The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Loved Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea when I was a kid. ...
I was intensely interested in submarines as a kid. The 1961 film was a huge deal to me at age 9. It was also the occasion for a life milestone - being allowed to attend a movie solo, without a parent or other adult being required to sit through it with me.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
My first solo grown-up movie was 2001 Space Odyssey _ i won't pretend I understood it at age eight and I thought the ape-men were real (but so did the Oscar panel apparently when they gave best make-up to Planet of the Apes that year).
That was nearly my first solo grown up movie too, ABC cinema in Leeds were shoing it in the afternoon somewhere in the 1980s, parents took me there then we found the schedule was wrong and it wasn't on, as they were set on ditching me at the cinema for a couple of hours I ended up going to see SOB instead. Seriously. :O

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Paranormal Author Rosemary Ellen Guiley Has Passed Away

She was a prolific writer on many a Fortean topic and will be sorely missed by many. Probably most of us will have a title or two of her's sitting on our bookshelves.

Calling the late Rosemary Ellen Guiley a “paranormal author” is an unfair description best blamed on the character limits imposed by headlines. A better portrayal of this dear, multi-faceted and much-beloved woman, who passed away suddenly on July 18th, comes from the pen of none other than Rosemary Ellen Guiley herself:
https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/07/in-memory-of-paranormal-author-rosemary-ellen-guiley/

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Aussie Cooking Legend Margaret Fulton OAM, dead, aged 94

It'd be Un-Australian to not own at least one of her cookbooks or to have not cooked at least one of her recipes.

Celebrated food writer Margaret Fulton, OAM, has died at the age of 94.
In a statement, her family said they were “mourning the loss of their loving, inspirational and treasured mother, grandmother and great-grandmother early this morning”.

She was known as “the woman who taught Australia to cook.”

Indeed, such was the lifelong drive of the diminutive matriarch of Australian home cookery that she released her 21st book on the cusp of her 85th birthday, back in 2009.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...5/news-story/75a16384f4e58b783426f42f6c143255

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I always thought he was better than many of the roles given him - some of which he used to lift the overall merits of otherwise mediocre (or arguably worse ... ) productions.

It was never clear whether he was chosen for lesser-quality roles because he was underrated, versus being underrated owing to the multiple lesser roles in which he appeared.

RIP ...

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Just adding the words in text form

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Also Ladyhawke and buns to die for....

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Rutger Hauer has died

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

Stole every scene in Bladerunner and although he never hit the peaks he should have, made a lot of poor films immensely watchable.
I agree with both points. I would put Flesh + Blood (1985) in the category indicated in bold. I recall watching it on television in the wee hours of the morning for some reason. I found the film itself uninspiring but Hauer's presence made it tolerable.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
The earlier Paul Verhoeven films are better than Flesh + Blood -- Rutger Hauer had roles in Turkish Delight, Katie Tippel, Soldier of Orange and Spetters, usually playing the lead.

Verhoeven fell out with Hauer during Flesh + Blood, which is why he never appeared in any of his American movies. They eventually made up, with Verhoeven offering him a small role in Black Book, but Hauer said let's wait till something bigger comes along... which sadly never happened :(

henry

still speeding
the hitcher of course, totally forgotten about that ... iconic, and directly responsible for the sale of a lot of rainwear

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I'm really sad about that. He MADE Blade Runner.
RIP, Rutger. None of those moments will be lost in time.
A Classic cyber punk movie as well.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Incredibly charismatic actor, Rutger Hauer, he made a lot of tat, but he was terrific in plenty of things, good and bad. In addition to the above (and seek out Soldier of Orange if you haven't seen it!) I'd add Split Second, a British sci-fi horror that is so absurd it was probably a spoof. Rutger's really funny in it! RIP.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I agree with both points. I would put Flesh + Blood (1985) in the category indicated in bold. I recall watching it on television in the wee hours of the morning for some reason. I found the film itself uninspiring but Hauer's presence made it tolerable.
Thanks, for that you big ol' Gingertabby beast thing. In my family of black cats we sing war songs about you Ginger lot :)

(our big black boy is currently engaged in several ongoing fights with the ginger beast across the road - sorry should be in the cats thread).

Last edited:

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Thanks, for that you big ol' Gingertabby beast thing. In my family of black cats we sing war songs about you Ginger lot :)

(our big black boy is currently engaged in several ongoing fights with the ginger beast across the road - sorry should be in the cats thread).
You're very welcome, NF! I am honoured by your war songs. My Viking ancestors would be pleased.

I'll put my further thoughts about combative felines in the cats thread.