best Frankenstein film, too much to mention. Always a terrific presence no matter what.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
RIP Freddie Jones too, a great character actor, favourite of David Lynch, soap opera star, performer in Hammer's best Frankenstein film, too much to mention. Always a terrific presence no matter what.
He was definitely one of my favourite actors.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I'm sure his family knows about his alcoholism [if he was]. If he wasn't & it was just made up by the media it's a different matter. The obituary I read mentioned his humour, hard drinking & fighting, as well as the often excellent film/tv roles. He was going to be in Easy Rider until he fought with Dennis Hopper & was replaced by Jack Nicholson.

What's wrong with telling things as they are rather than some air-brushed version?
Nothing.it's about have respect for his family.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Denise Nickerson, Violet in 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory,' has died

Actress Denise Nickerson, best known for her role as chatty gum-chewer Violet Beauregarde in 1971's "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory," has died, according to multiple reports citing a Facebook post from her family.

She was 62.

Her son and daughter-in-law have said Nickerson suffered a stroke last year from which she had been unable to fully recover, according to their public family Facebook page. ...

Nickerson's last acting credit was in 1978. Prior to her exit from Hollywood, she appeared in "The Brady Bunch" and the cult television series "Dark Shadows."

Her role in the iconic Roald Dahl adaptation remains her most celebrated work. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/entertainment/denise-nickerson/index.html

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I interviewed him in '90 with Dan Coulson (fellow film student and fellow housemate) and he was animated although very keen to reassure us he was NOT and never had been that teacher in A Clockwork Orange .. (a lot of people were mistaking that he had been and it was starting to piss him off)

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
I interviewed him in '90 with Dan Coulson (fellow film student and fellow housemate) and he was animated although very keen to reassure us he was NOT and never had been that teacher in A Clockwork Orange .. (a lot of people were mistaking that he had been and it was starting to piss him off)
Ha, a friend thought that was him too!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That was Aubrey Morris, equally prolific but they don't look too much the same - they did sound similar, though.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Andrea Camilleri, creator of Inspector Montalbano, has died at the age of 93 - not a bad age, as he always seemed to be pictured with cigarette in hand!

I discovered his work before the TV programme as I'm a voracious reader of crime fiction from all over the world – Peter Corris from Australia, Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, and Henning Mankell from Sweden, Norway's Jo Nesbø – though I do enjoy the TV series and quite fancy a trip to Sicily as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-creator-of-inspector-montalbano-dies-aged-93

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
The man who gave us the Shake n' Vac (among many others) jingle has died.

Shake n' Vac jingle maker Jonathan Hodge, from Folkestone, dies aged 78

KENT TRAVEL NEWS
SIGN ME UP FOR NEWS ALERTS

By Sam Williams
[email protected]

A composer who wrote more than 2,000 jingles for TV and radio - including the famous Shake n' Vac tune - has died.
Tributes have been paid to "funny and caring" Jonathan Hodge, from Folkestone, following his death aged 78.
etc
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkes...r6vhdRr1GH2T_AQzQIDsXivoxS5UlRebUaem3HRvJir1w

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Paul Krassner was one of the few Sixties countercultural celebrities to maintain celebrity in other fields and endeavors in subsequent decades. He was the founder of The Realist. He was also one of Kesey's 'Merry Pranksters'.
1960s prankster Paul Krassner, who named Yippies, dies at 87

Paul Krassner, the publisher, author and radical political activist on the front lines of 1960s counterculture who helped tie together his loose-knit prankster group by naming them the Yippies, died Sunday in Southern California, his daughter said.

Krassner died at his home in Desert Hot Springs, Holly Krassner Dawson told The Associated Press. He was 87 and had recently transitioned to hospice care after an illness ... She didn’t say what the illness was.

The Yippies, who included Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman and were otherwise known as the Youth International Party, briefly became notorious for such stunts as running a pig for president and throwing dollar bills onto the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Hoffman and Rubin, but not Krassner, were among the so-called “Chicago 7” charged with inciting riots at 1968′s chaotic Democratic National Convention.

By the end of the decade, most of the group’s members had faded into obscurity. But not Krassner, who constantly reinvented himself, becoming a public speaker, freelance writer, stand-up comedian, celebrity interviewer and author of nearly a dozen books. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/1e5900374900409aa7b24c2161ba1d46

See Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krassner

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Australian Tennis star Peter McNamara dies aged 64

He and his doubles partner Paul McNamee were great characters on the court, always enjoying a laugh and seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Former Australian Davis Cup tennis star Peter McNamara has died from cancer aged 64.

McNamara, who reached a career-high No.7 in the world in 1983, beat all-time greats Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl to win two of his five singles titles.

But he is perhaps best remembered for his successful doubles partnership with Paul McNamee, the duo twice winning Wimbledon, in 1980 and 1982 as well as the 1979 Australian Open.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...amara-dies-aged-64/ar-AAEEIEg?ocid=spartandhp

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Paul Krassner was one of the few Sixties countercultural celebrities to maintain celebrity in other fields and endeavors in subsequent decades. He was the founder of The Realist. He was also one of Kesey's 'Merry Pranksters'.

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/21/us/north-carolina-father-wave-killed/index.html

See Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krassner
Read a few copies of The Realist way back when, also got one Krassner's books of interviews, good writer, a man of principle. RIP.

Edit: By the way, @EnolaGaia , you've posted the wrong link for his obit!

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
David Hedison, 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' Actor, Dies at 92

9:06 AM PDT 7/22/2019 by Mike Barnes

David Hedison, who starred as Captain Lee Crane on the 1960s ABC submarine series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, died Thursday in Los Angeles, a family spokeswoman announced. He was 92.

The handsome actor also portrayed scientist André Delambre, who got turned into an insect in The Fly (1958) long before Jeff Goldblum ever did, and he played CIA operative Felix Leiter in the James Bond films Live and Let Die (1973) and Licence to Kill (1989).
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...0wEEAp-7PQgefU65G0_p93WzxdzZAxF3R6aHT-ORSI4E4

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Loved Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea when I was a kid. I'm amazed that it's never been remade or rebooted or whatever it is Hollywood does to ruin stuff from my childhood.
Well there was SeaQuest - no, you're right, it has NEVER BEEN REBOOTED.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Loved Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea when I was a kid. I'm amazed that it's never been remade or rebooted or whatever it is Hollywood does to ruin stuff from my childhood.
Seaview was my first big project in Lego (back when the bricks were sold by the sack, not by the kit) - the lack of sophistication was easily compensated by the surplus of imagination.