The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Coffin Joe no more! Shame, what a character he was, he hosted his own TV show in character, which I've read described as being like Christopher Lee having a chat show as Dracula. His films are an amazing mix of the totally bizarre and the extremely tacky. There will never be another. RIP.

INT21

Antediluvian
I saw Heather on Pointless Celebrities late last year and she didn't look at all well. That show is becoming the last stand for soon-to-be dead celebs. Anyway, a very intelligent woman, I remember seeing her on Newsround when I was a kid, and she did an excellent series for Channel 4 on the planets, if I remember rightly. RIP.
Many years ago I had a problem with a rather blanket statement she had along the lines of 'We have all-sky cameras that see EVERYTHING that moves up there'.

She wouldn't budge from that position.

Sad that she is no more.

INT21

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
He was apparently 'this generation's Evel Knievel' and I was going to say 'And we all know how THAT ended!'
But luckily I saved face by checking and was reminded that Knievel died of disease in old age.

Maybe I was thinking of Tip Tipping.
Eddie Kidd had a nasty accident that very nearly ended his life, let alone his career. He was the British Evel Knievel. Could it have been him you were thinking of?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Eddie Kidd had a nasty accident that very nearly ended his life, let alone his career. He was the British Evel Knievel. Could it have been him you were thinking of?
Yup, I remember Eddie Kidd's accident.

Some years later he was on Breakast TV being taken for a little motorbike jump as a pillion passenger by a stunt man friend. I used to work in hospitals with people who had injuries like Kidd's and could see how well he was doing.
He still wasn't going back to stunt riding though.

The late stuntman I was thinking of was indeed Tip Tipping. The mention of parachutes might have brought that on.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yup, I remember Eddie Kidd's accident.

Some years later he was on Breakast TV being taken for a little motorbike jump as a pillion passenger by a stunt man friend. I used to work in hospitals with people who had injuries like Kidd's and could see how well he was doing.
He still wasn't going back to stunt riding though.

The late stuntman I was thinking of was indeed Tip Tipping. The mention of parachutes might have brought that on.
Eddie Kidd is sadly in a wheelchair. He can walk...kinda - but it's a struggle for him.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Eddie Kidd is sadly in a wheelchair. He can walk...kinda - but it's a struggle for him.
Yup, I know. Having worked with people who'd had a similar level of injuries, I'd seen Kidd on TV and noticed that he seemed to have a positive attitude and must have been taking his various therapies seriously and working hard at them. I'm full of admiration.

Some people don't recover so well for various reasons. My impression of Kidd was that he has ferocious grip on life and wasn't about to give up. An example to us all!

Peripart

Antediluvian

Vardoger

Don't stand, don't stand, so close to me...
Jahn Teigen, the Norwegian ESC/prog rock icon is dead at 70 after several years illness.
Genesis, the band, asked him to audition as vocalist after Peter Gabriel left.
----------------
Norway loses a ‘national treasure’
February 25, 2020

Jahn Teigen was mostly known as a pop singer, perhaps even a laughable one at that, not least when he dressed up in skeleton costumes or green tights. He became all but immortal for scoring zero points when representing Norway at a Eurovision Song Contest, but that only made him even more endearing at home. His death Monday night has set off a storm of media coverage and tributes.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2020/02/25/norway-loses-a-national-treasure/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Sorry to hear about the death of Clive Cussler.

OK, so his thrillers weren't the greatest literature, but were undeniably terrific, escapist guilty pleasures, in the Indiana Jones style. I've lost count of how many of his novels I've read to make my long train commutes more bearable:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/26/clive-cussler-novelist-dies-88
Aww, no! He was my Dad's favourite author.
I have one or two of his books around here myself.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
A familiar face from many British films and TV shows has gone
Michael Medwin: Shoestring actor dies aged 96
  • 5 hours ago
British actor Michael Medwin has died in hospital in Bournemouth at the age of 96.
Best known for playing radio station boss Don Satchley in TV's Shoestring, he was a prolific supporting player who appeared in films with Michael Caine, Sean Connery and Albert Finney.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51649817

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Sorry to hear about the death of Clive Cussler.

OK, so his thrillers weren't the greatest literature, but were undeniably terrific, escapist guilty pleasures, in the Indiana Jones style. I've lost count of how many of his novels I've read to make my long train commutes more bearable:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/26/clive-cussler-novelist-dies-88
I read a lot of Cussler in my teens, started with 'Raise The Titanic!". Great holiday books. I might crack one open for old times' sake.

I read a lot of Cussler in my teens, started with 'Raise The Titanic!". Great holiday books. I might crack one open for old times' sake.
Same here, I liked his books but eventually detected a formula, I guess that put me off further novels by him. Same with Tom Sharpe, after I saw the formula my interest tapered off.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Same here, I liked his books but eventually detected a formula, I guess that put me off further novels by him. Same with Tom Sharpe, after I saw the formula my interest tapered off.
Tom Sharpe's Throwback, the Wilt series and the South African ones were laugh-out-loud hilarious. I remember reading Wilt on a crowded tube train and getting some funny looks when I couldn't contain my guffaws. Was hoping for more of the same with The Midden, The Gropes and Grantchester Grind. They were, as you say , pretty formulaic and dull though.