The R.I.P. Thread

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Monty Python star Terry Jones has died at the age of 77, his agent has said

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197
Monty Python transcended comedy and the whole troop was pretty much indispensable. The surviving pythons were pretty devoted to the idea of keeping Chapman's spirit alive, but I think this puts an end to any kind of major work under their banner.

It's amazing how so many people beyond the UK love their work--many for whom English is a second language.

Horrible how the whole cycle from diagnosis through decline to death lasted but four years.

R.I.P.

I'll never forget Life Of Brian. Prophetic.

Stan: I want to be a woman. From now on I want you all to call me Loretta.
Reg: What!?
Stan: It's my right as a man.
Judith: Why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
Stan: I want to have babies.
Reg: You want to have babies?!?!?!
Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
Reg: But you can't have babies.
Stan: Don't you oppress me.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Sad, sad news.

I can hear his thoughts as he's laid to rest: "Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here!"

(And bravo to Mr. Cleese for his scorekeeping.)

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've been watching Terry on the new Monty Python Blu-rays, they were all incredibly inventive. He did Ripping Yarns and Labyrinth, among many other things, too. RIP.

108! A grand old lady.

A woman believed to be the oldest surviving female World War Two veteran in the UK has died at the age of 108.

Anne Robson, from Duns in the Scottish Borders, joined the Auxiliary Territorial Service in 1942.The Women's Royal Army Corps Association (WRACA) described her as a "true pioneer" who was "fiercely independent".mIt confirmed that Ms Robson - who was living in a care home in Edinburgh - died on Monday evening.

It is hoped a memorial service will be held in her honour towards the end of February.Born Gladys Anne Logan MacWatt on 14 September 1911, Ms Robson trained as a physiotherapist before becoming a teacher.

Twitter post by @BritishArmy

British Army​

https://twitter.com/BritishArmy/status/1077276473185034240

Soldiers from 154 Royal Logistic Corps based in Dunfermline have presented 107-year-old Major Anne Robson with an early Christmas. The WW2 Veteran received a Physical Training T-Shirt with her age on it. #ChristmasEve2018

6:55 PM - Dec 24, 2018

She joined the ATS in 1942 and rose to the rank of senior commander (major) as an assistant inspector of physical training.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Kobe Bryant, 41, the legendary basketball star who spent 20 years with the Los Angeles Lakers, was killed when the helicopter he was traveling in crashed and burst into flames Sunday morning amid foggy conditions in the hills above Calabasas, sources told the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...to-hillside-explodes-in-flames-near-calabasas
I've just picked up my phone this morning and this new is everywhere. Terrible. I'm not a sports fan, but he was an exceptional talent, some would say without peer. Also his daughter and three others perished. A tragedy all around.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Awful news, aside from his talent he was a great philanthropist. RIP.
A discussion about the Bryant rape accusations was on BBC radio this morning. Nicky Campbell made the point that, if the sexual assault had happened in today's climate, Bryant wouldn't have been able to pay off his victim and rebuild his reputation so easily.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman