The Sasquatch Thread

Reaction score

Very interesting points about primates. In particuular the mental reflexes and short term memory in apes. All relevant to sasquatch.

That's actually a very interesting channel, I'm slowly working my way through them. What's your take on the first video discussed here? I'd not seen it before. Obvious answer would be that it's a bear, but the conical upright head?

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It is so blurry as to be useless as evidence, why go to all the trouble off putting out cameras and taking hours to view the footage when the picture quality is so bad?

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It is so blurry as to be useless as evidence, why go to all the trouble off putting out cameras and taking hours to view the footage when the picture quality is so bad?
Because there's no such thing as a Sasquatch. Which is a big draw back when trying to film them.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Mysterious sounds in the Canadian wilderness
Sasquatch or Wendigo? Mysterious howls in Canadian wilderness spark confusion
Hunters and government biologists searching for explanations after unusual sounds recorded in forests of north-western Ontario
Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Fri 15 Nov 2019 19.00 GMTLast modified on Fri 15 Nov 2019 21.22 GMT
‘It sounded kind of heavy,’ Gino Meekis said of the noises. Some speculate the sounds could come from a grizzly bear while others think it could be a large wolf. Photograph: Don Johnston/Getty Images/All Canada Photos

A series of howls and shrieks recorded in the Canadian wilderness have left a hunter and government biologists searching for explanations.
Gino Meekis was out hunting grouse with his wife and grandson in the forests of north-western Ontario – more than 50km from the closest town – when they heard a series of eerie noises in the distance.
etc
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/canada-forest-howls-shrieks-video

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
This sent chills up and down my spine. It also sounded familiar. This is "the moors" scene in American Werewolf in London (one of my favourite movies). What do you think?

I played it back again and thought the sound might be mechanical - perhaps some sort of heavy lifting equipment used in the lumber trade. The sound could be distorted over distance and by echoes etc.
On the other hand, it could be something big, hairy and hungry.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
There is a REALLY REALLY big difference between a Sasquatch and a Wendigo. When these beings become all jumbled up and the origins forgotten, it shows how these questions of strange experiences have become unmoored from any reasonable explanations.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
But if it is a cow, why hasnt anyone heard it before?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a REALLY REALLY big difference between a Sasquatch and a Wendigo. When these beings become all jumbled up and the origins forgotten, it shows how these questions of strange experiences have become unmoored from any reasonable explanations.
Isn't there some confusion between the elemental "Wendigo", and "Windigo" which is another tribal name for Sasquatch?

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I also played this to the wife and she immediately said it sounded mechanical. She thought maybe wood going though one of those big circular saws.
I’m not totally convinced by that. When I listen to it as an animal it’s not quite right and when I listen to it as something mechanical it’s not quite right.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I also played this to the wife and she immediately said it sounded mechanical. She thought maybe wood going though one of those big circular saws.
I’m not totally convinced by that. When I listen to it as an animal it’s not quite right and when I listen to it as something mechanical it’s not quite right.
It is surprisingly regular, yes.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of the noise the bin lorries make when they are around my way, that sort screechy, roaring mechanical sound of some piece of heavy equipment that's seen better days. Sounds like mating season in Jurassic Park round my way sometimes.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
....She thought maybe wood going though one of those big circular saws....When I listen to it as an animal it’s not quite right and when I listen to it as something mechanical it’s not quite right.
A saw horse?

It is very regular, with very little variation in tone or duration.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
No, not a saw horse, that’s the framework for supporting the wood that needs sawing.
Something like this
43B66107-374F-474D-BEF2-4680ABE8449E.jpeg

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
No, not a saw horse, that’s the framework for supporting the wood that needs sawing.
Something like this
Yes. I knew that.

It's an (admittedly) weak pun on the animal / machine dichotomy with which you had presented us previously.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Sorry, that one went straight over my head

poozler

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Isn't there some confusion between the elemental "Wendigo", and "Windigo" which is another tribal name for Sasquatch?
Wendigo and Windigo are just spelling variations of the same name, which is a mythological creature in Algonquian culture. (There is also Wendigo psychosis, one manifestation of which was that poor man on a bus in western Canada a few years ago who was killed and chewed on by a First Nations man who had some mental problems.) A sasquatch (aka Bigfoot) is, supposedly, an actual animal, same sort of thing as a yeti.

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wendigo and Windigo are just spelling variations of the same name, which is a mythological creature in Algonquian culture. (There is also Wendigo psychosis, one manifestation of which was that poor man on a bus in western Canada a few years ago who was killed and chewed on by a First Nations man who had some mental problems.) A sasquatch (aka Bigfoot) is, supposedly, an actual animal, same sort of thing as a yeti.
The murderer Vince Li was Chinese Canadian, not First Nations.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On a slightly more humorous Sasquatch note...

ohio.png.jpg

'Bigfoot' Enlisted to Sell Home in Ohio
A real estate agent in Ohio came up with a rather clever way of ensuring that her latest listing captured the attention of prospective home buyers by featuring Bigfoot in some of the photos showcasing the property. The cryptozoological concept was reportedly the brainchild of realtor Shauna Bailey, who initially intended to use a Sasquatch costume which she purchased last month to spice up images of an otherwise unremarkable vacant piece of land that she was selling.
Source: https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/bigfoot-enlisted-to-sell-home-in-ohio

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/canada-forest-howls-shrieks-video

A series of howls and shrieks recorded in the Canadian wilderness have left a hunter and government biologists searching for explanations.
Gino Meekis was out hunting grouse with his wife and grandson in the forests of north-western Ontario – more than 50km from the closest town – when they heard a series of eerie noises in the distance.
“When it let out the first scream, I thought it was a moose, but my mind changed when it screamed again and again,” Meekis told Vice.