The R.I.P. Thread

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Reaction score
Jerry Stiller, actor, dead
Sad news. I've watched a few episodes of Seinfeld tonight and he is fantastic as George's dad.

Also sad to read of the passing of Marty Pasko, writer of Swamp Thing, Dr Fate and some really good Superman comics, as well as writing for Roseanne, the Twilight Zone, and Buck Rogers on TV, who has died aged 65.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Jerry Stiller was also great in John Waters' Hairspray as Divine's husband, not everyone in Waters' later films "got" his sensibility, but Stiller was right there. Good man. RIP.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
He also played Lt Patrone in the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123, one of my favourite 70's thrillers.
A great film.
And what a scene.
The way that Petrone is so "not interested" when introduced to the visiting Japanese delegation is classic!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
A great film.
And what a scene.
The way that Petrone is so "not interested" when introduced to the visiting Japanese delegation is classic!
"And right through here's our operations lieutenant, Enrico Patrone, who on weekends works for the mafia."

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Nigel (dog)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nigel (17 May 2008 – 11 May 2020) was a male golden retriever dog owned by Monty Don, a British television gardening presenter. Nigel was known for his appearances on the BBC Two gardening programme, Gardeners' World. 'Buried with plenty of tennis balls'

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It could be that cytokine storm. Sumo wrestlers do also have a lower life expectancy.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
You mean 'in optimal fighting shape', surely?
lf by “optimal shape” you mean “spherical”, then yes.

By coincidence, l was watching Paul Hollywood Eats Japan yesterday evening, and l was reminded that a sumo’s daily food intake amounts to 10,000 calories. This compares to our recommended 2,500 for an adult male.

Muscular and highly-trained”? Yes; but l would imagine that the only thing more explosive than their wrestling attacks is their coronary artery system.

maximus otter

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

By coincidence, l was watching Paul Hollywood Eats Japan yesterday evening, and l was reminded that a sumo’s daily food intake amounts to 10,000 calories. This compares to our recommended 2,500 for an adult male.

Muscular and highly-trained”? Yes; but l would imagine that the only thing more explosive than their wrestling attacks is their coronary artery system.

maximus otter
Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy some 10 - 20 years less than the average male Japanese.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

maximus otter
I recall being grimly fascinated by a documentary in which Giles Coren and Sue Perkins attempted to adopt the diet of an Edwardian gentleman for a week: the variety and quantity of food consumed was awe-inspiring, and I recall noting that breakfast roughly probably mirrored my own calorie intake for a typical day. They were doing 5000+ per day.

Those who ate like this were often pretty active and had long and very regular days--all of which would help the body--but, by God, you can see why they felt the need to go out and conquer; they must have been bubbling over with unexpended energy.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I recall being grimly fascinated by a documentary in which Giles Coren and Sue Perkins attempted to adopt the diet of an Edwardian gentleman for a week: the variety and quantity of food consumed was awe-inspiring, and I recall noting that breakfast roughly probably mirrored my own calorie intake for a typical day. They were doing 5000+ per day.

Those who ate like this were often pretty active and had long and very regular days--all of which would help the body--but, by God, you can see why they felt the need to go out and conquer; they must have been bubbling over with unexpended energy.

lt was an excellent series. l cherish memories of Sue Perkins, in full Miss Elizabeth Bennet rig, being dragged around a ballroom by a young cavalry officer to whose ankle she had attached herself, all the while drunkenly promising him lascivious delights. More food programmes like this, please.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
lt was an excellent series. l cherish memories of Sue Perkins, in full Miss Elizabeth Bennet rig, being dragged around a ballroom by a young cavalry officer to whose ankle she had attached herself, all the while drunkenly promising him lascivious delights. More food programmes like this, please.

maximus otter
I never saw the series--only this 'one off' that preceded it.

Will investigate.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy some 10 - 20 years less than the average male Japanese.
I used to like the Sumo which was shown on Ch4 years ago, presented by Lyall Watson. Some of them were monstrous.

Very ritualised - amble towards the ring, size the opponent up, throw salt around, crouch down with one hand touching the ground, glare at each other, then go at it, both bow at the end. The bouts didn't last long.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Reaction score
I used to like the Sumo which was shown on Ch4 years ago, presented by Lyall Watson. Some of them were monstrous.

Very ritualised - amble towards the ring, size the opponent up, throw salt around, crouch down with one hand touching the ground, glare at each other, then go at it, both bow at the end. The bouts didn't last long.
Wasn't that on round about tbe same time as they showed the (very addictive) Kabaddi tournaments?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score

The Dump Truck

And the Master -The Wolf

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Impressive moobs on the Dump Truck. And compare size with his opponent who's closer to the camera..

The Wolf was a relative lightweight in comparison.

You reminded me they all had nicknames.

Never really watched Kabaddi - is it a good spectator sport?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
The Wolf doesn't look fat enough. But he does have an elaborate nappy.
He was considered one of the best Yokozunas that ever lived, particularly in modern times. He relied on technique and agility to defeat his heavier opponents.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
Just a young guy. It baffles me, how somebody aged 100 can survive this, and a young fellow can't.
In his case it's likely obesity and diabetes but there have been other anomalies in young people with no issues.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I see the great comic actor Roy Kinnear's daughter died of the virus recently. She was in her 40s with no other issues.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I see the great comic actor Roy Kinnear's daughter died of the virus recently. She was in her 40s with no other issues.
No other issues?
Their elder daughter, Karina, was born quadriplegic and had learning difficulties. Karina Kinnear died from the Coronavirus in May 2020.