The R.I.P. Thread

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Sad to hear about Jonathan Miller, liked him since I was a kid when I saw a documentary about him. Will have to watch his 1966 version of Alice in Wonderland now, RIP

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
No further details available. Sounds odd to me.
I’m reading between the lines but I’m working on the thought that he fell over and hit his head and this is what caused it. The family released the details after apparently some quite horrible supposition on what had happened. I have not seen any of this so I do not know what was said.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reminds me of how Natasha Richardson died. Head injury, lucid interval, sudden deterioration, death.
He's believed to have slipped and fallen in the shower and banged his head.
An elderly friend of mine died in similar circumstances in 2011. She slipped on an icy sidewalk and hit her head. Passersby phoned for an ambulance and she was taken to hospital straight away but her condition deteriorated and she died a few days later. The doctors told her family they suspected she may have had an unruptured brain aneurysm which was triggered by the blow to the head. They said the type of head injury she sustained doesn't usually result in more than a concussion, which is why they thought an aneurysm may have been a factor.

In hindsight I wonder if that was the case with Natasha Richardson, although a strong blow could cause that sort of damage to any head.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Local lad, so talented and so tragic.

Frightened Rabbit: Image of Scott Hutchison on display at portrait gallery

Source: BBC online
Date: 23 November, 2019

A "celebratory" photograph of Frightened Rabbit singer Scott Hutchison has been unveiled in Edinburgh.

Mr Hutchison took his own life in May 2018, aged 36.

The black-and-white image of the smiling singer on stage with his guitar is now on display at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.

Photographer Ryan McGoverne said the photo captured something important in Mr Hutchison's character.

"He was a raconteur on stage, his legendary banter in between songs was just as great and enriching as his songs," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50516322

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
An elderly friend of mine died in similar circumstances in 2011. She slipped on an icy sidewalk and hit her head. Passersby phoned for an ambulance and she was taken to hospital straight away but her condition deteriorated and she died a few days later. The doctors told her family they suspected she may have had an unruptured brain aneurysm which was triggered by the blow to the head. They said the type of head injury she sustained doesn't usually result in more than a concussion, which is why they thought an aneurysm may have been a factor.

In hindsight I wonder if that was the case with Natasha Richardson, although a strong blow could cause that sort of damage to any head.

Good point. Gary Rhodes had a previous, very severe head-injury.

From the Daily Mirror:
Gary Rhodes' chilling head-injury warning years before fatal brain bleed

TV chef Gary Rhodes was warned by doctors about the risks of another head injury after he suffered a blood clot on the brain in a near-death accident when he was a teenager.

Gary, who died on Tuesday night, was aged 19 when he was hit by a van while working at the Hilton in Amsterdam.

He underwent eight-hour brain surgery which was described as the chef's 'last chance' following the accident.

His mum, Jean, said: "It was a life and death situation and quite honestly, they did not expect him to live."

Daylight comes and he's gone home.

US composer Irving Burgie, who helped to popularise Caribbean music with hit songs like Day-O, has died aged 95.

His death was confirmed by Barbados Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, who called for a moment of silence for the man who wrote its national anthem.

Mr Burgie is best known for helping singer Harry Belafonte bring calypso music to the mainstream.

The 1950s song Day-O went on to be used in films, adverts and even as a wake-up call for astronauts in space.

The calypso hit, also known as The Banana Boat Song, featured in the popular film Beetlejuice and has been sampled by rapper Lil Wayne and singer Jason Derulo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50619991

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Actress Shelley Morrison, best known for playing maid Rosario in TV comedy Will and Grace, has died aged 83.

The New Yorker played Rosario Salazar in 68 episodes of the sitcom from 1999 to 2006.

The character, an illegal immigrant from El Salvador, was only due to appear once but proved so popular with viewers she made regular appearances.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50627980

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Lil Bub - Cute as can be Internet famous cat has passed away. Just goes to show that you're never too small to make a difference in this big world.
bub.jpg
I know that BUB has always written these newsletters. But today I have to do it, because BUB has finally gone back to space.

On the morning of Sunday, December 1st 2019 we lost the purest, kindest and most magical living force on our planet. BUB was cheerful and full of love laying in our bed with us Saturday night, but unexpectedly passed away peacefully in her sleep.. I have always been fully transparent about BUB's health, and it was no secret that she was battling a persistent and aggressive bone infection. Even knowing this, we weren't expecting her to pass so soon or so abruptly without warning. I truly believe that she willingly made the decision to leave her failing body so that our family would not have to make that difficult decision ourselves.

It is impossible to put into words the profound effect that BUB has had on my life, on the lives of thousands of homeless pets, and on the lives of those of you that have cared for her as if she were your own family. She taught me everything that I know about unconditional love, she brought my wife Stacy and I together, she's the reason we have our beautiful children Rosco and Lula, and she has been a constant source of warmth and love in our lives for the past 8 years. To say that our family is devastated would be an understatement.

But most importantly, BUB has made a huge difference in the world of animal welfare, and in the lives of millions of people worldwide. She has literally saved thousands of lives (both pets and humans), she started the first national fund for special needs pets, she was the subject of groundbreaking genetic and biological research, she's helped raise over $700,000 for animals in need, and has spread a message of determination, positivity, and perseverance to people all over the world. And even though my heart is absolutely crushed by her graceful departure from planet Earth, I know that her sprit, magic, and overwhelming energy are still with us, reminding us every day to be better.

Dearest BUB, I will never forget your generosity, your limitless supply of love, or your uncanny ability to bring so much magic and joy to the world. I am forever honored and humbled that you chose me as your caretaker. Please visit all of us in our dreams often.

GOOD JOB BUB.

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Greedy Smith of Mental As Anything, Aussie rock band from the 80s (MAMBO brand surfwear art by Reg Mombassa the guitarist), has died of a heart attack aged 63. RIP, Greedy. Will be throwing a few back in his honour tonight with a playlist locked into The Mentals and friends.
Greedy's brother was my wife's boss for a couple of years some years back. Is there any Aussie who didn't know or like them? R.I.P Greedy, you will be missed.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
A remarkable and brave man. RIP
X-Men: Tributes to last survivor of midget submarine raid
  • 2 December 2019
The last survivor of the midget submarine raid against the German battleship Tirpitz has died, aged 97.
Cdr John Lorimer was captured during the mission in Norway's Alten Fjord which featured X-craft, 52ft-long subs armed with explosive charges.
The Tirpitz, a sister of Bismarck, was badly damaged and was later sunk by RAF bombers.
The great grandfather, of Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his bravery.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotl...qST_-Q4RpgByCg5-FZHHP_WbLCFEPxwEtn8pmz3izj1vI

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Flip me, that's a life and a half that's left me in tears. Surviving Dunkirk by paddling out on a barn door to become an RAF bomb aimer (I struggle with my life sometimes; this puts that in some sort of perspective) and then to be shot down. Great drawings from Stalag Luft III and it's fantastic that he lived to 101. RIP for a life very well lived.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Flip me, that's a life and a half that's left me in tears. Surviving Dunkirk by paddling out on a barn door to become an RAF bomb aimer (I struggle with my life sometimes; this puts that in some sort of perspective) and then to be shot down. Great drawings from Stalag Luft III and it's fantastic that he lived to 101. RIP for a life very well lived.
What really chokes me up is that, if one were to ask one of these old boys about his service, he’d just mumble about having “Done his bit”, and change the subject.

Compare and contrast with today: “Selfie of me managing to wire a plug! 250 Likes!

maximus otter

Most posters here won't have heard of John Mann, the lead singer for the Vancouver-based band Spirit of the West. Their music was very much a part of my life in the early 1990s and I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert once. John died on Wednesday at age 57 of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. By coincidence, that day would have been my mother's 94th birthday.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...f-the-west-frontman-dies-at-age-57-1.24014403

Memory eternal!
Oh, Spirit of the West stayed with my parents while on tour back in the late 80's early 90's.

John was a nice person, they all were. Good musicians too.

Bigphoot2

What really chokes me up is that, if one were to ask one of these old boys about his service, he’d just mumble about having “Done his bit”, and change the subject.

Compare and contrast with today: “Selfie of me managing to wire a plug! 250 Likes!

maximus otter
I had an uncle like that. He was a very gentle-mannered, quiet, jovial person and if you asked what he did in the war the usual response would be along the lines of "drink tea, salute and complain." After he died we found out he'd served with the Chindits in Burma.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I had an uncle like that. He was a very gentle-mannered, quiet, jovial person and if you asked what he did in the war the usual response would be along the lines of "drink tea, salute and complain." After he died we found out he'd served with the Chindits in Burma.
At our next door neighbour's funeral we learned that he'd been one of the Royal Marines who'd gone from ship to ship in a small boat, in the middle of the night in silence and total darkness, hand-delivering the orders for the imminent D-Day invasion.

Such courage, and like your uncle, he never spoke of it.

Bigphoot2

Tribute after Hercules the bear's owner Andy Robin dies
  • 3 hours ago
Andy Robin, the owner of Scotland's famous grizzly bear Hercules, has died aged 84.
Hercules gained international stardom after going missing for 24 days after escaping while filming a television commercial on Benbecula in 1980.
Former wrestling champion Mr Robin and his wife Maggie bought Hercules as a cub from Highland Wildlife Park in Kingussie for £50 in 1975.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50686555