• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Love Pongs: The Role Of Smell & Smells In Human Sexual Attraction

A

Anonymous

Details here . I can't say if this includes the stench of old cigars and a pint of Mackeson.

But Dads are getting younger and younger. I did not believe
it when a pupil said of another "You can't tell him off, he's got a
kid who's one year old!". But it was later confirmed by another
teacher. The lad was fourteen years old! :eek:

So Dad probably smells of bubble-gum and rancid trainers. :cross eye

What if her old man's dead ?!

Phew-ee!!

Hmmmmm, could it be rather that the smell reminds us ladies of our childhood therefore we feel safe and more attracted to certain men? My father wore Old Spice aftershave and the smell of that still sends me crazy......

Along the same theme, childless friends of mine scoff when i say that I recognise my childrens smell, its warm and fleshy and very attractive. Other children smell cold and sour..is this just me?

With regard to the immune system theories, my ex-wife and I share the same relatively uncommon blood group - A Rhesus negative - which only about 15% of the population have. But it was lucky for us in that it avoided the problem of having 'blue babies', which can occur if the partners have different Rhesus factors.

A GP who had an interest in this said that such marriages are more common than would be expected if pairings were truly random, suggesting that some factor, perhaps smell, allows people to pick suitable mates.

intersting... wifes dad was Royal Engineers so woodbines, oil, Antigass treated uniforms, ....

as to babies smelling well Harry dose somtimes but it aint plesant!..Tho i notice i can know when he needs changeing out of a group of potentialy shitty children at baby group.

Well, it's been said that the reason why we can enjoy our own farts and not other people's is that we can recognise the smell of the unique chemical signatures in our lower intestine....

i dont enjoy it...its the black olives he likes so much.... weird child.

Dark Detective said:
Well, it's been said that the reason why we can enjoy our own farts and not other people's is that we can recognise the smell of the unique chemical signatures in our lower intestine....
Oh, rats! And I thought my farts were so superior to other people's!

Hmmm - my dad often smelled like sawdust. Does that mean I'm destined to marry a tree?

Nonny

nonny..i m not going to make the obviose joke about wood.... but im sure somone will.

Babies stink! I'm sorry, well, no I'm not. They pong.
I smell variously of Isis (my slightly odd aftershave) paint, polyurathane (sp) cement, warm leather and AVGAS. Except when I've been on exercise. Then I smell like a badger's arse. Or scampi and lemon flavour crisps (see 'Walkers' crisps' thread)
What obvious joke about wood?
Nonny's a girl? Did I already know that? I can't remember. Mr Daniels and Mr. Walker are having a party in my brain. I should have been at work tonight, but I put pens up my nose and my pants on my head so they let me stay at home. Wibble.

After exhaustive research (ie, I asked two people) we've decided this can't possibly be true.
What biological incentive is there to fancy someone who smells like your dad? It can't be evolutionarily sound to encourage inbreeding.
(I can understand there might be psychological reasons for going out with someone like your dad, but frankly that's your own problem. ;)

Apparently, it's not people who smell exactly like your dad, neither is it people who smell exactly unlike your dad, it's people whose smells are somewhere in the miggle. Wibble.

Dark Detective said:

I would agree, except for the fact that it's possible to return to the loo a few mins after a sit-down and run into odorous wall that turns out to be your own!

:D

PS Far from smell being a dominant factor, I believe psychology offers a better explanation - women are attracted to men who remind them of their fathers, and men to women who are remindful of their mothers. I'm thinking Jung rather than Freud (a man who really did need psychotherapy), and considering role-model influences in the construction of the Parent figure in an individual's psychological make-up.

I guess I have to agree. When I was a young man I copped off with a rather beautiful lady and nobody including myself could understand it as I was hardly a "good catch". Anyway to cut I long story short. I am sure I was so lucky because I bore more than a passing resemblance to her dad. I had a wonderfull time and my kudos in the barracks soared. I do not know if I smelled like her dad though.

I do believe that there was research featured in the New scientist Magazine a few years ago which said something similiar but differentiated between women who were pregnant and women who were not. Roughly it said women who were not pregnant were attracted to the smell of men with a dissimiliar genetic make up and that pregnant women were attracted to men / people of a similiar genetic makeup. The reasoning being a dissimiliar genetic makeup should produce offspring with a stronger immune system and less defects but that a pregnant woman should then keep herself within her family for protection. It was pointed out that a Woman on the Pill would be Pheromonally confused and go around attracted to men who were genetically similiar to her but would go off them once they were in a strong enough relationship and binned the contraceptive to try to produce kids! Probably the reason for so many divorces these days.

Blueswidow said:
Hmmmmm, could it be rather that the smell reminds us ladies of our childhood therefore we feel safe and more attracted to certain men? My father wore Old Spice aftershave and the smell of that still sends me crazy......

Along the same theme, childless friends of mine scoff when i say that I recognise my childrens smell, its warm and fleshy and very attractive. Other children smell cold and sour..is this just me?

My dad used to wear Old Spice too!!

He used to be on the committee of a social club, so he would come in with the smell of beer on his clothes (and beath too, of course). Which is probably why I find the 'beery' smell in a pub very comforting (my excuse, anyway!:) )

And yes, my twin sons smell different, but both smells are nice to me. And the smell of my husband . . .

In the last 3 cases it's nothing to do with deodorant, aftershave or whatever, it's just an 'aroma' tney have.

Carole

When I were a young geek, I too wore Old Spice - Yuk!

But having given up shaving nearly thirty year ago, I now smell just of me - except on the rare occasions when I wash with soap, that is!

NB: I strongly deny paternity of any of the ladies posting on this thread. :cool:

My dad is a forensic anthropologist and often smells like the morgue. Is that why I seem to be attracted to deadbeats?

But seroiusly...I'd like to point out that you cannot smell pheremones. The individual smells that people have are not the same thing as pheremones.

My old dad worked in the glucose refinary near Blackwall Tunnel (some of you Londoners will be familiar with the smell, the whole neighbourhood stinks of it) Well my husband smells a bit like it, and he's never been near a glucose refinary. A coincidence, or something more sinister?
Obviously I do actually like the smell.:blah:

What about us guys?

Do we fancy women who smell like our mothers?
:confused:

You find yourself the quietest corner of the furthest room of a
nearly deserted bookshop. Here - at last! - is a safe place to
emit what you instinctively know will be a killer fart, or maybe
it just happens as you bend to examine the lower shelves.

Suddenly the room begins to fill with browsers who find themselves
drawn inexorably to the vile miasma. Just long enough to catch it
at its peak then retreat, casting glances which say, "I bet he always
smells like that!".

Just me then. :(

I've noticed several times, over the years, that when I come to know a person of the fairer sex well enough (not necessarily intimately....), there comes a time of month when they smell.... different.

:confused:

It's official: Women fancy men who smell like their Dad

So, by that reckoning, I should be swamped with swooning women, as I wear old spice, and loads of older men wear old spice, don't they?

Maybe I should switch to Brut, or Hai Karate!!

James Whitehead said:
You find yourself the quietest corner of the furthest room of a
nearly deserted bookshop. Here - at last! - is a safe place to
emit what you instinctively know will be a killer fart, or maybe
it just happens as you bend to examine the lower shelves.

Suddenly the room begins to fill with browsers who find themselves
drawn inexorably to the vile miasma. Just long enough to catch it
at its peak then retreat, casting glances which say, "I bet he always
smells like that!".

Just me then. :(
Absolutely not, Jimbo! I too have experienced on many occasions the almost magnetic properties of the SBD. It's always in my own office that I let one go, thinking I'm cunningly alone, when almost certainly within the next 30 seconds without fail, the Vice President is bound to come in and see me for the first time in months. There's also a definite correlation between sulphur content and the importance of the person who arrives to experience it. I think an alarm must go off somewhere and a senior manager is dispatched to witness it.

Back