• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Thoughts prompted, of a section of Jonathan Raban’s book Passage to Juneau (published 1999), recounting a small-boat voyage made by the author through the island-strewn coastal waters between Seattle, and Juneau (Alaska). Raban tells of, at one stage of his journey, his passing by and in fact calling at a small island (only “a very few miles by a very few miles”) from which have come over the decades, regular sasquatch / bigfoot reports. I haven’t got the book to hand, and don’t remember the name of the island; but I’m sure it is not Cormorant Island, as in the recent report referenced here. I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that Raban’s island is in British Columbia waters, somewhere between the northern tip of Vancouver Island, and the Alaska border.

Further to this recent post of mine: I've managed to get hold of the book Passage to Juneau by Jonathan Raban. The island mentioned therein as a reputed sasquatch location is Hurst Island -- in fact tiny, about a square mile in size: perhaps fifty miles further north-west than Cormorant Island, and situated off the very northern extremity of Vancouver Island, more or less where open sea is met.

Raban quotes from the "mariners' guide-book", Cruising Beyond Desolation Sound by John Chappell: "One is advised against hiking to the east side of the island. Former residents have sighted a 'hairy man', and strong evidence points to the existence of a Sasquatch family on the island, perhaps centred on [names of geographical features]. Indian residents of nearby Balaklava Island have had similar experiences, and now refuse to go ashore at either place" [i.e. the named spots on Hurst Island].

As mentioned in my previous post, Raban enjoyed the hospitality of holiday-home owners on Hurst Island; but sasquatches did not feature in his conversation with them. He gives the matter only a couple of pages in the book -- it's a thing in which he takes only a glancing interest. He would seem to have an open mind regarding the sasquatch mystery, though tending rather to think of it in terms of misidentification / Native American folklore.

Assuming the presence of the creatures on Hurst Island: one can envisage them being there often, but not necessarily permanently -- maybe coming and going by swimming to / from other bodies of land; or if outside of "purely-flesh-and-blood" realms, all manner of things could be the case. I continue to find it a little odd that -- with this small and restricted area having such seemingly good, and relatively widely transmitted, credentials as a sasquatch "hotspot" -- so far as anyone seems to have heard, no enthusiast / researcher re the Bigfoot / sasquatch scene has gone to Hurst Island in the hope, at any rate, of an encounter.

Right then. How about setting up a team and a kickstarter project?

I think we're probably enough on this board to fund a small expedition to a relatively accessible island just off the coast of Canada. I would volunteer for the trip no problems.

Sadly, I can't afford to offer to accompany you -- but I'd chip in with what cash I could.

Bigfoot believers gather at New York retreat, swap stories

CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (AP) — Bigfoot believers gathered Saturday in western New York, convinced the legendary Sasquatch has left its footprints all over the region.

About 100 people sported buttons saying "I believe" and swapped stories at the fourth annual Chautauqua Lake Bigfoot Expo.

Organizer Peter Wiemer knows it may not be the first topic that comes to mind in the rural county, best known for the Chautauqua Institution, a summer retreat devoted to scholarly and artistic pursuits.

"You say Bigfoot in a room full of people and watch everyone stop and look to see who's talking," he said with a laugh.

And while he may have started the event as a way to draw people to the tourist-dependent region and his family's rental cottages, he said he has since met dozens of people who are certain they've seen one of the ape-like creatures in the area, far from the oft-cited Pacific Northwest.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Bigfoot-believers-gather-at-annual-retreat-6588355.php

The perfect stocking-filler for Xmas!

Sixteen hundred hours, or nine and a half weeks, or three and a half months: this is how long it took the Robotics Unit at ISU to perform the 3-D printing of a full-scale model of a Sasquatch, more popularly known as Bigfoot.

3D-printer-skeleton.jpg

“All we’re doing is creating a hypothetical facsimile of what it might look like to convey a notion of the dimensions,” Meldrum said. “First and foremost, it turns out there were other things that we can start to work with on that scale. Instead of starting from scratch we took an existing hominid skeleton, the most complete being a Neanderthal.”

The printing started after Dr. Meldrum agreed to make an appearance on the History Channel, talking about Bigfoot. While studying the Patterson-Gimlin film, researchers took the remains they were permitted to use by the archaeological corporation, Bone Clones, which collects natural history artifacts, and proportioned them to the exact specifications a Sasquatch ought to be.

“They gave us permission to do a 3-D scan on a Neanderthal skeleton they found,” Meldrum said. “We compared that to the Patterson-Gimlin film. We had to widen the shoulders and increase the thickness in the torso. The hips are as wide as the shoulders; the body was built like a tank.”

http://isubengal.com/sixteen-hundred-hours-of-sasquatch-skeleton/

Not sure where 'bicycle' comes into it.
Are they casting aspersions at ol' Bigfoot?

Look.. There is NO bigfoot. I mean i love david paulides and i wish there were, but theres NOT. No bones, no bigfoot shite, no nothing. It doesnt exist.

Oh but var1ant, just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean people don't see it ;)
And they definitely want to see it. And to believe in it. For me the question is why.

It's one of those uncategorisable fortean things, not human, not animal. And so there's similar things talked about across the world.

apparently they're quite smelly. so perhaps if no bigfoot shite it's stepped in something else.

Look.. There is NO bigfoot. I mean i love david paulides and i wish there were, but theres NOT. No bones, no bigfoot shite, no nothing. It doesnt exist.

Thanks Var1ant for that revolutionary first post on the site. Are there any other Fortean subjects you'd care to share your opinions on?

I wouldn't be that certain. It's OK to come to this site and say something definitly does not exist, but that's not what this site is for. What's typical of the fortean, is that it can't be proven either way.

I find it surprising when someone goes out of their way to join a forum to make a statement ruling something out. Much the same as when regular posters contribute to a thread to say how little it interests them. But, I do agree with Var1ant, there is no bigfoot.

Perhaps it can't be proved absolutely that bigfoot doesn't exist, but I think it's undeniable that it has proven to be an unsupportable claim to say that it does.

Unless, you take a supernatural explanation as being on the table. Which I don't, but others do. And that is less clear cut, because it leaves the door open to all sorts of possibilities. So I can't argue against it. But, I see a cultural explanation as being the obvious answer.

But in terms of a flesh and blood unknown creature, then I think it's impossible to support the idea.

Just to add though, I don't feel that firmly disbelieving in something, necessarily makes it uninteresting, as Eponastill says. There is still a lot to find engaging in the subject.

Oh but var1ant, just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean people don't see it ;)
And they definitely want to see it. And to believe in it. For me the question is why.

It's one of those uncategorisable fortean things, not human, not animal. And so there's similar things talked about across the world.

apparently they're quite smelly. so perhaps if no bigfoot shite it's stepped in something else.

Lol. I hear ya. But the thing is, it kills me how people can be this stupid. Its like flat earthers. Really? U think all these years and no bigfoot has been shot or run over? Really? No bigfoot sh*t or bones or anything? U have got to be kidding me. I mean i love coAst to coast and david paulides has some bad as* stories about missing persons and shat not but theres no bigfoot. Ever. Stop.

I actually think the most interesting david paulides story was the little girl who went missing for a few days and said "doggy ate my hat" and said a dogman type creature took her for two days. The hunters who found her said a large hairy creature jumped in the river and fled when they found her. Crazy

I actually think the most interesting david paulides story was the little girl who went missing for a few days and said "doggy ate my hat" and said a dogman type creature took her for two days. The hunters who found her said a large hairy creature jumped in the river and fled when they found her. Crazy

And i have actually seen a werewolf. So im def a fortean. But no bigfeet. Lol.

I listened to one of those coast to coast programmes the other day. It gave me the nice thrilling sensation of creepy ghost stories, the one I've been a bit addicted to since a child. I suppose the element of plausibility is part of DP's success. Though some of the guff I was reading the other day... ('most people disappear in the mountains. Most bigfoot sightings are in the mountains' - look, correlation isn't causality is it. You might as well blame disappearances on pine cones. Plus some really crazy stuff like 'something is seemingly controlling the weather in association with the disappearances' - where do you even start with such a claim).

I like your dogman creature - not half man half ape, but half man half dog. Even better really as dogs are our longtime companions and you'd think you could trust them eh. But Britain and Ireland are full of Black Dog stories, and they're often naughty hellhound types with glowing eyes. Sometimes they're friendly though. I still can't shake some tv programme I saw as a kid that had Anubis in it. Dog headed men. There's a thread somewhere on here about those.

So yes, did those hunters both see something real? A real animal, misperceived? or were they hallucinating? or they did see something but it was 'supernatural'? or what? I think the not knowing, the thinking about the options, is the thing I like most at the moment.

Did you watch the Mark Evans programmes? The need to explain everything neatly away as DNA of Known Animals, I found almost desperate really. (Although no, I'm not expecting any hard evidence of anything else particularly. I just think it's too narrow an explanation to seek)

edit - a werewolf? you can't just come out and say that now :) But you might have to tell it in an 'It happened to me' thread of its own.

Last edited:
Well i like them too. The george knapp hosted ones especially with dave paulides. Yeah i dont like the "people disappear in the mtns- look bigfeet are in the mtns" - behind the back finger pointing. But alot of those missing people end up found miles away, the dogs cant find a scent, all kinds of weird stuff. So who knows.

Paulides says it was in michigan when the little girl disappeared, years ago. Apparently the dogman was nice to her, fed her, etc. The hunters said what they saw.

As far as my werewolf sighting, i know what i saw. I dont brag about it or try to make money. It is what it is. It was in a very rural place and i lived way out in the country by myself. But it fucking unnerved me enough that i moved out shortly after seeing it. Real talk:)

And i am a total skeptic/cynic, not prone to belief in bullshit.

Yeah well, I got this cat, see...an' I got this box, bur it's in this box, see...so I don't have a cat no more...all day long the bloody neighbours are yellin' out about my bloody cat shitting in their aspidastra - but I tell 'em, see...

I like your dogman creature - not half man half ape, but half man half dog.. I still can't shake some tv programme I saw as a kid that had Anubis in it. Dog headed men. There's a thread somewhere on here about those.
That programme you recall wasn't Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars, was it? I remember being scared by the sudden appearance of a dog-headed figure in the Tardis. Sorry, veering off topic...

Back