The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Wayne Allwine, voice of Mickey Mouse
I'm only posting about Allwine's death because I enjoyed this bit,

Allwine began working with fellow voice artist Russi Taylor, who had taken on the job of speaking for Minnie Mouse. The couple proved compatible both in and out of their roles and they married in 1991.

At first, Disney, who have always maintained that Mickey and Minnie are "just good friends", were nervous about the liaison becoming public and, around the studio, their relationship was referred to as "the love that dare not squeak its name".
Update ... Ten years later, Russi Taylor herself has died ...

Russi Taylor, an actress who gave voice to Minnie Mouse for more than three decades, has died.

... Taylor died Friday in Glendale, California, Disney said. She was 75. The cause was not immediately clear.

Taylor was married to the man who voiced Mickey Mouse opposite her, Wayne Allwine, from 1991 until his death in 2009.

A native of Cambridge, Massachusetts, Taylor became the official voice of Minnie in 1986, beating out more than 200 competitors who auditioned. She voiced Minnie across Disney projects in film, television and theme parks, including the movie “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” ...

She also provided voices for many other minor Disney characters and for several smaller characters on “The Simpsons,” including Bart’s nerdy classmate Martin Prince.
https://www.apnews.com/9a20290a8c8c4750be1f7e3276b92de4

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Rutger Hauer has died

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

Stole every scene in Bladerunner and although he never hit the peaks he should have, made a lot of poor films immensely watchable.

Just listened to the Johnny Vaughan podcast from his radio show when he went to interview RH, way back, and just how lovely Rutger Hauer was, playing pool laughing, finding stuff so funny, but I'd heard that from other sources that he was a great bloke.

https://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/podcasts/johnny-vaughan-radio-x/

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I have often posted links to Youtube videos by "EMG Colonel"

There are thousands of them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCya7WTG2pJSM1x78atI8GXQ

They are not visually splendid. The Colonel remains out-of-sight and introduces them with a ritual greeting:

"Good-day to you, viewers! The Colonel speaking to you live from the preceptory [always pronounced Pryceptory] of British Imperial Youtube BroadCAsting . . ."

Most follow a simple routine, which includes the record-of-the-day being shown to the camera, though details are seldom legible. Some eccentricities are fixtures, such as using the germanic orkester in place of orchestra. He routinely draws a spiral of wax on the surface of the record before playing the side through on the EMG machine, with its vast papier-maché horn, which gives him his assumed identity.

The persona adopted is of an eccentric enthusiast, living in an inherited stately pile with endless time to devote to collecting old gramophones and hundreds of thousands of records. From time to time, the Colonel gives us glimpses of his vast but chaotic library and there is talk of endless work being necessary to make the mansion habitable. Mainly we see the unchanging clutter of his listening-room. In a few of the later videos, he refers to his work for the Civil Service, hinting that the Ministry is hush-hush and his own rôle important.

His taste in music was highly unusual. He could, on occasion, dig out a complete pre-First-War Pathé set of Romeo et Juliet and wade through its many sides in successive videos. He would tantalize us with his 1924 Gerontius - almost complete but he played only a brief excerpt. In the main, he steered away from the classics, preferring to focus on ancient ballads, songs and sketches, novelty numbers, oddities and the whole chaotic Babel of gramophone cast-offs. Here were polkas, vocal gems and recitations. Here were Celeste Octets and ragtime played on bells. It was stuff that a studious child might play once out of curiosity and break out of spite.

He had no time for discographic niceties, such as matrix numbers or exact time and place of recording. He was, however, unfailingly respectful of the record, maintaining silence while it plays and quickly signing off with another ritual form-of-words.

"Hopefully, you enjoyed that. I certainly did! Thank you and goodbye!"

Tea for Two by the Comedien Harmonists
was played on an HMV gramophone and he posted it on the 25th of January this year.

The automatic brake takes a moment to work at the end. It is the end, as the Colonel, otherwise known as Stephen Peppiatt, died five days later. He was just 47.

I was fully aware of another side to Peppiatt, which was hard to reconcile with the constructed persona. He was a good hater. His UK Gramophone-Collecting Forum contains a section with the following subheading

"CLPGS Watch or Society News
Keeping an Eye on the Gramophone "Ring" Members, , Perverts (Names removed) , Foot fetishists, Bankrupt EMG Graverobbers, Cancer sufferer Killers & Spivs. Suicide risk, Adulterer, Girl Buggering TMF Admins, Gay Club visitors, Crapophone Makers & Vendors, Multi - Name Ebay Vendors, Bogus Legal Complainants, Roger Thorne Estate Looters, Matrix Number Bores, Convicted Drug Dealers & Cannabis Growers & users of the "Learned Society" AKA "XXXXXXX XXXXXXX's Magical gramophone Music Tour & "Those boring Old Men with their Wind Up machines " AKA in the Gay World "The Wrinkle room" "

CLPGS is the City of London Phonograph & Gramophone Society on which Pepiatt had declared war. Much of the detail is obscured by the way online accusations were posted and then taken down for legal reasons. By the time his forum moved to its new server, Pepiatt was reduced to cryptic fulminations, some of which remain on the forum.

Now his enemies rejoice and give a very different picture of The Colonel, though it hard to imagine the videos were taken in his room in his mother's council house. It is not the obituary he would have wanted, for sure. Meanwhile, the Youtube legacy of 8,706 videos must be his monument.

We do, finally, get to see The Colonel on this cached page.

RIP. :salute:

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've listened to his stuff from time to time after stumbling across a video of his playing an old gramophone recording of Sir Henry Newbolt reading his own Vita Lampda.

I knew nothing of his other on- and off-online existence and interactions. I feel as if JW has just opened a secret panel to reveal things I'd rather not have seen!

I think I'll remember the alter-ego and wish him a hearty farewell.

henry

still speeding
ive been watching a few interviews ... none so far have mentioned the guiness work, which was definitely the zeitgeist for a while ... i also recall being very taken by legend of the holy drinker, which no one has talked up ... it definitely caught me at the top of my bukowski wave, which then took a decade to crest and peter out ... saw it at the cornerhouse, recommended it to everyone i knew, everyone hated it !

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Just been rewatching Morse recently and his scores created a wonderful atmosphere for the series. RIP
Inspector Morse composer Barrington Pheloung dies
By Mark SavageBBC music reporter
  • 1 hour ago

Barrington Pheloung, who composed the haunting theme for TV drama Inspector Morse, has died at the age of 65.
The Australian-born composer shared several interests with Colin Dexter's irascible detective, not least his love of opera and cryptic crosswords.
He became known for hiding clues and red herrings in the score for the TV show, occasionally revealing the killer's identity in morse code.
The hypnotic title song also included a motif based on the letters M.O.R.S.E.
Pheloung died at home in Australia, his agent confirmed to the BBC. No cause of death was given.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49190169

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Wrestlers pay tribute to Hall of Famer Harley Race who died Friday

I once saw him legitimately break a man's neck in the ring during a match in the very early 70's in Sydney. He was tough.

The “greatest wrestler on God’s green earth” has gone to the squared circle in the sky.

WWE Hall of Famer Harley Race passed away on Friday following a battle with lung cancer. The eight-time NWA world champion was 76.
“Today at 12:50, we lost the man that fought up until the very last of his existence,” read a statement posted on Race’s Twitter page. “More information will be released soon, but just know that he loved pro-wrestling and the fans that loved him. ”
Race, a Missouri native, had been hospitalised last month and was treated by doctors for roughly a week before being sent home last Tuesday. Updates were being posted on his Twitter page about his condition.
“He had a bit of an increase in health today, but still not out of the woods yet,” a tweet read on July 19. “He was World’s Champion for a reason, not just because his ability to wrestle.”
https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-...y/news-story/2e1ccecdbf113de0be2d0619dc6307a0

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
The Few get fewer. RIP
Battle of Britain pilot Archie McInnes dies after 100th birthday

A Battle of Britain veteran has died hours after celebrating his 100th birthday, taking the number of surviving members of "The Few" to five, his biographer said.
Archie McInnes, who retired to Cambridge, flew Hurricanes during the battle in the skies over southern England.
He completed his pilot training aged 21 and was commissioned the next day.
He celebrated his 100th birthday on Wednesday. He then died that night.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-49204090

He made it to 100 though!

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,

I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air . . .

Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A relative was a great fan; she had been to several of his shows and had signed pictures and records. She was all the more devoted, when he was diagnosed with cancer. Reading the obituary, I see he pulled through that crisis, the first of multiple encounters with the big C.

I don't think I ever knowingly heard him perform but Freda considered him a very nice man! Now they can catch up! RIP. :(

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joe Longthorne, now there was a trouper. Real old school entertainer, in the best way. I half expect to hear he will sing at his own funeral. RIP.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
D.A. Pennebaker died at the weekend, he pretty much invented the modern documentary (as opposed to the newsreels and extended newsreels that there were before), and was 94. Because of his efforts, the technology involved in capturing footage greatly improved, and he made the Bob Dylan doc Don't Look Back, the last Ziggy Stardust performance was filmed by him, he made Monterey Pop, and so much more. We owe him a lot. RIP.

Obit

henry

still speeding
RIP dave berman of silver jews, rare true genius, played some gigs and festivals alongside the joos, and did some hanging out in italian castles with them, berman a great character, who up close seemed to have been at deaths door for a decade, his poetry stands up too, RIP

Last edited:

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Very sad to learn of the passing earlier this year of Talk Talk's Mark Hollis at the age of 64. A mountain of talent has been leveled. His legacy lives on, towering over the lesser lights. I have been listening to the last of TT's teamwork for the past week in total ignorance of Mark's passing. Always hoped that they'd recollaborate some time. The Colour of Spring saved my life in 1986.

RIP, MDH 1955-2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hollis#Death

Witness:

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Yes, I find myself surprised at how saddened I am to learn of the death of Peter Fonda.

I was always intrigued by his deadpan performance in Easyrider. That made him one of my favourite actors, even though I haven't seen him in much else. Also he took some good public stances on certain things and just came across as a decent guy who , given the dynasty that he grew up into, was far less of a dick than he could have been.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/peter-fonda-dead-79-872950/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Yes, I find myself surprised at how saddened I am to learn of the death of Peter Fonda.
Same here - especially given the fact he didn't appear in much of anything else memorable before transitioning to directing, etc.

I was always intrigued by his deadpan performance in Easyrider. ...
Me, too ... He served as the calm center axis around which all the turmoil and weirdness (e.g., the gung-ho gonzo-ness of the Hopper and Nicholson characters) swirled. His character served as the viewer's third-party representative or avatar, trying to make sense of it all.

A Pathfinder pilot has earned new wings.

Frank Leadon
Born: January 19th, 1923
Died: August 4th, 2019

Francis Leadon, who died on August 4th in Mullingar Regional Hospital, was was one of the 70,000 Irish men and women who contributed to the Allied War effort.

For boys growing up in the 1930s aviation was as exotic as space exploration is today. Flying was confined to the privileged and wealthy. The advent of hostilities changed that at a stroke. Frank seized the opportunity and enlisted for the Royal Air Force, by falsifying his age. He showed exceptional flying ability and was despatched to the USAF Flying Academy at Pensacola, Florida, to train as a torpedo bomber pilot.

Frank was invited to join the all-volunteer Pathfinder Force by the legendary Hamish Mahaddie, on the personal recommendation of his Commanding Officer. The Pathfinder Force were Bomber Commands elite. Their role was to remain over the target, marking and remarking specific targets with incandescent flares for the bomb aiming guidance of the Main Force that followed behind them. Main Force crews spent a few minutes over the target. Pathfinder crews spent many times longer and their life expectancy was therefore significantly shorter than that of their Main Force counterparts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...t-who-never-lost-his-love-of-flying-1.3988331