The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
He has looked like an old dude in his 70s since he was 40. The last 20 years I haven't seen so much of him.
Circa 30 years ago I was sitting with a Swedish friend in a Stockholm cafe not far from Dramaten. A somewhat hunched-over elderly man in casual attire and wearing what appeared to be house slippers passed by on the sidewalk, carrying a handful of letters and engrossed in reading one of them intently as he shuffled along.

It took a couple of beats to register that it was von Sydow - a fact my friend confirmed.

He always did appear older than he was (until, of course, he became as old as he'd looked for so long ...). That's one reason he was able to project so much gravitas in his roles. RIP ...

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Good old Max, his filmography is absolutely nuts, from Flash Gordon and Strange Brew to The Seventh Seal and Pelle the Conqueror and about a million other wildly varying movies. Always a pleasure to see him. He played Jesus Christ AND Ming the Merciless, for heaven's sake! RIP great man.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I'd squeeze in a mention of his rôle as Harry, the Steppenwolf, in the film adaptation of Hesse's unfilmable novel.

I've yet to see it in a really watchable version. Though Youtube has it here, complete.

RIP. :clap:
FilmFour used to show it when they started in an acceptable print - I think it was an early shot-on-video feature, so it's never going to look great.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Max von Sydow is off to play chess with Death, 90.
Good old Max, his filmography is absolutely nuts, from Flash Gordon and Strange Brew to The Seventh Seal and Pelle the Conqueror and about a million other wildly varying movies. Always a pleasure to see him. He played Jesus Christ AND Ming the Merciless, for heaven's sake! RIP great man.
Oh yes. I love any actor who can play such a variety of roles and still somehow be himself in every role - even in The Simpsons!

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Chef Michel Roux,who opened Britain's first three Michelin-star restaurant, has died at the age of 78.
He had been diagnosed with the lung disease idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, his family said in a statement Thursday.
He died on Wednesday night at his home in Berkshire, southeast England, his family confirmed.

Never got to sample his food but maybe, if I am Lucky, I will get to taste the food that his son now cooks

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
Veteran radio DJ Pete Mitchell, who championed a generation of indie bands, has died aged 61.The former BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music broadcaster, originally from Crumpsall in Manchester, collapsed while walking near his home in Stockport on Thursday.A statement from family friend Jo Houlcroft confirmed the father-of-two's death. Across a 34-year career, Mitchell championed dozens of acts from his home city, as well as The Charlatans.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, avant garde icon and founding member of cult experimental bands Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV, has died, as Dais Records co-founder Ryan Martin has revealed via social media. Martin shared a statement from Genesis’ daughters, Genesse and Caresse, who confirmed that their parent died the morning of March 14, 2020. P-Orridge was diagnosed with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia in 2017. P-Orridge was 70 years old.

https://pitchfork.com/news/genesis-breyer-p-orridge-dead-at-70/

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
I was stuck at Harrow-on-the-Hill some 20 years ago - windy, dark and a single announcement on the PA saying something about a signal failure outside the station. Nothing came or went on any of the six platforms for over an hour, my fellow passengers dissipated and the station Staff vanished. Time slowed down and as I waiting for a Rod Serling voice-over, I fished out a copy of the Daily Telegraph and read it from cover to cover. In the Arts section was a small piece from a Journalist whose brother had gone to the same college as Genesis P Orridge and from him had learnt that Mr Orridge had just sneaked back into the UK from a self-imposed exile abroad (that had been encouraged by MI5 and the Authorities apparently). I recognised the name (and his female partner Cosey Fanni Tutti) from Throbbing Gristle and in the New Musial Express (NME) as discussed in the schoolyard 20 years before then. Until today I thought the one popular ditty I knew from Throbbing Gristle was "I can't come" ("an iconoclastic mantra of amphetamine-induced sexual dysfunction" -Wiki) - but have just learnt this was penned by another popular beat combo at the time -The Snivelling Shits. Leader singer of the Shits was Giovanni Dadomo who died in 1997, about the time I was reading the article on Mr Orridge.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In the Arts section was a small piece from a Journalist whose brother had gone to the same college as Genesis P Orridge and from him had learnt that Mr Orridge had just sneaked back into the UK from a self-imposed exile abroad (that had been encouraged by MI5 and the Authorities apparently).
Orridge was well known as an 'anarchist' type, but I didn't think he'd aroused the attention of TPTB. Interesting.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Wasn't Orridge framed by a Channel 4 documentary to look like a paedophile, when the footage they had actually showed him/her with willing participants over the age of consent? That was the reason s/he pissed off out of the country. RIP anyway, a unique individual.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I remember listening to the News Huddlines on the radio, back in the day. I'm somewhat surprised to learn that he was only 83 - I thought he'd been around for ever.
Indeed, and he seemed to know an implausible number of people. Gentle comedy, for the most part, and he came across as very affable.

Also listened to the News Huddlines what seems like a lifetime ago.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I also listened to The News Huddlines, but he was incredibly prolific, from drama to comedy, and excellent at it all. He was even in a "stop littering" public information film. And of course an absolute expert on music hall. RIP.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Legendary Boxing trainer and former two weight world champion Roger Mayweather.
Was a formidable fighter and veryimportant in the career of his nephew Floyd Jr.

From a Fortean point-of-view his fighting nickname was "Black Mamba", his death coming just under two months after Kobe Bryant's, the other athlete nicknamed 'Black Mamba".

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Famed Western actor Stuart Whitman has died aged 92. The star is best known or starring in The Comancheros with John Wayne in 1961. According to TMZ, he passed around at his home in Montecito in California. A longtime friend told the publication that the actor was in and out of the hospital as he was battling skin cancer which went into his bloodstream.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/western-actor-stuart-whitman-dead-aged-92-12412154/

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Famed Western actor Stuart Whitman has died aged 92. The star is best known or starring in The Comancheros with John Wayne in 1961. According to TMZ, he passed around at his home in Montecito in California. A longtime friend told the publication that the actor was in and out of the hospital as he was battling skin cancer which went into his bloodstream.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/western-actor-stuart-whitman-dead-aged-92-12412154/
I watched him in an episode of Cimarron Strip on Prime recently - a 60's western series. The episode was about a Jack the Ripper style murder in the wild west and written by Harlan Ellison.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sorry to hear about Stuart and Lyle, obviously the Grim Reaper had it in for strapping, rugged actors recently. Stuart especially had an interesting career, he enjoyed one of Hollywood's first interracial kisses with Dorothy Dandridge, and went on to be quite the exploitation star because he just loved acting, and wasn't too discriminating (!). Lyle nearly derailed his career by starring in a romantic film about necrophilia. RIP to them both.