• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

As I said it was difficult to get rid of whatever it was and I always avoided that woman after that.

I am not surprised!
No, I wasn't using the Ouija either; I was in the same building, and that was it. My mother told me she had experienced the same thing once when walking quietly round a churchyard; it sent her fleeing back to where she'd parked the car.

Nothing at all odd about him. But I had the strong impression that he was trying to "break into" my mind. In fact the sight of him began to cause me to feel an intense revulsion, and I remember making quite a face at him, and he just stood in front of me, staring, with no expression.

Pinlight Duke, that sounds awful. I wonder if any-one else has seen people, or interacted with people that gave them powerful feelings of revulsion, or a sense of danger, and not because of outward appearances.

I think I'd rather believe in it is my mind than actual nasties from 'outside' attacking me.

I used to help at canteen when the children were young. One of the women there brought her sister in law to help and I couldn't be anywhere near her. I had to leave as I felt quite ill anytime I came in contact with her.
Later on I found she had been in jail for knifing someone.

he could have been staring at you due to your facial expression if you were having "a moment" on the ttc ... after all you then go on to state you consciously made a face at him ... puts me in mind of some of the posts on the petit mal thread i think

Later on I found she had been in jail for knifing someone.

I wonder if this is similar to the 'sense' that many people seem to experience when (for instance) in remote areas: that some-thing's wrong, and they're being followed or watched - and sometimes they are, maybe by big cats, there's a bear around - or people that seem dodgy. (Lots of his kind of stuff on The Survivalist forum and places like that)

It does seemed to be allied to self-preservation.

HenryFort said:
he could have been staring at you due to your facial expression if you were having "a moment" on the ttc ... after all you then go on to state you consciously made a face at him ... puts me in mind of some of the posts on the petit mal thread i think

You're familiar with TO then!

Actually I was used to people staring at me in public as I used to be a pretty hardcore goth at the time and dressed in fairly extreme and dramatic fashion. That night I would have been all dressed up as well, full makeup and the whole bit, on my way to the club. The staring wasn't the thing that made me feel strange about him, and he likely wasn't the only one staring. But something about that guy in particular gave me the absolute heebie-jeebies. No doubt though, I was also freaking out a number of the other passengers on the train just by dint of looking a bit like a vampire or a satanist or whatever. 8)

A few Fortean experiences but only two were frightening, hard to say which was more so, so here are both!

About twenty years ago I worked in an old Library in South London. Now totally inadequate for current use - try getting decent IT facilities into a building that was completed before we had achieved powered flight.

One late winter afternoon so kind local had lobbed a rock through a window; so at closing time I sent everyone home and remained to await the arrival of the emergency services team who would board the thing up. No one could get in without further, noisy damage but it was not secure to leave it overnight. The staff had locked everything which they did very thoroughly after once finding a local "yoof" had crammed himself into the book lift one evening in hope of ransacking the place after we'd left! My office was upstairs in a T shaped corridor with other rooms off, all doors to these rooms were locked. The only thing open was the corridor to the stairs and a downstairs corridor leading to the staff access where the glazier had been told to ring the bell for access.

I set about doing some work on my PC, after about 15 minutes one of the doors in the corridor slammed. I couldn't say which one , but the noise was very distinctive. I assumed that the cleaner had decided to come in in the evening, as she sometimes did, rather than early in the morning. Not wanting to alarm her, as she wouldn't expect me to be there I called out to her - no answer. I went out into the corridor, all the doors were shut so I checked them, all still locked. It was while checking them that I got really spooked I couldn't stop looking over my shoulder. In the end I packed my stuff up and decided to move downstairs when the glazier arrived.

I had been on my own in plenty of our building that had stories attached to them, but never had that feeling of fear. I mentioned it to the previous manager of the building a while later (one of the most rational skeptics I know) To my surprise he said - Oh yes, there's something very nasty in that corridor and on the equivalent space on the ground floor.

On another occasion, driving home I took a detour as the main roads were snarled up. The detour while within the M25 goes down some narrow, quite rural lanes which come down off the North Downs toward North Kent where I live. It was Autumn, about 7.30 p.m. and dark. In the trees by the side of the road I saw what I originally took to be a Barn Owl flying along.

I stopped the car to get a closer look (No cars anywhere around). It didn't look right, too geometric, more like two white sticks scissoring through the trees. I wondered whether it might be torchlight illuminating the branches, but if so it managed only to illuminate two at a time, rather odd in a densely wooded area.

I decided to get out for a better look and checked the road again, about 50 yards in front of me there was a person sized patch of mist moving toward me up the hill. Now the night was turning misty, but this was a very local and isolated patch. The "Barn Owl" had vanished when I looked back. I had got my seat belt off and the door open when something told me to go, and the curiosity turned to something more like panic. I went. No choice but to drive through the mist which I did.

Probably no more than mist and a Barn Owl so I can't explain the panic. Still regret not having stayed for a better look. :oops:

Fanari_Lloyd said:
Oh yes, there's something very nasty in that corridor and on the equivalent space on the ground floor.

Just the kind of thing you want to hear...:(
something quite compelling about nastiness with a very defined locus

something quite compelling about nastiness with a very defined locus

Yes, it's worse than 'this whole place is supposed to be haunted'. For some reason it makes it worse. (And probably it is a room or corridor people have to use).

I used to dream of a porch in a church/cathedral which had a terrifying atmosphere. I think I read of it in an old book of hauntings. (Maybe it was Canterbury) I dreamed it several times and always had to go through it. Incredible sense of terror, yet only a feeling, nothing visual.

The first place I worked the ladies toilets (staff - it was a large shop) were supposed to be haunted - just the ladies loos! There were tales of women fainting and feeling 'threatened'. They were very gloomy, that kind of 'brown-out' lighting, and only one small opaque glass window high up. I hated going in there, and they always seemed to be empty, but it was either that or go to the ground floor toilets which took more time. I can't say I ever experienced anything, but I was only 16 and primed by the stories to be scared, so I always rushed, and felt as if some-one were just 'waiting' there. It was not an old building (60's) and unremarkable.

Long time listener, first time caller. Long post, but there’s a lot to tell.

This is something that happened to me some fifteen years ago when I was working in an office in Birmingham, just on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter ; no real atmosphere to the place, just a modern, three story office that occupied one corner of a unit of four around a central courtyard/driveway.

One warm summer evening a few of us went into the courtyard for a smoke. We heard noises from a neighbouring office which sounded like people running up and down the stairs; we put it down to the cleaners, who sometimes brought their kids along. It was getting dark by this time, but the lights in the office remained off, and we went over to see if we could see in through the window – could it be burglars? At this point the noises got louder; they could only have been heading down the final flight towards the office door – staring in through the lower windows as we were, we were perplexed by the fact that there was nobody in sight, and yet it sounded as if someone was thundering down the stairs.

As the summer wore on this happened a few times, and every time, the office was empty. The weirdness continued. About a month later a colleague swore up and down that he had seen a ‘figure’ on the ground floor. It was early evening as he ducked in briefly to drop in a post-bag, and he had been shocked to see a figure in a raincoat standing just inside the front windows. It had only been a silhouette, but he was convinced that the figure had ended at the knees; all he could see was the glow of streetlights where its lower legs should have been. We were dismissive of this; he was a known fantasist and certainly, the tale grew with every telling.

The incidents continued: an office chair spinning around, seemingly of its own volition in an office that had just been unlocked and certainly unoccupied, phantom paper shuffling sounds, answerphones rewinding and erasing their contents in unison for no apparent reason and the unexplained disappearance and reappearance of small objects.

On one particular night in late October my line manager and I had been detained in the office by one of our directors. She had been determined to find something wrong so all the paperwork was strewn over desks to be forensically examined, and I was about to lose the plot; there was nothing to find. I knew I had to leave before I snapped, so, making an excuse about collecting my wife from work, I put my coat on and grabbed my bag. As I left, I was asked to send a fax to the London office. Fax in hand I stomped, cursing, down the stairs; the fax machine was on the bottom floor. I had previously worked on this floor and loved it; I would always look at my old desk there in the corner with some nostalgia.

As I opened the door I was overcome by an intense feeling of cold and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. I had been glaring at the floor, and I found the last thing I wanted to do was look up. I flailed for the light switch, found it, still didn’t look up and started toward the fax machine as a voice in my head repeated “Don’t look at your desk, don’t look at your desk,” over and over again (I’d learned to listen to this voice – but that’s another story). I didn’t. The effort it took to put the fax in the machine and hit ‘send’ was beyond belief, and I think it was at about this time that I realised I was actually terrified – I was covered in goosebumps, I had broken into a cold sweat and I was gasping for air. I have never left the office so quickly; I got home without any memory of the journey. I told nobody, not even my wife. At home, with a hot coffee and my feet up, it just seemed silly.

Two weeks to the day, on another late shift (less fraught this time), just getting on for 7pm, I sent two of my staff down to the bottom floor with the recycling. I heard them laughing and joking all the way downstairs, then silence, then the sound of their feet absolutely hammering back up to the second floor. They came in in silence, sat down in silence, and began to work. Both were pale and sweating, and a little twitchy. I questioned them, and they had both experienced exactly the same thing that I did. Remember, I had told nobody – there can’t have been any expectations there. We agreed we would never speak of it again.

"Don't look at your desk..." Brr. Spooky. :shock:
Welcome, Foxton_Spaume.

Foxton_Spaume, welcome and thank-you for that.
You seem not to have had any kind of bad feeling when you were on the ground floor, at that desk? you said you looked at it with nostalgia.

Had there been companies in the building prior, or anything on the land it was built on, would you know?

(I worked in a place which seems a bit similar. I heard footsteps walking past me in a place no-one was except me, but never saw anything. (I can't say I was ever really frightened, either)
Other people heard footsteps running up the stairs to the second floor and doors were slammed open, and the boss said he twice saw a dark haired woman's face with a cameo around her neck staring at him from out of the mirror in the toilets. Your post reminded me a bit of that).

I would really like to hear about the inner voice that you had learned to listen to.

Foxton_Spaume said:
They came in in silence, sat down in silence, and began to work. Both were pale and sweating, and a little twitchy. I questioned them, and they had both experienced exactly the same thing that I did. Remember, I had told nobody – there can’t have been any expectations there. We agreed we would never speak of it again.

Fascinating.

However, the room needs to be checked for physical problems: gas and/or wiring could be at fault. You were terrified and broke out in a cold sweat and your subordinates were pale and sweating you said. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has read your message would like you to be safe: the occult can scare you, but rarely does any physical harm; the everyday world contains hazards that can kill you.

Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

I had been in that office for about six years by that time, and had never noticed anything untoward. Indeed, the vast majority of my experiences there were happy and carefree; as a workforce we were mainly ex-students from local universities who had taken part-time work there in an attempt to supplement our student loans etc. Most of us stayed on beyond graduation, but we never quite got to the point where the whole thing became serious - we were treated as casual staff (even when in quite senior positions) so that's how we behaved.

SHAYBARSABE: the building was quite safe - properly certified and everything - as I say, a fairly new build and in very good repair.

FANARI: As far as I'm aware, the company I worked for were the second tenant in our suite of offices. We would pass the time with people from the other three companies - nothing was ever mentioned in terms of the unit having a 'history', so to speak.

I walked onto the ground floor the day after my 'encounter' and, in spite of some trepidation, found nothing amiss. Still didn't like going down there during the evening shifts though. The only thing that has stayed with me is a memory of that feeling of terror; I've never experienced anything quite so intense, not even while watching through my wing-mirror as a lorry's wheel nuts ground their way along the length of my car.

All of these incidents occurred between July and late October of the same year.
Whilst we kept our experiences to ourselves (after my initial reaction, I had become curious to see if anyone else would be affected - I didn't want to create any suggestions that might influence others), the others were public knowledge - one of our more senior colleagues started talking about how 'wrong' the place was, and made some less than veiled suggestions that it had been built on a pauper's graveyard - unconsecrated ground and all that. Seemed a bit too 'Poltergeist' for me, so I did some digging. What I found was that the only previous use recorded for the site that I could discover had been as an air-raid shelter for a sponge factory around the corner, certainly no pauper's graves. What still perplexes me, and I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions from this, is that on October 24 1940 the shelter had taken a direct hit resulting in the death of 25 people.

What still perplexes me, and I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions from this, is that on October 24 1940 the shelter had taken a direct hit resulting in the death of 25 people.

Well, there would probably be a feeling of terror (I don't know, as people going to air-raid shelters got to be common, but surely they were always afraid, not blase about it?

People often speculate about places being built on graveyards if there is something 'not right' about it. (I am not sure why graveyards crop up, as I find them peaceful places. I think a place associated with violent death would be more likely to 'absorb' fear).

But there are other reasons just as likely for oppressive atmospheres, and I think an air-raid shelter where people died would definitely be one of them.

Very spooky Foxton! You know I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time on your side of the puddle, what with all of the history packed into every square foot, er meter! Very interesting, thanks.

One of the scariest experiences I've had occurred when trying to find King John's Castle in Odiham, UK. A friend and I were struggling as it was late at night, and we happened upon a car park fashioned from yellow stone - I'm not sure on the actual term, but the road is built from small clumps of rock and it all has a yellow tint to it.

Anyway, we were looking for a place to park and this particular area was completely desolate. We stopped, and a sudden sense of horror descended upon us both. We couldn't see anything around us, as there were no lights and it was pitch black, but we both had the unnerving fear that something bad would happen if we got out of the car. Understandably, we turned round and headed for somewhere else.

When we did find a spot to park, I had the horrible sensation of being watched as we journeyed down the nearby canal. It felt like something was behind us, and I couldn't bear to look. I can't remember if I asked my friend if he thought the same thing, but he is always prone to freaking out other things easier than I do.

Strangely, being at the castle ruins was the most serene part of the night.

The Pink Lady of The Rocks

If you've been to Sydney, you would know an area called The Rocks, the site of the earliest European settlement. In the backstreets of this area are some excavated houses, which are probably the tiniest, most narrow things you'd see.
A few centuries ago, the area was the haunt of a gang called The Rocks Push, push being an informal name for a gang anywhere at the time. They killed men and children, but never women, and it was in front of tiny houses that they assaulted both a sailor and then a boy who saw them.
It turned out they killed both a son and a father, and the houses are said to be haunted by 'the pink lady', the wife and mother of the victims.

A couple of strange things have happened to me there. I took some photographs on my phone of the area, and as I'm walking away, I felt a push. I was wearing a backpack and I distinctly felt it push against my back. Evidently, she didn't like taking photographs of her house.
I didn't learn my lesson and too another walk down to The Rocks and her house one day. Didn't take any pictures, just walked around. It was hot, and I was wiping my face with my handkerchief. About ten minutes after I left her house, I was still wiping my face, and I put my handkerchief back in my pocket to visit a museum in The Rocks.
I come out of said museum, and the handkerchief is gone. Vanished. I had it in my hand, I clearly put it in my back pocket (it was crumpled and wet, so I remember it), and now gone.
I walked back out to the main street, a bit confused. Feeling a bit miffed, I loudly apologised to the ghost! I apologised for my past actions and turned around.
The handkerchief was on the ground behind me. I knew for certain it didn't blow there. I went and picked it up. It was flat on the ground, not crumpled as it would have been if it was dumped on the ground-it had seemingly been folded and deliberately placed there, by someone who was poor, but nonetheless gentle enough to accept an apology. There was another thing about it. It was completely dry. Last I saw it, it had been soaked with perspiration.

Not exactly scary but certainly freaky and to this day, unexplained....

I was about 12 and used to help out at a farm nearby. The farmer, now sadly deceased, and myself were walking up the bank having just returned the cows to their field after milking. It was warm and about 6pm in the evening. The track we were on had a moderate incline and a bend at the top.
As we rounded the bend there was something hovering in front of us. Imagine a sphere of 'heat haze' but perfectly formed, the objects around it were not distorted at all. It was only there for a few seconds at which point it disappeared with a 'woosh' of air... Keith said 'WTF was that?' and both of us were left standing there wondering if we'd actually seen anything at all. It seemed to me that we had disturbed 'it' and it couldn't get away fast enough.

I've been through all the scenario's and I can not explain it to this day almost 40 years later...

Scariest Fortean thing that ever happened to me was arguing with Fortean smokers.

Scariest Fortean thing that ever happened to me was arguing with Fortean smokers.

MEOW!!! as we speak, i'm organizing my wing of the Smokers (Heavy) Institute of Tobacco Smokers (SHITS for short) to come and camp on your lawn. :lol:

Stu73 said:

MEOW!!! as we speak, i'm organizing my wing of the Smokers (Heavy) Institute of Tobacco Smokers (SHITS for short) to come and camp on your lawn. :lol:

Yes, you would be the camp types.

Bet you use a cigarette-holder.

Edited because i threw my toys out of the pram. If anyone saw it i appologise unreservedly, it was uncalled for.

Stu73 said:
Edited because i threw my toys out of the pram. If anyone saw it i appologise unreservedly, it was uncalled for.

I missed it!

Just in case anyone thought my own comment above was homophobic I'd like to make it clear that I'm Bi.

My only fear is that lot will cook quiches on my lawn.

Quiche? Fookin' QUICHE??? We may come and leave fag butts on your lawn but we do have SOME standards! Seriously though, i normally find your intelligence and wit makes the FTMB a better place, but on the issue of smoking, let's just agree to disagree (even though i'm right) Peace brother.

Stu73 said:

Quiche? Fookin' QUICHE??? We may come and leave fag butts on your lawn but we do have SOME standards! Seriously though, i normally find your intelligence and wit makes the FTMB a better place, but on the issue of smoking, let's just agree to disagree (even though i'm right) Peace brother.

Ok!

Smoke cod not tobacco.

I like to smoke ham.
Smoked cod is OK in small amounts too.

Murder on the lungs though. :)

Back