The R.I.P. Thread

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I remember reading, I think in Danny Peary's Cult Movie Stars book, how many film buffs had gotten to find Sid Haig strangely endearing given his gift for causing trouble on screen. I'm glad he had a career renaissance, but stuff like Spider Baby and Coffy are a million times better than Rob Zombie films, please don't reduce his career to that. RIP great man.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead lyricist, has died at 78

Robert Hunter, the man behind many of the Grateful Dead's most iconic lyrics, died Monday night at the age of 78.

"It is with great sadness we confirm our beloved Robert passed away yesterday night," Hunter's family said in a statement obtained by several media outlets.

Members of the Grateful Dead wrote tributes to Hunter on social media, and David Lemieux, an archivist for the band, announced Hunter's death in a statement on the band's website. ...

Hunter, who was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2015 with the Dead's late frontman Jerry Garcia, contributed his first lyrics to the band in 1967.

The writer and poet collaborated with the Grateful Dead on songs ranging from "Friend of the Devil" and "Truckin'" to "Dark Star" and "Touch of Grey."

According to the Songwriters Hall of Fame, "Though he never played on stage with the Dead, he was indeed a member."

When the Grateful Dead was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994, Hunter was with the band, becoming the only non-performing band member to garner such a honor. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/entertainment/grateful-dead-robert-hunter-dies-trnd/index.html

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I remember reading, I think in Danny Peary's Cult Movie Stars book, how many film buffs had gotten to find Sid Haig strangely endearing given his gift for causing trouble on screen. I'm glad he had a career renaissance, but stuff like Spider Baby and Coffy are a million times better than Rob Zombie films, please don't reduce his career to that. RIP great man.
Rob Zombie's films are rubbish.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Rob Zombie's films are rubbish.
Damn right - how can one man who's seen all the right movies make such excruciatingly boring versions of them? Freebird at the end of The Devil's Rejects is one of the worst things in horror of the century, the self-satisfaction for producing such utter shite is almost offensive.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Joe Wilson, who was targeted for criticizing the rationale for the 2003 Iraq war and whose then-wife was ruinously unmasked as a CIA operative has died.
Joe Wilson, skeptic on Iraq War intelligence, dies at age 69

Joseph Wilson, the former ambassador who set off a political firestorm by disputing U.S. intelligence used to justify the 2003 Iraq invasion, died Friday, according to his ex-wife. He was 69.

Wilson died of organ failure in Santa Fe, said his former wife, Valerie Plame, whose identity as a CIA operative was exposed days after Wilson’s criticism of U.S. intelligence that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was attempting to purchase uranium.

The leak of Plame’s covert identity was a scandal for the administration of President George W. Bush that led to the conviction of vice presidential aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby for lying to investigators and obstruction of justice. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/5807f1ae078c4a78bc089ac8d726aca5

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Sorry to see that Jessye Norman has passed, aged 74.

As with many prime donne, I was surprised by her age, supposing her to be only as old as me - or rather less!

She will always feature in the debate about whether "coloured" sopranos exhibit a "covered" or "smokey" tone. Racist or not, it was usually intended as an appreciative adjective. Jessye did, I think. I love her recordings* of the Four Last Songs of Richard Strauss.

She was, by all accounts, a haughty and demanding diva. She did, anyway, live up to the billing and gave good soprano, often glorious! God rest her! :clap:

*I treasure an off-air account, under Tennstedt, iirc. Not that the Masur version on commercial CD was at all bad!

In fact it was wonderful and free to hear on Youtube!

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

You may not know the name but if you watch movies you've seen his work

Prolific Title Designer Wayne Fitzgerald Dies at 89
By DANO NISSEN
Dano Nissen
Dano's Most Recent Stories

Wayne Fitzgerald, the main title designer of films and television shows including “Apocalypse Now,” “The Graduate,” “Chinatown,” “Dallas,” “The Searchers,” “The Godfather” and “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” died Monday in Whidbey Island, Wash. He was 89.

Fitzgerald began his title design career with Pacific Art & Title Studio after graduating from Pasadena’s Art Center College of Design in 1951, where he eventually became head of art and design department. During his 17 years with the studio Fitzgerald designed the titles for classic films such as “Touch of Evil,” “My Fair Lady,” “Pillow Talk,” “Imitation of Life” and “Music Man.”

In 1967, Fitzgerald left the company to found his own studio Wayne Fitzgerald FilmDesign. With his new studio he worked on films such as “Footloose,” “Total Recall,” “The Deer Hunter,” “Rosemary’s Baby,” “Catch-22,” “Dick Tracy,” “Scent of a Woman” and many more.

etc
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/wayne-fitzgerald-dead-dies-godfather-chinatown-1203354025/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Barrie Masters, lead singer of Eddie and the Hotrods, dies at 63:
Obit

Proper old school Essex boy. Do Anything You Wanna Do is a pub rock anthem. RIP.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
US actress Diahann Carroll, who won Golden Globe and Tony awards and was nominated for an Oscar, has died.
Carroll, who was 84, starred in 1960s TV show Julia, the first US sitcom to centre on a black woman.
She was also the first black woman to win the Tony for best actress in 1962, for Broadway musical No Strings. She went on to be nominated for an Oscar for best actress in 1975 for Claudine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49936867

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Shame, I remember her from Dynasty, shoulder pad-tastic. A pioneer, too. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
US actress Diahann Carroll, who won Golden Globe and Tony awards and was nominated for an Oscar, has died.
Carroll, who was 84, starred in 1960s TV show Julia, the first US sitcom to centre on a black woman.
She was also the first black woman to win the Tony for best actress in 1962, for Broadway musical No Strings. She went on to be nominated for an Oscar for best actress in 1975 for Claudine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49936867
Her show Julia was a favourite of mine when I was young. To me, she was the epitome of class. Always stylish and graceful.

Another WW2 pilot gets new wings. Not many left now.

Jack Simpson Born: May 23rd, 1920 Died: August 30th , 2019

Enniskillen-born John H “Jack” Simpson survived several close calls in the second World War to become one of the youngest wartime wing commanders in the RAF. Simpson was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross for his participation in a successful attack under fire on a surfaced U-boat on November 14th, 1942, in the Mediterranean with three other Hudson aircraft of 500 Squadron. As a result of the attack the U-boat (U-595) ran aground.

On August 22nd, 1941, during a night take-off from St Eval, Cornwall, in a Hudson with a full bomb load he was half way down the runway when he discovered he had no airspeed or altimeter readings – something of a handicap when attempting to land or take off. He dropped his bombs in the sea, then circled base to use up fuel and waited until daylight. Without instruments he then landed the aircraft safely if, as he said, a little bumpily”. It turned out that the altimeter and airspeed had been wired incorrectly.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...-s-youngest-wartime-wing-commanders-1.4032716

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anna Quayle dies at 86:
Obit

Actress best known for eccentric roles, like the Queen in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, she's in A Hard Day's Night as well. One of a dying breed of British character actresses, you don't really get Anna Quayles any more, more's the pity. RIP.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Philip Gips, a graphic designer, advertising executive and creator of posters for hit films including Alien, Rosemary’s Baby and more, died Thursday in White Plains, NY. He was 88 and his death was announced by the Endeavor agency.

Among his best-known posters is the ad for Alien (1979), which depicts an egg cracking and emitting an eerie green glow as it hovers over an otherworldly topography. The poster is punctuated with the tag line, “In space no one can hear you scream,” which was written by Gips’s wife, Barbara.

The poster for Rosemary’s Baby (1968) also generated attention. “Like all the best movie posters,”wrote one critic, “the one for 1968’s Rosemary’s Baby doesn’t depict a scene from the film. We see the silhouette of a pram on harsh, rocky terrain, set against a sickly green background. Mia Farrow’s upturned face looms behind it, as though the titular mom were lying supine: mindscape as landscape.”
Gips also designed posters for comedies (Arthur, Desperately Seeking Susan), thrillers (Fatal Attraction, No Way Out), dramas (Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice, The Verdict, Absence of Malice), a superhero film (Superman), sports movies (Downhill Racer, Hoosiers), a fantasy/rock opera (Tommy), Hollywood spectacles (All That Jazz, That’s Entertainment) and searing social commentaries (Network, The Front, Catch 22).
https://deadline.com/2019/10/philip...r-alien-and-rosemarys-baby-was-88-1202752752/

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
When film posters were works of art!
Frequently so much better than the movies! I gather that some of the most striking SciFi horror posters of the fifties were created before the movies were even made.

International slants on English-language pictures especially fascinate me. It's a while since I explored all that the Internet has on offer but my archives indicate that the Polish take on film publicity was very individual! :actw:

Bigphoot2

RIP Ginger Baker
Ginger Baker: Legendary Cream drummer dies aged 80
By Mark SavageBBC music reporter
  • 48 minutes ago

Ginger Baker, one of the most innovative and influential drummers in rock music, has died at the age of 80.
A co-founder of Cream, he also played with Blind Faith, Hawkwind and Fela Kuti in a long and varied career.
His style combined the lyricism of jazz with the crude power of rock. One critic said watching him was like witnessing "a human combine harvester".
But he was also a temperamental and argumentative figure, whose behaviour frequently led to on-stage punch-ups.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Legendary is the word.

Him, Bonham, Moon and Mitch Michell--all gone.

No doubt all practised until their arms felt like they'd drop off, but at the same time all had raw natural talent. Baker was said to have been able to play instinctively the very first time he sat behind a kit as a teenager.

Of course, his legacy will live in the many great songs he contributed to, but here's what he could do when you let him go and have fun:

Edit: For what it's worth Rolling Stone's top 100 drummers has
  1. Bonham
  2. Moon
  3. Baker
  4. Neil Pert
  5. Hal Blaine [played for many, many people]
  6. Clyde Stubblefield and John “Jabo” Starks [James Brown]
  7. Gene Krupa [extremely influential pioneer]
  8. Mitch Mitchell
  9. Al Jackson Jr [lots of soul records]
  10. Stewart Copeland
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ers-of-all-time-77933/stewart-copeland-33775/

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Edit: For what it's worth Rolling Stone's top 100 drummers has
  1. Bonham
  2. Moon
  3. Baker
  4. Neil Pert
  5. Hal Blaine [played for many, many people]
  6. Clyde Stubblefield and John “Jabo” Starks [James Brown]
  7. Gene Krupa [extremely influential pioneer]
  8. Mitch Mitchell
  9. Al Jackson Jr [lots of soul records]
  10. Stewart Copeland
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ers-of-all-time-77933/stewart-copeland-33775/
I dread to think what the modest Mr Baker would have said about that list.