The R.I.P. Thread

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Innes parodied everything brilliantly. Is there a better Who spoof than "Concrete Jungle Boy"? A better Johnny Cash dig than "Stuck at Mrs. Fletcher's?" The Rutland Weekend Television LP I bought in the mid seventies is a treasure--It skewered all the sacred cows. It even called out Bob Dylan for having a bad voice--"I've suffered for my music and now it's your turn."

AmCuriousNJ

Devoted Cultist

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I'm not old or American enough to remember Buck Henry from SNL first time around, but I did watch the DVD sets of the first five seasons a few years back and he was just superb, he had told the writers he would do anything, even the stuff others had turned down, and they loved him for it. He really was hilarious. And he wrote The Graduate, What's Up Doc?, was an associate of Alan Abel, showed up on 30 Rock... just a legend. RIP.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
RIP :(
Neil Peart, Drummer and Lyricist of Rush, Dead at 67
The legendary musician was battling brain cancer

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist of progressive rock band Rush, has died, CBC News and Rolling Stone report. According to the reports, Peart died on January 7 in Santa Monica, California after a years-long battle with brain cancer. He was 67 years old.
Renowned for his technical expertise and unique performance style, Neil Peart was considered by many to be one of the best rock drummers of all time. He retired from professional drumming, and Rush, in 2015. Find a statement from bandmates Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson below.
Born in 1952, Neil Peart picked up the drums at an early age and played in several bands in his native Ontario before joining Rush in 1974, shortly ahead of the group’s first-ever U.S. tour. Peart replaced founding drummer John Rutsey and would remain in Rush for the rest of his professional career, recording on every one of their studio albums save for their debut self-titled LP. Peart picked up lyricist duties beginning with the band’s second album Fly by Night in 1975.
Peart quickly gained notoriety for his powerful rock drumming. As Rush continued to record albums and expand their sound over the decades, his drumming style continued to shift as well, incorporating more percussion elements and early sample-triggering into his performances. He reached a breakthrough in the mid-1990s when he sought instruction from jazz drummer Freddie Gruber. “After 40, 45 years of playing, I wanted to push myself and open up this whole new frontier,” Peart said in 2017. “I’ve been able to do that as a lyricist and as a prose writer, and now as a drummer. You have to challenge your own limitations and your own expectations of yourself.”
etc
https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-peart-drummer-and-lyricist-of-rush-dead-at-67/

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Sultan Qaboos Dead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50902476

Sultan Qaboos, ruler of Oman has sadly passed away aged 79.
For us expats who worked in Oman during his reign he ruled over a beautiful, safe and clean country. The odd run in with the local constabulary was even a nice event. Driving on their pristine roads in a car with dirty wheels I was stopped by two officers, and after a thorough shaking of hands, was advised of my misdemeanour and the cost of the fine. I produced my passport showing i had been in the country less than 24 hours and was unaware of my crime, to which, after more shaking of hands, they let me off and kindly asked me to get the wheels cleaned before driving on their roads again.

We were building the Sultan Qaboos university at the time, it was 1986, and the UK was suffering the fallout of Chernobyl, the papers were full of Fergie and Andrew and we all rushed to change our flights home from BA to Gulf Air after the US bombed Libya.

Ah! Memories.

Bigphoot2

Tony Garnett: Tributes to Kes, Cathy Come Home and This Life producer
  • 2 hours ago
Tributes have been paid to TV and film producer Tony Garnett following his death at the age of 83.
Originally an actor, Garnett produced such seminal Ken Loach works as Cathy Come Home and Kes, and later produced influential TV series This Life.
World Productions, the TV company he founded, said he died on Sunday "after a short illness".
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51089420

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Julie Strain, the Amazonian beauty and former Penthouse Pet who went on to star in more than 100 B-movies, has died. She was 57.

A familiar face on the comic-convention circuit, the statuesque Strain — Six Foot One and Worth the Climb was the title of her 1997 autobiography — had been suffering from early-onset dementia caused by a traumatic head injury she incurred in her early 20s when she was thrown from a horse. The fall wiped out all of her teenage memories.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/julie-strain-dead-statuesque-star-b-movies-was-57-1168492

AmCuriousNJ

Devoted Cultist
Julie Strain, the Amazonian beauty and former Penthouse Pet who went on to star in more than 100 B-movies, has died. She was 57.

A familiar face on the comic-convention circuit, the statuesque Strain — Six Foot One and Worth the Climb was the title of her 1997 autobiography — had been suffering from early-onset dementia caused by a traumatic head injury she incurred in her early 20s when she was thrown from a horse. The fall wiped out all of her teenage memories.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/julie-strain-dead-statuesque-star-b-movies-was-57-1168492
I guess there is an update regarding Julie Strain: She's allegedly not dead now: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ies-is-not-dead-film-company-now-says-1168492. I guess we'll see which news story turns out to be accurate for now. (She will die at some point, though, unless she knows the secrets of immortality.)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
I'm not dead!
- What?
-- Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
I'm not dead!
- 'Ere, she says she's not dead.
-- Yes she is.
I'm not!
- She isn't!
-- Well, she will be soon, she's very ill.
I'm getting better!

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient

titch

Justified & Ancient
He was a terrific champion of his father's work, I dread to think what the grandchildren will do....

Bigphoot2

RIP Mr Derek
Derek Fowlds: Yes Minister and Heartbeat actor dies aged 82
  • 6 minutes ago
Actor Derek Fowlds, known to millions for playing Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister, has died at the age of 82.
He also played sergeant-turned-publican Oscar Blaketon in ITV police drama Heartbeat for 18 years, and was "Mr Derek" on the Basil Brush show in the 70s.
The actor died at Royal United Hospitals Bath on Friday morning, after having suffered with pneumonia.
"You couldn't have met a nicer person ever" said his assistant Helen Bennett.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51147182