• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cryptids Verified As "Real" Or Awaiting Verifiable Discovery

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
NOTE: This thread had been thematically vague for a long time, and it accumulated a number of posts that didn't reflect even the vague theme that had been established. Those posts have been moved to multiple more appropriate threads elsewhere.

This thread has been re-titled to reflect the remaining posts that didn't recommend themselves for copying or transfer elsewhere *and* which related to cryptids and cryptozoology.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Giant Short Nosed Bear was at the peak of the food chain before it's extinction 11 thousand years ago. It also (like the Wooly Mammoth) went extinct at the end of the last ice age ~ 11,000 years ago. This animal certainly wasn't driven into extinction by man. Man almost certainly trembled in fear at the sight or sound of this predator, that grew up to a maximum weight of 2100+ pounds, and stood up to > 12', tall. The beast could run at speeds of (30 to 40) mph. It would seem to me that the caribou, moose, musk ox, bison, etc. that survived the extinction event could still have provided ample food for it's survival had it not been for the extinction event? Scientist have claimed it died out due to climatic changes that occurred at the end of the last ice age. Perhaps the megafauna's worse nightmare died out w/o the help of man.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ar-largest-giant-short-faced-animals-science/

Last edited:
What on earth is the "Vietnamese beef forest", allegedly discovered 1992?
A-saola-photographed-in-t-008.jpg

Photograph: AP
Looking like a small deer, the saola was originally identified as a new species from remains discovered in Vietnam in 1992 but a live animal wasn't discovered until 2010.

Jim, thanks. Actually, thinking over the matter just a little while ago caused me to figure out, with help from Google, that the saola (of which I'd heard previously) was the species referred to. If I understand rightly, the outfit which produced the linked-to list, is German: thus, a bit of trans-language awkwardness. The saola is forest-dwelling, and though deer-like in appearance, is actually a bovine: hence "Vietnamese beef forest".

Jim, thanks. Actually, thinking over the matter just a little while ago caused me to figure out, with help from Google, that the saola (of which I'd heard previously) was the species referred to. If I understand rightly, the outfit which produced the linked-to list, is German: thus, a bit of trans-language awkwardness. The saola is forest-dwelling, and though deer-like in appearance, is actually a bovine: hence "Vietnamese beef forest".
Hi asyasleigh, the Soala is actually a pretty good sized bovine getting up to ~ 220 pounds. It's encouraging to hear about relatively large cryptids beings found relatively recently on land in the 21st century. Like the Bili Ape up to 200 pounds+ and the Giant Peccary at up to 110 pounds as well.

Hi asyasleigh, the Soala is actually a pretty good sized bovine getting up to ~ 220 pounds. It's encouraging to hear about relatively large cryptids beings found relatively recently on land in the 21st century. Like the Bili Ape up to 200 pounds+ and the Giant Peccary at up to 110 pounds as well.

Good stuff to hear of, for sure -- makes me think I should perhaps reconsider what tends to be my default position of "the planet is so thoroughly explored / people-filled / cleared / tamed, that there's no way [Cryptid A, B or C] can be around and alive today, undocumented by science".

It turns out that our Vietnamese friend goes by multiple names: as well as saola, there's Vu Quang ox, spindlehorn, and Asian bicorn. And, zoological Latin: Pseudoryx nghetinhensis. "Pseudo-oryx", seemingly -- not a bad description !

I think large animals could still be hiding out their in the wildernesses. I don't think we always appreciate the shear size of those places that are still dominated by nature, and how incredibly difficult it is to find anything in them, unless it's something that has habits that make it relatively easy to find. Large primates, such as the hominids so popular in cryptozoology, might well be shy and smart enough to remain hidden. Unless seen accidentally while walking along in the open, they could possibly be missed by searchers in forests even though they're mere metres apart. All they would have to do is remain still. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out. Camera traps are perhaps our best chance of proving the existence of such creatures these days.

I think large animals could still be hiding out their in the wildernesses. I don't think we always appreciate the shear size of those places that are still dominated by nature, and how incredibly difficult it is to find anything in them, unless it's something that has habits that make it relatively easy to find. Large primates, such as the hominids so popular in cryptozoology, might well be shy and smart enough to remain hidden. Unless seen accidentally while walking along in the open, they could possibly be missed by searchers in forests even though they're mere metres apart. All they would have to do is remain still. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out. Camera traps are perhaps our best chance of proving the existence of such creatures these days.

It's been frequently observed that somehow, no "unmanned" wildlife camera / camera trap in the great forests of North America (and there are plenty of such there, nowadays) has recorded much in the way of a worthwhile image of a Bigfoot. The whole BF subject is, of course, replete with all manner of weirdness... my strong feeling thereon is that whatever the Bigfoot phenomenon may be about, it's not an as yet undocumented purely-flesh-and-blood species.

It's been frequently observed that somehow, no "unmanned" wildlife camera / camera trap in the great forests of North America (and there are plenty of such there, nowadays) has recorded much in the way of a worthwhile image of a Bigfoot. The whole BF subject is, of course, replete with all manner of weirdness... my strong feeling thereon is that whatever the Bigfoot phenomenon may be about, it's not an as yet undocumented purely-flesh-and-blood species.
I have my doubts about bigfoot, too. But orang pendek and ebu gogo could probably benefit from a thorough camera trapping. Richard Freeman seems pretty convinced of orang pendek's physical existence, having been to Sumatra looking for it.

T

Remember the 'bag wolf'.

T

Remember the 'bag wolf'.

Ah, yes, the dear old bag wolf. That one was quite sense-making, really: "Beutel" in German means purse or bag -- by extension, a marsupial's pouch. The German word for marsupial, is "Beuteltier". The "beef forest" thing, though, just seems strange -- not normal German (or English !) word order. An error more to be expected, if the site concerned had been a French one -- the wording as-is, could be a direct carry-over from the French for "Vietnamese ox of the forest".

Back