The R.I.P. Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
An unfortunately forgotten figure who was central to the US television industry's first major scandal has passed away.
Herbert Stempel, TV quiz show whistleblower, dies at 93

Herbert Stempel, a fall guy and whistleblower of early television whose confession to deliberately losing on a 1950s quiz show helped drive a national scandal and join his name in history to winning contestant Charles Van Doren, has died age 93.

Stempel’s former wife, Ethel Stempel, told The Associated Press on Sunday that he died at a New York nursing home on April 7. She cited no specific cause of death.

Stempel’s long life was changed and defined by a TV face-off late in 1956, when he and Van Doren smoothly executed a fraudulent display of knowledge, gaps in knowledge and sportsmanship on “Twenty-One,” part of a wave of programs that offered big prizes for trivia experts. Confessions by Stempel and others badly tainted the young medium, helped lead to Congress’ banning what had been technically legal — rigging game shows — and to the cancellation of “Twenty-One” among others.

Interest was revived by the 1994 movie “Quiz Show,” directed by Robert Redford and starring John Turturro as Stempel and Ralph Fiennes as Van Doren, who died last year. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/03d6d92a1ae6bbf01e047f46d28cc058

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Lennie Niehaus, Alto Saxophonist and Frequent Clint Eastwood Collaborator, Dies at 90
10:56 AM PDT 6/1/2020 by Mike Barnes

His resume includes 'Bird,' 'The Unforgiven,' 'The Bridges of Madison County' and an Emmy Award.
Lennie Niehaus, the West Coast alto saxophonist, arranger and composer who played with Stan Kenton's band and collaborated with Clint Eastwood on more than two dozen films, has died. He was 90.
Niehaus died Thursday at his daughter's home in Redlands, California, under hospice care, his family announced.
Niehaus first met Eastwood in the 1950s in the U.S. Army when the future Hollywood legend served as his swimming instructor at Fort Ord in Monterey, California. A mutual love of jazz sealed their friendship.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...nt-clint-eastwood-collaborator-was-90-1296668

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Irene Triplett, the last person receiving a pension from the U.S. Civil War, has died at the age of 90.

Ms. Triplett’s father, Mose Triplett, started fighting in the war for the Confederacy, but defected to the North in 1863. That decision earned his daughter Irene, the product of a late-in-life marriage to a woman almost 50 years his junior, a pension of $73.13 a month from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Pvt. Triplett married Elida Hall in 1924. She was 34 when Irene was born in 1930; he was 83. Such an age difference wasn’t rare, especially later, during the Great Depression, when Civil War veterans found themselves with both a pension and a growing need for care.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/last-person-to-receive-a-civil-war-era-pension-dies/ar-BB14WxEa

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He took his last breath... Breatharian yogi Prahlad Jani has passed away.

India yogi who claimed to live without food or water dies aged 90
An Indian yogi whose claims he spent decades without food or water earned him a band of devotees and the scepticism of doctors died Tuesday, his neighbour told AFP.

The long-haired and bearded Prahlad Jani -- who dressed in red and wore a nose ring in the fashion of Hindu goddesses -- hailed from Charada village in the western state of Gujarat, where he spent his life in a routine of yoga and mediation.

He was 90 based on his claim that he was born in August 1929.

"He died early Tuesday morning at his residence due to old age," Sheetal Chaudhary, who lived next door to Jani, told AFP.

"He was rushed to hospital after midnight, but was declared dead on arrival by the doctors there."
https://www.france24.com/en/2020052...ed-to-live-without-food-or-water-dies-aged-90

Beresford

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Steve Priest - bassist and founder member of The Sweet has died, aged 72.
My sister was a huge Sweet fan and will be truly upset:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52933584

Here he is at his most outrageous:

In normal times I work near the venue where the incident which inspired Ballroom Blitz occurred. I've often suggested installing a blue plaque to commemorate it and the song, but the powers that be have never taken up the idea.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A story I heard about Steve is that 'e was 'ard as NAILS. Anyone mocking him for having long hair or for dragging up on stage received an immediate knuckle butty. They didn't ask for seconds.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A story I heard about Steve is that 'e was 'ard as NAILS. Anyone mocking him for having long hair or for dragging up on stage received an immediate knuckle butty. They didn't ask for seconds.
Yeah a relative knew the band and they all liked a punch up.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Not many of these giants left alive now.

Cécile Rol-Tanguy
Born: April 10th, 1919
Died: May 8th, 2020

Scattered throughout Paris, hundreds of small plaques poignantly commemorate the resistance fighters killed on the streets in the uprising against the German occupation shortly before the city was liberated in August 1944. Cécile Rol-Tanguy, who died at the age of 101 on May 8th (the 75th anniversary of VE Day), was one of the survivors.

She famously hid weapons and detonators in her pram or under the turnips in her shopping basket as she wheeled her children around Paris
There was never much doubt that she would be sympathetic to the resistance, but she later said the events leading up to the Nazi victory in France in 1940 – including the death in hospital of her first child, the arrest of her father and the disappearance of her husband Henri Rol-Tanguy – made her active participation a certainty.

In a country that struggled after the war to come to terms with how many citizens had collaborated with the occupiers and the Vichy government, and acquiesced in the deportation of Jews and communists, she was celebrated and decorated by successive postwar leaders as a true heroine of the resistance. She famously hid weapons and detonators in her pram or under the turnips in her shopping basket as she wheeled her children around Paris.

More often, though, she was carrying secret instructions and other documents as the liaison officer for her husband, who was in hiding as the military head of the Forces Françaises de l’intérieur in the Paris region.

In a 2014 interview at the age of 95, she described one heart-stopping moment during the war when she was carrying a roll of sensitive documents and was questioned at the top of a flight of stairs in the metro. “He said, ‘Is it butter?’ I said yes. He said, ‘Go’.” ...

She also talked about her comrade Angèle Mercier who was arrested and died in Auschwitz. “It is for all those women that I must continue to bear witness,” she said.

Rol-Tanguy, using pseudonyms such as Jeanne, Yvette and Lucie, pursued her dangerous work during the war. It culminated in her typing the famous order for a Paris uprising “against the Boches” dictated by her husband in the early hours of August 19 1944.

“Colonel Rol”, with his wife by his side, helped run the uprising from the Paris catacombs under the Place Denfert-Rochereau until the arrival of Allied tanks a week later and the liberation of Paris.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...ue-heroine-of-the-french-resistance-1.4270870

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Bat man dies.

Thomas Kunz, a mammalogist at Boston University who studied and advocated for bats, died April 13 from complications associated with COVID-19. He was 81.

Kunz was born in Independence, Missouri, on June 11, 1938. He received a bachelor’s in biology in 1961 and master’s in education in 1962 from Central Missouri State College. He went on to receive a master’s from Drake University in biology in 1968. After earning a PhD from the University of Kansas in systematics and ecology in 1971, Kunz joined the faculty in the Department of Biology at Boston University. He remained there until 2011, when injuries from a car accident forced him to retire from academic duties.

Kunz studied the ecology and population dynamics of bats in the United States, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Trinidad, India, and Malaysia. He used thermal infrared imaging to count bats in colonies and track flight patterns. ...

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/bat-ecologist-thomas-kunz-dies-67612

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Bat man dies.

Thomas Kunz, a mammalogist at Boston University who studied and advocated for bats, died April 13 from complications associated with COVID-19. He was 81.

Kunz was born in Independence, Missouri, on June 11, 1938. He received a bachelor’s in biology in 1961 and master’s in education in 1962 from Central Missouri State College. He went on to receive a master’s from Drake University in biology in 1968. After earning a PhD from the University of Kansas in systematics and ecology in 1971, Kunz joined the faculty in the Department of Biology at Boston University. He remained there until 2011, when injuries from a car accident forced him to retire from academic duties.

Kunz studied the ecology and population dynamics of bats in the United States, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Trinidad, India, and Malaysia. He used thermal infrared imaging to count bats in colonies and track flight patterns. ...

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/bat-ecologist-thomas-kunz-dies-67612
Is that sadly ironic?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Kurt Thomas, superb gymnast and less-than-superb movie star, dies aged 64 after a stroke:
Obit

I don't know about gymnastics, but Gymkata (the movie he starred in) is really something in the annals of bad movies. And namechecked hilariously in The Lego Batman Movie. RIP.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The headline below says it all...

Bonnie Pointer of The Pointer Sisters Dead at 69

The music world is mourning the loss of Bonnie Pointer.

Bonnie, an original member of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, died Monday, June 8 at the age of 69.

Anita Pointer told Variety in a statement, "It is with great sadness that I have to announce to the fans of the Pointer Sisters that my sister Bonnie died this morning. Our family is devastated. On behalf of my siblings and I and the entire Pointer family, we ask for your prayers at this time."

"Bonnie was my best friend and we talked every day," Anita continued in her tribute. "We never had a fight in our life. I already miss her and I will see her again one day."

The singer and younger sister June Pointer, who passed away in 2006, co-founded the group as a duo in 1969. Anita joined the group the same year, followed by their older sister Ruth Pointer in 1972. Known for hit songs like "I'm So Excited," "Jump (For My Love)" and "Fairytale," The Pointer Sisters went on to win three Grammy Award
https://www.eonline.com/news/1159445/bonnie-pointer-of-the-pointer-sisters-dead-at-69

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hadn't Bonnie left for a solo career by the time her sisters had their 80s hits? Her Heaven Must Have Sent You is a disco banger.