• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Revenge Of A Trionychidae

王泥喜法介

Devoted Cultist
In China, a small town along with the Yangzi River abounds with a kind of Trionychidae, and local residents find this Trionychidae delicious, particularly the meat around the shell. Because this piece of meat seems like a skirt of the Trionychidae, local residents call it " Trionychidae's skirt".

However, it is said that the Trionychidae is brilliant and could perceive human's emotion. For instance, when they hear someone is attempting to catch them, they would hide secretly. Also, they could remember the appearance of the hunter they have met and would probably revenge. Therefore, before starting the work, the hunters must cast a spell to hide.

One day, a young man went out to hunt for this Trionychidae, and his wife stayed at home. A few hours later, his wife heard that someone was knocking on the door, and then found there standing a strange lady. The hunter's wife asked the lady who she was and why she visited here. To the hunter's wife's surprise, the young lady responded angrily: "Your husband is too rude. Just now, he molested my sister and then teared up my sister's skirt! How dare he is?!"

The hunter's wife knew her husband's job and heard something about the Trionychidae before, so she responded calmly:" Excuse me, my husband is honest and mild-mannered. I am afraid he would never molest any girl, and possibly you have mixed the culprit for my husband."

The young lady was silent for a moment and then continued: "OK, perhaps I misunderstand it. By the way, I have heard that your family sell Trionychidae's skirt and could I buy some? I want to have a try."

After hearing these words, the hunter's wife doubted the identity of the young lady immediately and supposed that this "lady" was probably a Trionychidae who came here for revenge. Thought of here, the hunter's wife repressed her nervousness and said calmly:" No, I am afraid you make a mistake again because nobody hunts for Trionychidae in our village. But I know a man who lives in an adjoining village runs this business. You can visit him to buy what you want." After hearing this, the young lady did not reply and then left.

Shortly afterwards, the hunter returned and complained:" Today I have nearly caught a Trionychidae. I have touched its skirt, but it finally escaped." At this point, his wife narrated what happened just now, and the hunter realised that he had forgotten to cast the spell in the morning.

This is the whole content of this story. However, I usually imagine that what would happen if the hunter's wife exposed her's husband's identity.

Last edited:
A trionychidae is better known as a softshell turtle in English, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, liking all these folktales you have!

A trionychidae is better known as a softshell turtle in English, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, liking all these folktales you have!
Thanks, I felt "trionychidae" too formal when I was writing this thread but could not find an alternative word. Thank you for your notification.

In China, a small town along with the Yangzi River abounds with a kind of Trionychidae, and local residents find this Trionychidae delicious, particularly the meat around the shell. Because this piece of meat seems like a skirt of the Trionychidae, local residents call it " Trionychidae's skirt".

Love it. Shape-shifting animals / spirits are very common in German folklore too.

Thank you! You always have very interesting stories.

I also wonder what form of revenge a turtle might enact on his attacker, but it's sure to be cold-blooded.

Back