The San Clemente dolls

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
This creepy story appears to have been solved...

Unknown person leaves porcelain dolls on CA doorsteps

Many nerves are rattled in the San Clemente, CA on Thursday, as news spread that someone is leaving porcelain dolls on the front doorsteps of homes where little girls live.

“I would say [it's] creepy or very unusual,” Orange County, CA Sheriff's Office Lt. Jeff Hallock said.

Hallock says at least eight families in the area have had dolls left on their porches in the past few days.

“There’s an indication by some of the parents that the dolls resemble their daughters, and we’re talking about children here,” Hallock said.

Most are around the age of 10 and attend the same elementary school. The sheriff’s department is investigating the connection and whether this is a prank or a sexual predator.

No notes or threats were attached to the “gifts” left on porches.

The victims and their neighbors were too scared to speak to reporters, but several San Clemente moms and their daughters of similar ages were freaked out.

"You don't hear or see anything like that. Only in the movies," one mom said. "We're in a bubble here in south Orange County."

"I'd just be really scared, like I don't think I could sleep at night," a young girl said.

Also in a strange twist, another woman who did not want to be identified showed a set of wooden dolls she found on her front step two weeks ago. She has a five-year-old daughter.

When she heard about the porcelain dolls on Thursday, she decided it was time to file a police report.
http://www.wsls.com/story/26109744/unkn ... -doorsteps

California woman 'embarrassed' by fallout from doll giving

A California woman who spooked her small community by anonymously leaving porcelain dolls on the doorsteps of fellow churchgoers that eerily resembled their daughters told police she is embarrassed by the incidents, authorities said on Friday.

The dolls, some wearing fuzzy slippers or frilly gowns, turned up at more than a half-dozen homes in San Clemente last week, according to Orange County Sheriff's Lieutenant Jeff Hallock.

Interviews with families that received the dolls led authorities to the local woman, who then admitted her involvement, he said. She has not been publicly identified.

The woman, who attended church with most of the girls' families, said she did not mean to scare anyone, he said.

"She felt like some of the girls would enjoy the dolls," Hallock said.

She has daughters of her own who are too old to play with dolls, he said.

The woman said she wanted the dolls to resemble the children who received them and matched their hair and eye color, Hallock said.

After delivering a few of the dolls, the woman noticed on social media that some families were frightened, he said. She stopped leaving the dolls when some parents called for a criminal investigation.

"She felt really embarrassed," Hallock said.

No charges were filed, and the sheriff's department has closed its investigation, chalking it up to an act of good will gone wrong, Hallock said.
http://news.msn.com/offbeat/california- ... ng#tscptmf

...I assume the church-going mothers have forgiven her!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
This is such a pity... I suppose one view is it's littering (!) or possibly the harbinger of dire events, but when I was growing up the stories I read were full of adventures starting with a mysterious present.

OK, so I'd rather have had a rocking horse but it's still a shame that the first thought seems to be it's unpleasant. :(

Frideswide

Staff member
Mythopoeika said:
The dolls themselves are of a 'very expensive' quality. Quite a generous gift.
I thought that. Still hideous but very generous.

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
I kind of want to write her and tell her that it's a beautiful gesture, but it would have creeped me the hell out too.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I don't like dolls and this would creep me out bigtime.

She should have left teddies

Frideswide

Staff member
MercuryCrest said:
I kind of want to write her and tell her that it's a beautiful gesture, but it would have creeped me the hell out too.
I'm imagining that a few sackfulls of letters from forteans around the world would probably really creep her out :lol:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
An old lady that lives a couple of doors down from us keeps making small bunches of plastic flowers so I can wedge them between two boulders that my girlfriend insists are a feature at the front of our house. We come home and they've been changed. I used to buy her little boxes of chocolates to say thank you but she's ordered me not to anymore because she says she's on a diet now :D

This all started after I had a phone call from my girlfriend telling me another neighbour was in our front taking two small plastic flowers away. To cut a long story short, I'd found them on the pavement, put them between the rocks, didn't know they'd fallen off a funeral wreath that our nice lady had made :oops:

Now we're both stuck in a perpetual cycle of politeness .. the flowers cheer the place up so I've got to think of another way to say thanks now :lol: