The R.I.P. Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There's still a little of it floating about (geddit?). Not much, but it's a much sought after bit of history.
Oh I'd CERTAINLY take a look!

Edit: I posted that from my phone and didn't have time to go into detail. In the TV show there were people walking around the site who stopped now and then to dig at the ground with the toe of their boot, then stooping to pull up what looked like a bit of rag. I was soooo jealous.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Photographer of swinging 60s Terry O'Neill dies aged 81
Man known for his pictures of Beatles, Stones, Bardot and Sean Connery had prostate cancer
Guardian staff
Sun 17 Nov 2019 10.33 GMTLast modified on Sun 17 Nov 2019 10.35 GMT

Terry O’Neill, the photographer who rose to fame in the 1960s as a chronicler of the celebrities and public figures who defined the era, has died at the age of 81.
O’Neill, who was awarded a CBE last month for services to photography, died at home on Saturday night after a long illness, his agency said. He had prostate cancer.
etc
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...her-of-swinging-60s-terry-oneill-dies-aged-81

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Most posters here won't have heard of John Mann, the lead singer for the Vancouver-based band Spirit of the West. Their music was very much a part of my life in the early 1990s and I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert once. John died on Wednesday at age 57 of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. By coincidence, that day would have been my mother's 94th birthday.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...f-the-west-frontman-dies-at-age-57-1.24014403

Memory eternal!

Bigphoot2

Another familiar face from the movies gone. RIP
Iconic Character Actor Michael J. Pollard Dies at 80
Michael J. Pollard was in the classic film Bonnie and Clyde, the classic series Star Trek and named a classic album.
NEWSTony Sokol
Nov 22, 2019

Michael J. Pollard, a legendary character actor who was featured in Bonnie and Clyde, the original Star Trek, and House of 1000 Corpses, died in Los Angeles from cardiac arrest on Nov. 21, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 80.
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/284601/michael-j-pollard-dies

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Even when I was a kid / teen MJP was one of the few character actors I'd always make a point to watch (even in re-runs), no matter what ...

The first line of Pollard's IMDb entry is a reasonable summary of his early career successes at face value (no pun intended):

Cherubic, wispy-haired looks made his typecasting as impish or eccentric characters somehow inevitable.
However, the thing that always attracted me to his acting wasn't merely the face value.

He seemed to naturally give his characters a manner that always clearly implied something happening behind the face and face value (e.g., calculated or natural modesty; confusion; eccentricity; inner thoughts; hidden agenda; psychological turmoil).

He would make you wonder whether his character was deliberately shifty / conniving, passively naive / vulnerable, or somehow ping-ponging back and forth between these positions. No matter how one-dimensional his outward role was he always kept you guessing what he might say or do next.

RIP Michael ... You weren't just a secondary presence or just another name in the credits; you were one of my top-tier all-time favorites.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Damn ... Another of my favorites (this time from the world of great cartoonists) has passed away ...
Cartoonist Gahan Wilson, 'the Wizard of Weird," dies at 89

Cartoonist Gahan Wilson, whose magazine illustrations earned him the nicknames "the Michelangelo of the Macabre" and "the Wizard of Weird," has died at 89, according to his stepson Paul Wilson.

"The world has lost a legend," Paul Wilson said. "One of the very best cartoonists to ever pick up a pen and paper has passed on."

Gahan Wilson gained fame with his offbeat drawings in magazines like Playboy, The New Yorker and National Lampoon.

One drawing featured a man deliriously happy as he is being strapped into the electric chair and saying, "Gee, it's just like in the movies."

Another showed an eye doctor with a knife about to attack a patient who is reading an exam chart that says, "I am an insane eye doctor and I am going to kill you now..." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/23/us/cartoonist-gahan-wilson-dies-trnd/index.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Very sorry to hear Michael J. Pollard has died, a unique screen presence, you couldn't tell where he ended and his characters began (he was reportedly quite eccentric in real life). Great as a villain, but fun as an unlikely hero - see him in Hannibal Brooks with Oliver Reed for a bizarre pairing. The 1960s and 70s were breeding grounds for offbeat performers, and they didn't get more offbeat than Michael. Also, see his Lost in Space episode, he's wonderful in it. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
T.V Chef , restaurateur and author Gary Rhodes dies at age 59 in Dubai. I've been a long time collector of cook books and a fan of good cooking shows (my family have owned restaurants, cafes and catering businesses), Rhodes Around Britain was excellent. I always liked him.

Gary Rhodes, the celebrity British chef, has died in Dubai, aged 59.

Rhodes was best known for fronting programmes including MasterChef, Hell’s Kitchen and MasterChef USA.

According to a family statement sent to The Independent, Rhodes passed away on Tuesday evening.

“The Rhodes family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of beloved husband, father and brother, Gary Rhodes OBE,” it reads.

“Gary passed away last evening, Tuesday 26 November 2019, at the age of 59, with his beloved wife Jennie by his side. The family would like to thank everyone for their support and ask for privacy during this time.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...rhodes-death-chef-die-age-dubai-a9219441.html

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Bigphoot2

That's a shock, always came over as a likeable bloke with a great enthusiasm for cooking. RIP

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Just checked this thread after a few days and am saddened to hear of both Michael J. Pollard and Gahan Wilson.

EnolaGaia hit the nail on the head with Pollard. He was one of those actors who managed to have a fairly wide range of characters, but still maintain his own presence in each performance.

When I was very young I had a subscription to the not-very-imaginatively-titled The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. It was at the time a rather fascinating and rather creepy-feeling publication: one of the last of the pulps, with a matte-finish cover (which often had an illustration that wrapped around the back) and very few display ads. Gahan Wilson was allowed the one full-page illustration with one of his cartoons. To a young boy it seemed like an artifact from the universe of a Twilight Zone episode, and the usually macabre and perverse humor of the cartoons only added to the effect. Both Wilson and Isaac Asimov (who had a regular science column) became favorites of mine because of that magazine.

A personal Fortean angle to these two deaths: Just the other day I quoted Pollard's "Bonk bonk on the head" from his Star Trek appearance, and I also had a passing thought about Wilson - even though neither of them were particularly on my mind for many months previously. It reminded me of the time I was having a conversation with someone about Edward Gorey while attending a wedding on Cape Cod. It just seemed odd that his name came up, but I let that feeling pass until I returned home to find that while we were having that conversation, Gorey lay dying just a few miles from us. I truly wonder if something happens when people we admire pass away that brings memories of them up from the dusty corners of our minds.

Bigphoot2

Clive James too :(
Clive James: Australian broadcaster and author dies aged 80
  • Clive James, the Australian writer and broadcaster known around the world for his dry wit, has died at the age of 80.
    Diagnosed with leukaemia in 2010, the author and critic had movingly written about his terminal illness during the final years of his life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50578512

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Geez, I know there's the rule of three in celeb deaths, but in one day? Gary Rhodes, huge supporter of British cuisine when it was often belittled, and always seemed like a good guy. Jonathan Miller, a brilliant mind, very funny, dedicated atheist so I guess he won't be back, but tragic to hear he died of Alzheimer's. Clive James, one of the greatest critics of all time, poacher turned gamekeeper on TV, also very funny, a brilliant writer. RIP to all of them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Talking of critics, I read today the most lacerating of them all, John Simon, died aged 94 a couple of days ago. Never afraid to go for the personal attack, can't say I was a huge fan, but an extremely intelligent man, and he did love culture, which is why he held it to such a high standard. RIP.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Bad news for you @Bigphoot2 - and sad to hear about these celebrity deaths too.

I had Clive on my mind this time last week, so I did feel an inkling (more than just retrospective confirmation bias, truthfully). Such a loss.... 8-/