The R.I.P. Thread

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Joel Schumacher, there was a character they should make a film about. He claimed to have had sex with as many as 30,000 men in his lifetime. I once listened to one of his DVD audio commentaries out of curiosity, and he was very good company.

And do you know? I saw Batman & Robin in the cinema, and the first thing I said to the person sitting next to me after it had finished was "Better than the last one!" It's as much "Cocaine: The Movie" as the Pacino Scarface, except it's family friendly cocaine. I hate St Elmo's Fire way more than I hate Batman & Robin. And he wrote Car Wash, which is really good. RIP.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Denny O'Neil, legendary comic writer, dies at 81:
Obit

A bit before my time, but I did enjoy reading his Batman stories when they were collected later. And his Green Lantern run changed the course of comics full stop. RIP.
The comics industry has also now lost another legend: Joltin' Joe Sinnott, passed away aged 93, inker who worked with artists like John Buscema, Jim Steranko, John Byrne and many others but most notably Jack Kirby where he became the definitive Fantastic Four inked.

Thanks for all the great memories, Joe!

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Ketih Tippett went last week. Played with King Crimson for a time but was primarily a jazz musician. He contributed to my favourite Crimso album Lizard. Our own sometimes keyboard player (who was also more of a jazz guy) knew him.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ketih Tippett went last week. Played with King Crimson for a time but was primarily a jazz musician. He contributed to my favourite Crimso album Lizard. Our own sometimes keyboard player (who was also more of a jazz guy) knew him.
That is probably my 2nd favourite KC album, after "Court".
I too was sorry to hear of Keith Tippett's death. 72 is no age these days.

Here he is both conducting and playing piano in "Septober Energy" (pt.4). His wife, Julie provides some very other-worldly vocals!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Taryn Power has died at 67 of Leukaemia
https://thelifeandtimesofhollywood.com/taryn-power-daughter-of-tyrone-power-dies-at-67-of-leukemia/
For must of us she will be recognisable as one of the two female leads in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. She was Dione, the one that wasn’t Jane Seymour.
I'm sad to hear that, I mostly know her from Henry Jaglom's cult Vietnam War movie Tracks. She barely knew her movie star father Tyrone Power, who had a fatal heart attack pretty young. I hope she had a contented life. RIP.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I've just been reading the obits. Legend is almost too mild, he changed comedy. The Man With Two Brains is one of my favourite comedy movies. So sad for Mel Brooks, they used to spend every evening together. RIP great man.
The Jerk too.

on the Guardian site someone said he directed some of the best of Steve Martin's work - wrong he directed the best of Steve Martin.

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Earl Cameron, actor of stage and screen, dies aged 102:
Obit

One of the first black actors to make his name in Britain, he refused to take demeaning roles, which did mean he was out of work when a more open minded time would have seen someone of his talent working consistently. But he was in plenty of stuff, like Thunderball, Doctor Who, Neverwhere and Christopher Nolan's Inception (just a cameo, though)

He was the first black leading man in a British film for the thriller Pool of London in 1951. It features a wonderful scene where he and the white actress Susan Shaw (who had a really sad life) are realising they are falling in love, but simultaneously realising because of the society they are in their colour means they can never do anything about it. It's beautifully acted by them both. RIP to a very gracious man.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
The great Ennio Morricone has gone. RIP
Ennio Morricone: Oscar-winning Italian film composer dies aged 91
  • 14 minutes ago

copyrightEPAImage captionEnnio Morricone conducting in Amsterdam in 2016
Ennio Morricone, the Italian composer whose credits include the "spaghetti" Westerns that made Clint Eastwood a star, has died in Rome aged 91.
According to Italian news agency Ansa, he died in hospital having fractured his femur in a fall some days ago.
The prolific composer also wrote music for Once Upon a Time in America, The Untouchables and Cinema Paradiso.
Having received an honorary Oscar in 2007, he went on to win one in 2016 for Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight.
Morricone, who was simply known as "Maestro" in his home town of Rome, scored more than 500 films over seven decades.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53305397

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
I was just watching Once Upon a Time in the West yesterday. Even spookier was that I watched The Jerk and then saw that Carl Reiner had died.
Anyway, more from the Maestro

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Genius is an overused word, but my goodness it applies to Morricone. Too many great soundtracks to name, but I remember sitting in the cinema when The Untouchables started, and hearing this:
...and knowing this was going to be great.

That's without even starting on his Westerns. Though I am partial to his soundtrack to this Charles Bronson movie:
Probably better than it needed to be, but what a theme! A brilliant man. RIP.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
A friend of mine chose this for her wedding - years later, after her divorce she said that she should have chosen Morricone composition instead - the theme from The Thing.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
Brig of this parish. A wealth of interesting accounts, told well. I was always glad to see his handle pop-up. I guess we never will know now what that figure on his staircase was.

Information courtesy of @EnolaGaia:
I regret to inform you that I've located (with maximum confidence) an obituary for Brig. He passed away on March 28, 2020.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
A footballing legend has gone RIP
Jack Charlton: England World Cup winner and ex-Republic of Ireland boss dies aged 85

Jack Charlton, a World Cup winner with England and former Republic of Ireland boss, has died aged 85.
The former Leeds defender had been diagnosed with lymphoma in the last year and also had dementia.
One of English football's most popular characters, he was in the team that won the World Cup at Wembley in 1966, alongside his brother Bobby.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53373542