• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Roman Catholic Church

A rather click-baity piece in the Guardian.

It's about a French book, which purports to reveal the secrets of that murky cubicle:

"He said that once a couple in their 50s took turns confessing. The woman went first and revealed that she had been cheating on her husband with a male friend of the couple. Then the man confessed that he had also been cheating on his wife with a male friend of the couple. It turns out that they were both having it off with the same man."

So! Just that sort of stuff, then, is it?

I heard better, as a lad, when my ears were pricked up outside the confessional, with its lovely, glowing red-cross light aglow on the door, to show himself - or maybe just the priest - was at home!

The priest was very deaf and the old ones were careless about shutting the door.

So interesting they were, the ancient ones, that I would let several go ahead of me, pleading my own unreadiness for the Holy Sacrament, in order to hear the sins of those who thought they were! o_O

Last edited:
Discussing ET & Hal.

The theme of this year's Society of Catholic Scientists is, er, out of this world. Participants will land at a Hilton Hotel in Washington DC in June to ponder "Extraterrestrials, AI, and Minds Beyond the Human." From the Catholic News Agency:

"Half of the talks are going to be about extraterrestrial life, and there's going to be talks by some big experts on that subject," Dr. Stephen Barr, president of the Society of Catholic Scientists, told CNA.

Four of the invited speakers will discuss the possibility of extraterrestrial life from their respective fields of study – astrophysics, astrochemistry, evolutionary biology, and Catholic theology[…]

Barr said the SCS conference provides an open forum for reflections on the intersection between science and the realms of theology and philosophy. He said the goal of the conference is the same as the goal of the Society of Catholic Scientists more generally – to foster community among Catholic scientists and to be a witness to the world. He emphasized the importance of promoting a successful collaboration between science and faith.

"[It's] very important nowadays because there are many people out there who think that science and faith are incompatible," he said.
https://boingboing.net/2021/04/21/c...rrestrials-ai-and-minds-beyond-the-human.html

Back