The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Denny O'Neil, legendary comic writer, dies at 81:
Obit

A bit before my time, but I did enjoy reading his Batman stories when they were collected later. And his Green Lantern run changed the course of comics full stop. RIP.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On a fortean note his frequent collaborator, Neal Adams, promotes the theory that the Earth is expanding. That this expansion is why we have continental plates and oceanic plates on Earth.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I know it's an internet thing to joke about Chuck Norris being invincible but he's passed away God bless him .. corona virius is being blamed ..

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Welsh singer Ricky Valance has died at the age of 84, his agent has confirmed.
Valance, who was born David Spencer, became the first Welshman to have a solo UK Number One hit with the song Tell Laura I Love Her in 1960.

From BBC news App

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A Filmmaker who had many talents, in lighting design, directing, production and in Theatre.

Liam O’Neill
Born: May 21st, 1956
Died: May 29th, 2020

The recession of the 1980s was a difficult time in Ireland, forcing countless people to emigrate. But there were many who didn’t leave because they had ideas,plans and dreams, and were prepared to fight to make a contribution to the country’s regeneration. One of those was Liam O’Neill, who has died as a result of coronavirus at the age of 64.

His strong sense of commitment may have been due to the fact that he was born in Chicago, first-generation Irish, his mother returning to Dublin with him and his siblings in 1968, when he was 12.

He was always prepared to produce and help other film-makers get their films made
One of the first graduates of the fledgling film course at Dún Laoghaire Art College (now the National Film School), he emerged in the mid-1980s as a budding director, writer and cinematographer, at a time when there was virtually no film industry here. Despite this, there were ideas, plans, and ambitions in the air. Organisations emerged to support film-makers and to lobby for a more positive policy towards the industry, and O’Neill was highly active in these.

For four years in the early 1990s, he was chairman of Film Base, the film-makers’ resource centre, which was followed by participation on the board of the EU-funded Media Desk. Both organisations in their own way contributed to the blossoming of the Irish film industry and the energy behind them formed an important part of the impetus for the reconstitution of the Irish Film Board (now Screen Ireland) in 1993.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...-development-of-irish-film-industry-1.4277580

A Poet who suddenly delivered a long loud silence. He also worked as a London lamplighter.

Born: September 2nd, 1932
Died: April 15th, 2020

Dublin poet Richard Weber, whose work has been included in numerous Irish and international anthologies, has died aged 87. He began his rise to prominence in the early 1960s, when critics variously described his work as lyrical, reflective and assured.

However, his career as a poet was a relatively short one, with his last book published in 1972. In 1995, poet Rory Brennan lamented his silence, in his overview for Poetry in Contemporary Irish Literature. “Richard Weber is a pellucid lyricist whose two-decade silence is to be greatly regretted,” he wrote. “Having mastered his art, he mysteriously ceased to exercise it. A manufacturer of buzzing squibs, a love poet in the high old manner, a ruminator on the function of literature, a payer of homage to the deserving person and place, Weber must not be overlooked because of his sudden silence.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...irish-poet-who-suddenly-went-silent-1.4277680

A Theatre School Director who knew how to capture a supporting actor: In 1965, Betty Ann met her husband to be, Michael J Cunneen, on the Aran Islands – literally knocking him down as she was riding her bike.

Born: July 5th, 1936
Died: June 5th, 2020

The founder and director of one of Ireland’s most prominent theatre schools, Betty Ann Norton, has died following a short illness. For more than 60 years, Norton inspired young Dubliners to have the confidence to take to the stage. The passion and enthusiasm she brought to her speech and drama classes – first on Harcourt Street and latterly in St Louis High School in Rathmines was legendary. Former pupils include prominent figures in the arts and media including actor/writer Amy Huberman, singer Eleanor Shanley, novelist Emma Donoghue, Riverdance director Moya Doherty, filmmaker Vincent Lambe, Irish Times critic Peter Crawley, theatre director Jim Culleton, RTÉ broadcaster Áine Lawlor and many more.

“The secret of life is to know what you want,” she said in an Irish Times interview in 2003. “I’ve always known that I wanted to teach voice and acting.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...y-taught-generations-of-irish-stars-1.4276698

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Only yesterday I was thinking that Lynn might die soon. The reason was that her daughter was interviewed on t'wireless a couple of weeks ago about her and I had the impression that she had become very frail.
You'd think she'd have spoken on the phone herself but it seemed that would have been too much for her. So I'm not surprised to hear she's died. A good age though.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Dame Vera, an all round decent person, generous, modest and supported countless veterans since the 1940s, including Burmese ones (she toured Burma). She also sued the BNP for using The White Cliffs of Dover without her consent. A genuine icon. We shall not see her like again... RIP.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score