• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Rosary, The Romany & The DIY

CuriousIdent said:
master_of_skeletons said:
That's really interesting. I'm a Coventry resident myself, and have lived in a number of places in Earlsdon myself (Albany Rd, Poplar Rd, Hawkins Rd) when I was a student here ( I just kind of stayed on). I'd be curious to know which street the house is on.

Sadly I'm not actually sure. Like I say family friend, who I only actually bump into 2 or 3 times a year. But our parents are still very much in touch. I'll try badgering mine when I next see them.

Did you encounter such a character while you were around that way?

Not personnally, no. But when I lived in Earlsdon I lived next door to a local "character" who sometimes did and said quite odd things, and it just sounded like the kind of thing she would do. I'm probably wrong in thinking it's her, but she dresses quite strangely at times and could be mistaken for a Gypsy.

Skeletonmaster said:
Not personnally, no. But when I lived in Earlsdon I lived next door to a local "character" who sometimes did and said quite odd things, and it just sounded like the kind of thing she would do. I'm probably wrong in thinking it's her, but she dresses quite strangely at times and could be mistaken for a Gypsy.

Yes, you're probably right. If this were the same individual, this could all be cobblers, I suppose...

I placed little Palm Sunday palm-crosses on the window-sills, many years ago when the children were young. And kept open Bibles in the rooms; discreetly placed. A few years earlier, when single, I would probably have laughed at such behaviour and regarded it as childish. But the house had given me a few frights and I was sole protector of the children. Our house didn't have much in the way of security; we had just ordinary locks on the door, most of which were the sliding glass type. And the window-closures were next to useless. So I derived reassurance from the crosses and Bibles and pushed logic to one side. The palm-crosses became very dried out and brittle, so I was always very careful of them when I was dusting. If they fell over, I always stood them upright again, against the windows.

One night, approx. half a dozen immediate neighbours were robbed, very systematically, even the father and son policemen who lived diagonally opposite us. Our house was not touched; not even an attempt to break in. There may have been a perfectly logical reason, as I was aware, but I had a primitive suspicion the palm-crosses had protected us.

Looking back, I suspect my mind had created a protective bubble around our home, using the palm-crosses as external focus. The lady who heals and protects her animals and friends .. and who also places faith in aged palm-crosses, etc. ... may unknowingly be doing the same thing. In other words, faith and belief may actually be the charge that empowers inanimate objects such as rosary beads, crosses of all kinds, potions, etc.

My mother always used to put a Palm Sunday cross behind the sun vizor in our cars. I did it myself for a while, but I don't think I've had one in my car for a long time...

Back