The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Baker always stood apart because of his jazz and non-European stylings, his idiosyncratic mixture of different drums in his patterns, and his ability to give a song a distinctive atmosphere with percussion alone. All these factors added burdens to being precise in a rock context, and he still managed to remain precise enough to be ranked among the most notable rock drummers. My point is that although he was deservedly ranked high as one among many excellent rock drummers, Baker was under-appreciated for his innovations and unique stylings.

One other point comes to mind ... Owing to his emaciated appearance and rumors of extraordinary fondness for recreational pharmaceuticals, it was a running joke 50 years ago that Baker was a rock casualty waiting to happen. He was arguably the first modern rock musician to be viewed in the same "dead man walking" way people now invoke in joking about Keith Richards. If anyone back in 1969 had claimed Baker wouldn't bail out of this plane of existence for another half-century, they'd have been ridiculed. I guess you showed 'em, Ginger ...

RIP (Rumble In Perpetuity) Ginger, and thanks for being different ...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Let's not forget Ginger starred in his own documentary, which with his typical good humour he ended by breaking the director's nose. Hugely talented, but not a nice man. RIP nonetheless.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Let's not forget Ginger starred in his own documentary, which with his typical good humour he ended by breaking the director's nose. Hugely talented, but not a nice man. RIP nonetheless.
Lovely chap

hunck

Justified & Ancient
The doc is a classic. No-one has a good word to say about him personally except John Lydon, & you get the impression they didn't spend more than a few weeks together. Everyone agrees about his drumming though.

Bigphoot2

The doc is a classic. No-one has a good word to say about him personally except John Lydon, & you get the impression they didn't spend more than a few weeks together. Everyone agrees about his drumming though.
It's a case of respect the art, not the artist.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
It's time to say RIP to Rip Taylor:

Rip Taylor, Flamboyant Comic and Host of 'The $1.98 Beauty Show,' Dies at 84
Known as the "King of Confetti" and "The Crying Comedian," he made thousands of outlandish appearances on television and in nightclubs.
Rip Taylor, the exuberant comedian whose zany shtick and over-the-top delivery made him a television and nightclub mainstay for more than six decades, has died. He was 84.

Taylor died Sunday in Beverly Hills, publicist Harlan Boll announced.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ant-comic-host-198-beauty-show-was-84-1196673

INT21

Antediluvian
Yes, goodby Ginger.

One of the few drummers who I could listen to doing a longish solo.

A troubled soul.

INT21

INT21

Antediluvian
Never heard him singing solo.

But his part in the introduction to 'We're going wrong' (Wheels of Fire LP, Cream) and the more or less drum solo 'Toad' show how good he was.

p.s. May have been on 'Disraeli Gears'

EnolaGaia

Staff member
ivxjsupltj4vmsqtfnwu.jpg
Alexei Leonov, 1st human to walk in space, dies in Moscow

Russia’s space agency says Alexei Leonov, the first human to walk in space 54 years ago, has died in Moscow. He was 85.

Roscosmos says in a statement on its website that Leonov died on Friday. It did not provide details.

Leonov performed his spacewalk on March 18, 1965, when he exited his Voskhod 2 capsule, secured by a tether.

On his second trip to space ten years later, Leonov commanded the Soviet half of the Apollo-Soyuz 19 mission. It was the first joint space mission between the Soviet Union and the United States, carried out at the height of the Cold War.

The cosmonaut turned 85 in May. Several days before that, two Russian crewmembers on the International Space Station ventured into open space on a planned spacewalk with stickers attached on their spacesuits paying tribute to him, and congratulated him from space.

Roscosmos said Leonov would be buried Tuesday at a military memorial cemetery outside Moscow.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/bccf6f678de1469382936ccd0e202e9e

The notion of an individual spacewalk was the stuff of science fiction in 1965. Leonov was the first human to engage outer space as something more than "spam in a can." In a way, his spacewalk represented the first time a human was really in space rather than merely traveling in space as encapsulated cargo.

His spacewalk (and indeed his entire mission) didn't go as planned, and it could well have been disastrous. Leonov wasn't just the first spacewalker; he was the first person who had to improvise to survive a spacewalk:

https://gizmodo.com/50-years-ago-the-first-spacewalk-nearly-ended-in-trage-1692303108

Later he would command the Soviet side of the first joint Soviet / American space mission.

Go now untethered, Alexei Arkhipovich - rest in peace ...

Bigphoot2

Jackie Brown star Robert Forster dies aged 78
by Press Association
October 12, 2019, 7:51 am

Robert Forster, the character actor who saw a career resurgence and Oscar nomination for playing bail bondsman Max Cherry in Jackie Brown, has died aged 78.
Publicist Kathie Berlin said Forster died of brain cancer following a brief illness.
He was at home in Los Angeles, surrounded by family, including his four children and partner Denise Grayson.
Condolences have poured on social media.
etc
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2019/10/12/jackie-brown-star-robert-forster-dies-aged-78/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I suppose it's nice that his final role in the Breaking Bad TV movie was released on the day of his death, he might have appreciated that flourish.

But I'll remember him for being the ice cold photographer in Medium Cool, the reptile-battling hero of Alligator, the new Sheriff in Twin Peaks and of course, per my avatar, the lead in The Black Hole, which is the first thing I saw him in way back when. Heard him on the Trailers From Hell podcast earlier this year and he was such a nice man, very grateful that his career recovered after he was cast in Jackie Brown. RIP.

INT21

Antediluvian
this is rather odd.

The above response by me to Leonov's death was originally posted yesterday (if not the day before).

I have just looked at the thread and find the post still in the 'drafts' box at the bottom of the thread. Awaiting 'post reply' to be clicked.

I have done this about four minutes ago.

Why did the post suddenly jump off the thread ?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
this is rather odd.

The above response by me to Leonov's death was originally posted yesterday (if not the day before).

I have just looked at the thread and find the post still in the 'drafts' box at the bottom of the thread. Awaiting 'post reply' to be clicked.

Aliens.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
this is rather odd.
Nope ... You drafted it, but didn't post it. As long as you remain logged in (connected or not) and haven't flushed the related cookie(s) that draft will sit there awaiting your disposition for some time.

There is no prior posting activity logged for you in the R.I.P. thread since the Leonov death was first posted. If you'd really posted it twice there would have been two entries in at least one of the running logs recording your activities and your posts.

INT21

Antediluvian
This is what I suspected, But I do recall looking at the thread this afternoon via the library in town. and am fairly sure it was there as a post.

Possibly wandering brain cells.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I think it has only just been reported the actor Stephen Moore, famous in sci-fi circles for having voiced Marvin the Paranoid Android in both the radio and the television adaptations of the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, died on 4 October.

R.I.P.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Have to post this...love this live version.....Blindfaith.....
Wonderous.... thank your goodself and others for the sentiments. My daughter is a pro drummer and invited by Ginger Baker's son to meet up when playing in Glasgow, last year. They are good mates and shared the angst of relationship with his father.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Wonderous.... thank your goodself and others for the sentiments. My daughter is a pro drummer and invited by Ginger Baker's son to meet up when playing in Glasgow, last year. They are good mates and shared the angst of relationship with his father.
Donna thought you might wish you to know Kofi Baker's sentiments: "The other day, I had a beautiful visit with my dad...we talked about memories and music and he's happy I'm trying to keep his legacy alive. Our relationship was mended and he was in a peaceful place. Thank you for all the kind messages and thoughts. I love my dad and will always miss him".