• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Reverse Haunted House

You raise an interesting point. When is the cutoff? Are brand-new homes never haunted? Ok, it might breach the Construction, Design & Maintenance Regulations...are ghost only present in old old houses?

I can understand if brand new homes aren't haunted as generally they're too fresh for someone to have died in them yet, but the 70+ years since the war has given us plenty of time to generate new ghouls.

Going by the standard convention of dead = ghost potential, of course.

50s/60s/70s houses with swirly ceilings and sauna-style cladding fill me with a different kind of fright...

I can understand if brand new homes aren't haunted as generally they're too fresh for someone to have died in them yet, but the 70+ years since the war has given us plenty of time to generate new ghouls.

Going by the standard convention of dead = ghost potential, of course.

50s/60s/70s houses with swirly ceilings and sauna-style cladding fill me with a different kind of fright...

But that presupposes that a haunting has to be caused by someone dying in the property...

I sometimes wonder if I'm haunting one of my former houses due to a traumatic event that happened to me when I lived there! Can talk about it ok but sometimes it all comes back to me intensly and unbidden. The feelings pass but I do wonder if on some level the feelings have caused me to pop up there!

Sollywos x

What else entirely??
Please don't leave us at the mercy of our imaginations :mattack: (unless it's too private, of course).
Oh I've posted about it several times here, so you may need to run a search. ;o) Basically, what we saw and more frequently, heard, was an elderly man who looked like a late 19thC farmer or farm labourer. And then my husband found a Victorian photo at an exhibition in the village library, years ago and there was a shot that accidentally, I think, showed the top of our Lane. Standing otuside the house, was a man very like what I remembered seeing. Only two of us ever admitted to seeing it although a number of people heard it, over the years - several who weren't told to expect anything ghostly. The other person who saw it never told me for 15 years then we went out for a meal and she blurted out that she'd seen a ghost in that house - turned out to be identical thing I saw, in the same room, the same week.

A Polish POW? Surely not in Britain then? There were no Polish POWs here as Poland was on our side. We certainly didn't summarily take Poles down to rivers and shoot them!

Could the language have been German or Ukranian?

'Displaced' Polish and other Eastern European people were housed in camps during and after the war but they were not prisoners.

there were a few Poles who fought the Nazis who ended up here. One lived on my housing estate when i was growing up and was much respected.

Yes we never shot them.

You know that's not true. Have you never seen the movie Poltergeist? :)

Also, Quatermass and the Pit.

Having participated in archaeological digs on sites that were later built upon, I have often wondered about possible haunting in the new builds.

One dig near me included neolithic, iron age, roman, medieval, post medieval, and victorian remains. Millennia of possible ghosts waiting for a house. There could well be a queue.

This is getting uncomfortably close to the only truly fortean experience I've ever had - but now is not yet the time.
The family home was specifically built for my father when he became Farm Manager. As an agricultural dwelling it was exempted from Green Belt planning and we had no neighbours and no indication of any previous building existing on the spot. Obviously I can't say what the site was like eg 800 years ago. The girl I encountered in my bedroom wasn't a ghost (within my preconceptions of what a ghost is - like dead for example), she just shouldn't or couldn't have possibly been there.
Ironically when we moved years later into a farm cottage (a house used as a Poor School (and orphanage ?) in the1750's, split into three), I had no strange feelings there at all.

Also, Quatermass and the Pit.

Having participated in archaeological digs on sites that were later built upon, I have often wondered about possible haunting in the new builds.

One dig near me included neolithic, iron age, roman, medieval, post medieval, and victorian remains. Millennia of possible ghosts waiting for a house. There could well be a queue.

My belief (based on a not altogether thorough belief in ghosts) is that a person would have no reason to haunt the place where they were buried. Unless you book your slot early, you have no idea where you are going to be laid to rest, especially in the days of pauper funerals and mass graves. Your spirit (if that exists, I feel that it does, but of course I don't know), also has no place in the grave - it lives on in the people you knew, the places you lived &c. Therefore I have no fear of a graveyard itself, more the idea that some occultist/vampire/bodysnatcher may be there :exor::reap:

This is getting uncomfortably close to the only truly fortean experience I've ever had - but now is not yet the time.
The family home was specifically built for my father when he became Farm Manager. As an agricultural dwelling it was exempted from Green Belt planning and we had no neighbours and no indication of any previous building existing on the spot. Obviously I can't say what the site was like eg 800 years ago. The girl I encountered in my bedroom wasn't a ghost (within my preconceptions of what a ghost is - like dead for example), she just shouldn't or couldn't have possibly been there.
Ironically when we moved years later into a farm cottage (a house used as a Poor School (and orphanage ?) in the1750's, split into three), I had no strange feelings there at all.

Split into three! :Givingup:

How you tease with your brief synopsis. When is the time?

My belief (based on a not altogether thorough belief in ghosts) is that a person would have no reason to haunt the place where they were buried. Unless you book your slot early, you have no idea where you are going to be laid to rest, especially in the days of pauper funerals and mass graves. Your spirit (if that exists, I feel that it does, but of course I don't know), also has no place in the grave - it lives on in the people you knew, the places you lived &c. Therefore I have no fear of a graveyard itself, more the idea that some occultist/vampire/bodysnatcher may be there :exor::reap:

Sorry, by "remains" I meant objects, no graves on that particular site. Just evidence of general habitation and infrastructure: A flint arrowhead, some bronze and iron metalwork from a chariot, oyster middens, a partially cobbled road, roman pottery etc. Not ruling out haunted objects though.

Sorry, by "remains" I meant objects, no graves on that particular site. Just evidence of general habitation and infrastructure: A flint arrowhead, some bronze and iron metalwork from a chariot, oyster middens, a partially cobbled road, roman pottery etc. Not ruling out haunted objects though.

Well, now, that puts an entirely different complexion on the matter.

a person would have no reason to haunt the place where they were buried.

The haunting traditionally occurs when the dead person's grave is disturbed and their rest interrupted.

So it's not the fact that they're dead and buried in a place that makes it haunted, it's whether the grave has been interfered with. They don't like it.

This doesn't worry the archaeologists. Or does it? We should ask.

As I've said, my village has been occupied since the retreat of the Ice Age (although nobody seems particularly interested in investigating its history, it's written about as having been a Neolithic occupation site, Saxon church etc). I live next door to the graveyard (which MUST have been disturbed on many occasions, as it's only got about 100 gravestones in it, and I'm willing to bet more than 100 people have been buried there in the time the church has been up). So, many disturbed graves, many old houses, much high emotion (if nowadays is anything to judge by). But we are a little community of around 250 people, completely untroubled by any walking revenants, poltergeists, 'grey ladies', or spooky goings on of any kind.

Anyone any ideas why? Because it's most UNFAIR.

The haunting traditionally occurs when the dead person's grave is disturbed and their rest interrupted.

So it's not the fact that they're dead and buried in a place that makes it haunted, it's whether the grave has been interfered with. They don't like it.

Exhumation has never bothered me and has never led to a haunting (sadly).

No idea about this situation, but we did take Polish PoWs (PWs to use the contemporary abbreviation) because some Polish men were forced into service with the German army.

I read only yesterday of a man whose Polish grandfather served with the German army, was captured and imprisoned in the UK and then volunteered to serve in the Polish Corps.

He ended up in the commandos and survived the war

...a total of 68,693 men were captured by the Allies in north-west Europe. The overwhelming majority of them, 53,630, enlisted into the Polish Army under the British Command, and served in the Polish Armed Forces in the West against the Germans until the end of World War II.

This is true

A few months back I posted on here about a flat I lived in, in which a young boy hung himself back in the 1940’s.

Well a few doors along, lived an old guy, who we called Jimbo.

Jimbo couldn’t get out much, had no family and no seemingly no friends, a few of the neighbours would take it in turns and do his grocery shopping for him.

One morning he was found dead, slumped in a chair – it turned out that he had been a Polish national who was captured by British forces while he was fighting for the Nazi’s.

He couldn’t return to Poland after being released from a POW camp, so lived a lonely secretive existence in London until he died of old age.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have felt sorry for him, but I kinda did / still do.

Phil Harding from Time Team on the difference between an archaeologist and a grave Robber: the former uses a trowel and the latter a spade. He didn't seem too worried about grave-bothering.

Speaking of such summons, whilst restoring this old house I've often wondered if what we'redoing pleases the spirits of days gone by. I'd be so pissed off if someone ripped off the tiles I picked for the en suite. I'd haunt them for revenge.

As I've said, my village has been occupied since the retreat of the Ice Age (although nobody seems particularly interested in investigating its history, it's written about as having been a Neolithic occupation site, Saxon church etc). I live next door to the graveyard (which MUST have been disturbed on many occasions, as it's only got about 100 gravestones in it, and I'm willing to bet more than 100 people have been buried there in the time the church has been up). So, many disturbed graves, many old houses, much high emotion (if nowadays is anything to judge by). But we are a little community of around 250 people, completely untroubled by any walking revenants, poltergeists, 'grey ladies', or spooky goings on of any kind.

Anyone any ideas why? Because it's most UNFAIR.

Perhaps previous generations thought the village was an undesirable area? If I died in Slough, for example, I doubt I'd be tempted to go back.

Speaking of such summons, whilst restoring this old house I've often wondered if what we'redoing pleases the spirits of days gone by. I'd be so pissed off if someone ripped off the tiles I picked for the en suite. I'd haunt them for revenge.
I'm angling towards doing a ghost invest night at Cromer Pier at the moment, I know most of the managers and other 'big dicks' in town to make this happen, I'm only interested now because a lot of restoration work is going on there at the moment which, as ghost investigation fans are aware of/led to believe, can stir up the spirits.

Other than that, I've never felt anything spooky in the allegedly haunted pier and nobody I know who's worked there ever has either. The most amusing thing that happened there that I'm aware of was when a pensioner shat his pants when a fake cannon went off on stage during a show. He made such a mess that after that happened, the bar staff started calling that seat "ground zero".

I'm angling towards doing a ghost invest night at Cromer Pier at the moment, I know most of the managers and other 'big dicks' in town to make this happen, I'm only interested now because a lot of restoration work is going on there at the moment which, as ghost investigation fans are aware of/led to believe, can stir up the spirits.

Other than that, I've never felt anything spooky in the allegedly haunted pier and nobody I know who's worked there ever has either. The most amusing thing that happened there that I'm aware of was when a pensioner shat his pants when a fake cannon went off on stage during a show. He made such a mess that after that happened, the bar staff started calling that seat "ground zero".

If I knew Cromer was full of "big dicks" I might have visited more often :fetish:Let us know how you get on!

I think I'd rather be haunted than sit in that seat :Givingup:

If I knew Cromer was full of "big dicks" I might have visited more often :fetish:Let us know how you get on!

I think I'd rather be haunted than sit in that seat :Givingup:
I'd venture that the Cromer Pier episode of TV's Most Haunted is the most boring episode they've done so far so I'm not holding my breath on getting any paranormal stuff. We're (Spit Spectral) going to do an over night invest at Cromer Museum as well when our team leader's in better health .. I've been told a ghost little girl has been seen there although the current staff haven't heard any contemporary ghostly reports ... the buildings inside the museum are recreated as authentic fishermen's cottages so it should be good and creepy.

I'd venture that the Cromer Pier episode of TV's Most Haunted is the most boring episode they've done so far so I'm not holding my breath on getting any paranormal stuff. We're (Spit Spectral) going to do an over night invest at Cromer Museum as well when our team leader's in better health .. I've been told a ghost little girl has been seen there although the current staff haven't heard any contemporary ghostly reports ... the buildings inside the museum are recreated as authentic fishermen's cottages so it should be good and creepy.

Didn't they have Antiques Roadshow up there recently? I bet there were a few old relics on there that are haunted by something... and I don't mean the experts.

Didn't they have Antiques Roadshow up there recently? I bet there were a few old relics on there that are haunted by something... and I don't mean the experts.
Yep they did .. and there's smugglers tunnels under the town but they've all been bricked up. I'd love to explore them.

Back