The R.I.P. Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yes that's it, cheers escargot, kind of bad taste though thinking about it, as I said that kind of death always reminds me of it.
Crass innit. When Fixx died I can remember people saying things like 'Well THAT did him a lot of good then, haha!' and that was it. Not really an entire comedy routine's worth of material.

tuco

Devoted Cultist
Crass innit. When Fixx died I can remember people saying things like 'Well THAT did him a lot of good then, haha!' and that was it. Not really an entire comedy routine's worth of material.
I only know of Jim Fix from that sketch and that is Bill Hicks style, not sure when he made this but he did get very bitter towards the end when he was dying of bowel cancer, I like the comparison between Yule Brinner and Jim Fix, Hicks is a bit marmite though.

tuco

Devoted Cultist
Hi Mythopoeika and Escargot, sorry should have watched that clip first, that's not the full version I was thinking of, the original is much longer and is comparing a video Yule Brinner made just before he died with Jim Fix, I think it happened around the same time, yes that does sound crass but I remember the whole thing being better, it was a long time ago I last heard it maybe my taste was more coarse. But people dying that way still reminds me of Bill hicks. I'm going stop now as talking about death brings me down, sorry.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I only know of Jim Fix from that sketch and that is Bill Hicks style, not sure when he made this but he did get very bitter towards the end when he was dying of bowel cancer, I like the comparison between Yule Brinner and Jim Fix, Hicks is a bit marmite though.
Jim Fixx helped start the 'jogging' craze, with the idea that people could exercise gently for their health rather than competitively. Anyone can do that.

I remember when he was alive. He was on TV and his books were reviewed and discussed. He died of heart failure, having been a heavy smoker and working in a stressful occupation. However, he was also possibly genetically predisposed to heart trouble and certainly had a congenitally enlarged heart. So while he was never going to live to a hundred, he must have bought himself a few extra years.

Many did find it ironic when he died but he inspired plenty of people to take up running. When we go out on our bikes we always see runners out doing their thing too. Fitness is fun!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
video Yule Brinner made just before he died
The anti-smoking one, I've seen that.

The late comedian Bob Monkhouse was seen in an advert promoting the prostate cancer charity. It is amusing and macabre!

On the subject of anti-smoking ads, I met someone who starred in one years ago and she told me a ghost story.

tuco

Devoted Cultist
I have been trying to recover from a serious illness for the last 2 years and have found it can be both, cycling 15 miles in one day because you think you should feels like work but cycling 2 miles to the local charity shops and looking around for an hour feels like fun, (finding room for the books and dvds feels like work though) I'm taking it real easy at the moment as I burnt myself out trying to get better, its a matter of pacing yourself, something I've never been good at, I feel like a 90 year old.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
For you, because you get those endorphins. I don't - I just get hot, sweaty and tired.
How do you know if I get endorphins? I too get hot, sweaty and tired, and I love it. Makes me feel strong.

T'other weekend we went to a big party and I parked Techy with some pleasant chatty people and went off to dance all night. I danced everyone else off the floor because I CAN. I danced so hard and laughed so much people thought I was drunk, when I'd only had lemonade. I'm 61. I'm fit. Easy.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm with Neil Armstrong. We just have a certain number of heartbeats before we die, let's not waste them on exercise.
I have a new ambition in life. I'll live to be the oldest person who ever lived and then I'll be interviewed on TV. I'll be asked what is the secret of how I got so old - and I'll reply 'don't waste a moment on exercise'. Then I'll smile broadly and laugh like a drain for a full five minutes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I have a new ambition in life. I'll live to be the oldest person who ever lived and then I'll be interviewed on TV. I'll be asked what is the secret of how I got so old - and I'll reply 'don't waste a moment on exercise'. Then I'll smile broadly and laugh like a drain for a full five minutes.
Challenge accepted. I undertake to outlive you.

AmCuriousNJ

Devoted Cultist
Interesting to say Rest in Peace for an atheist. Do atheists believe in any kind of after-life during which they could ostensibly "rest"?
It's a figure of speech. Just showing some respect for someone who, according to reports, fought on the correct side of history (in my view). So, I will use the "RIP" non-literal expression as a figure of speech, sometimes even when discussing one or more atheists. And to possibly answer the question: Most Atheists don't believe in an afterlife, mainly because there isn't much solid evidence of such an afterlife. The Congressperson who died probably didn't believe in an afterlife (though I can't say for sure). As for other atheists:

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Interesting to say Rest in Peace for an atheist. Do atheists believe in any kind of after-life during which they could ostensibly "rest"?
Atheism disputes or rejects deism (a belief in one or more gods or deities).

Although most deistic belief systems (i.e., religions) include - and even in some cases emphasize - some provision for an individual's existence beyond death, there isn't any necessary linkage between belief in a deity and belief in some form of existence beyond the veil of death.

Some sort of persistence for one's soul / spirit / essence / whatever is accommodated by a variety of non-deistic belief systems (e.g., certain New Age and spiritualist systems).

For that matter, the phrase "rest in peace" isn't universally appropriate even within the realm of religion. It wouldn't seem coherent to wish eternal peaceful rest in the context of religious belief in reincarnation.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Caroline Flack, ex-Love Island host, has been found dead in her London flat, her family have confirmed. Poor girl aged only 40 seeing her career collapse around her ears after the bust up with her boyfriend and subsequent arrest for assault.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Just seen that about Caroline Flack, dead by her own hand, the report said. How awful. I didn't watch the shows she was on, but I had heard of her. That programme, death seems to follow it around. But it's a real shame no matter the circumstances, she must have been in a terrible place mentally. RIP.

tagemoss

Junior Acolyte
Caroline Flack, ex-Love Island host, has been found dead in her London flat, her family have confirmed. Poor girl aged only 40 seeing her career collapse around her ears after the bust up with her boyfriend and subsequent arrest for assault.
Saw it on the bbc news channel, the thing about the assault sounds iffy, they said the boyfriend didn't want it to go to court and that he wasn't a victim...what??

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Saw it on the bbc news channel, the thing about the assault sounds iffy, they said the boyfriend didn't want it to go to court and that he wasn't a victim...what??
A lot of men simply 'take it on the chin'. They try to put a brave face on it and downplay the situation if their partner beats them up.
It could be that this kind of thing was happening with the boyfriend.
Very sad case.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Looks like a mixture of toxic social media and tabloid savaging did a big part of making her suicidal, and she was already fragile before. It's helpful to remember that celebs and people in the media are not just playthings to kick around online. This is what happens.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Looks like a mixture of toxic social media and tabloid savaging did a big part of making her suicidal, and she was already fragile before. It's helpful to remember that celebs and people in the media are not just playthings to kick around online. This is what happens.
I don't know of her, but here in Australia her name is trending in the top spot on Twitter this morning, so I clicked out of interest.
It seems a desperately sad situation from all perspectives and you've summed it up perfectly. The tabloid media are savage and ruthless at times and some journalists (and I use that term loosely) often take an almost personal affront to someone having a career, an opinion or merely existing. Social media and it's countless anonymous bullies are no better. They are all happy to piss on someone from a great height and almost seem to revel in seeing careers, marriages and lives destroyed. When they succeed the hypocrisy in the false grief they spew, which is what I'm seeing in this case, is almost too much to swallow.
We've seen it happen before and we'll see it happen again.
I hope the poor woman, her family and friends are able to find some peace at this difficult time, and too her former partner.

Last edited: