• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sarcastic Fringehead

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Meet the Sarcastic Fringehead.

This wonderfully named fish is only of modest size - 30 cm or so, and sits, looking rather grumpy, in its burrow for hours on end.

sf1.jpg

Should a hapless small fish or crustacean come within striking distance though, it explodes forth, opening its mouth to a seemingly impossible size to swallow it:

sf2.jpg

The huge gaping maw also plays a part in establishing dominance between male Sarcastic Fringeheads as, apparently, females are turned on by their potential mates being all mouth (but no trousers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcastic_fringehead

Can we send an invitation to join the Forums? I think they'd fit right in! :twothumbs:

No, that was apparently inspired by crabs.

Given their name, rather than squaring up to each other and comparing mouth size, shouldn't they simply engage in sarky fishy dialogue like "Oh wow! That is suuuch a big mouth you've got. It makes a gormless blue whale look like a goldfish sucking a lemon. I am just sooooo scared of you that my fins are all a quiver. I wish I had a mouth thaaat big" (and then yawns cavernously).

Back