• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

Morning all .Good grief lord Lucan what a truly terrifying experience.did you pluck up the courage to look around the door after it had gone.And did the sighting lead on to any more stuff happening.

My parents simply grew apart as some couples do. My father had a stressful job that required long hours away from home and lots of interstate travel. His way to relax was to be social with his mates at the pub, not to be at home with his wife and children. Not unlike many other men of the time (early 70's). It was an amicable parting and they remained on good terms, often meeting for lunch, we enjoyed Christmas together as a family, that sort of thing.
As for the thing I saw, that's not a bad representation in a general sense, except what I saw was purely evil and had no ears. What I saw had no hair, just a rough, scab like skin that was a mottled brown/green. Very unpleasant and wholly sinister.
Did you ever tell your dad or anyone else who lived in the house, what you saw?

Hi ghost in the machine my old dad would have known very sharpish if it had been me.

Yeah looking back on it don’t know if i would have.We didn’t get on to well. But in the past now.
I wonder if it might have been caused by the stress of the breaking up of the parents.I don’t mean any disrespect by that.But kids do keep things bottled up.Again I don’t want to upset or disrespect lord Lucan apologies if I have.

We walked through the church grounds and graveyard and as i was walking along the path, i felt huge energy travelling between two graves which faced each other on either side of the path - i didn't see anything, only felt it - it was like a force field which i didn't want to walk through (almost like the occupants were having an argument and i didn't want to interrupt, but it felt so strong. The graves looked itentical, large grey tombstones so they may have known each other in life i guess). Nobody else seemed to notice, and as i didn't want to get left by my year group, took a deep breath and ran through the energy! Sounds strange but that's the only way i can describe it

Would that be St James' Churchyard? Had a look at on findagrave, very pretty!

If this is the place for sleep paralysis...then sleep paralysis is scarier than the ufo stuff and almost worse than the poltergeist stuff. It's all interrelated but hey...

My first sleep paralysis was two years after the...ugh, alien abduction thing, but coincided with the heart thing - SVT. I'm old enough now to recognise an electromagnetic link between it all. If there's low pressure then I will have a spate of SVT and/or sleep paralysis.

Thunderstorms, lightning are somehow connected to shamanism and other dimensions. That's my half-assed theory anyhow.

sorry to hear about your sleep paralysis, i had them as a kid and know the terror of them, they stopped when i moved out of the house but have heard that my nephew (sister still lives there) who has the same room has "very bad nightmares". often wondered if its something to do with the room.

If this is the place for sleep paralysis...

If you're looking for more on sleep paralysis, try this other thread:

Adventures in sleep paralysis

...then sleep paralysis is scarier than the ufo stuff and almost worse than the poltergeist stuff...

I think I might be something of an odd fish in these waters - I seem to be the only one who likes their sleep paralysis episodes :pop:. Well, once they're over and I'm safely awake and reflecting on them - in media res, not so much, perhaps.

If you're looking for more on sleep paralysis, try this other thread:

Adventures in sleep paralysis

I think I might be something of an odd fish in these waters - I seem to be the only one who likes their sleep paralysis episodes :pop:. Well, once they're over and I'm safely awake and reflecting on them - in media res, not so much, perhaps.
What is it about sleep paralysis you like? Maybe you mean lucid dreaming?

They don't bother me either. I know what they are - brain-farts - and I generally manage to turn over and break wind eventually.

What is it about sleep paralysis you like? Maybe you mean lucid dreaming?

I've taken my reply over to "Adventures in sleep paralysis" to avoid overloading this thread with it.

They don't bother me either. I know what they are - brain-farts - and I generally manage to turn over and break wind eventually.

Heh, my brain gets too into the 'fart', so until I really wake up, it all feels like a real experience to me.

Figured I might as well throw a story into the mix. Sadly it pales in comparison with some of these tales! It was summer vacation, and I was still living at home with my parents. A small preface: the night before I'd been out with friends hanging around in the woods, as you do. The conversation had turned to creepy things in the woods and one of my friends began chanting "Watch out for the leprechaun!" in a high-pitched voice. It started to get on my nerves but naturally they kept at it for the rest of the evening.

I woke up the next morning and lay in bed for quite a while with wandering thoughts, including "Watch out for the leprechaun!" and how much it had annoyed me. Then I heard a mischievous giggle come from the left side of the room. I recall jumping up but there was nothing out of the ordinary, nothing to be seen. I was the only one home except for my cat and there were no TVs or radios on. To the best of my knowledge I was wide awake, but having experienced waking dreams, anything is possible.

Could have been my weird brain acting up! Or the cosmic trickster having a laugh, literally...

Techy and I have separate rooms*. Last night he 'heard' me go downstairs and open the lounge door and cough a bit, as I have done a lot recently, then shortly close the door and go back upstairs. I didn't go downstairs in the night and certainly don't sleepwalk but he swears he wasn't dreaming it!

*All the snoring and farting - he couldn't stand it any more!

Techy and I have separate rooms*. Last night he 'heard' me go downstairs and open the lounge door and cough a bit, as I have done a lot recently, then shortly close the door and go back upstairs. I didn't go downstairs in the night and certainly don't sleepwalk but he swears he wasn't dreaming it!

*All the snoring and farting - he couldn't stand it any more!
Your phantom self going for a walk!

Oh yikes you really have been to visit haven't you!!! oh er

Well bring some of that oven cleaning stuff next time you come please. I thought I had some but can't find it otherwise I'd have done it myself.

Sollywos x

You've nailed it ... she's perfecting a fortean technique to break quarantine. She's clever like that is our escargot!

Sollywos x
I suppose now would be a good time to learn how to astrally project while under quarantine...in the past I always got scared and stopped what I was doing :oops:

I do have another story, but it's wasn't exactly scary, more intriguing.

Years ago, I was renting an apartment from my cousins, and they'd given me their permission to do whatever I liked with the place as far as painting etc. went. Before I was ready to move in, I wanted to de-grunge the place since it had been occupied for decades by smokers and everything had a nicotine veneer. So as soon as I could, I began ripping up carpets, stripping the wallpaper, painting the walls and painting the floors. I went over every day I could with boxes of books, movies, CDs, out of season clothes, and other assorted stuff I wasn’t immediately using.

It was always in the afternoon after work when I headed over to do apartment related stuff, and it was usually very quiet up there on the third floor because everybody was at school or work. Sometimes I would get into a groove and leave the radio off so I could enjoy the peace.

One day, I was in the kitchen taking up the old, busted up sheets of vinyl flooring when I heard a small voice distinctly say hi to me, addressing me by name. I stood still. It was silent. There was nobody home in either of the units downstairs. I was completely alone in the whole house. The voice sounded disembodied, as if it had come from behind the air. I could not tell if it was male or female.

Months later Mr. Impybat moved in and began having nightmares about someone/something in the crawlspace. He also woke up in the middle of the night to see a blue figure gliding across the room and vanish. I also often had nightmares while we lived there.

Do you recall what the nightmares were about? Or shouldn't I ask? Maybe you don't want to remember them! :nails:

Last night he 'heard' me go downstairs and open the lounge door and cough a bit, as I have done a lot recently
Hey, Escargot, please say it's not the cough, is it? And please let that be the truth. You're not running a fever, are you?
And please say you don't smoke either. That makes me think of scary cancer.

Do you recall what the nightmares were about? Or shouldn't I ask? Maybe you don't want to remember them! :nails:

Hey, Escargot, please say it's not the cough, is it? And please let that be the truth. You're not running a fever, are you?
And please say you don't smoke either. That makes me think of scary cancer.

Thank you for your concern, how kind! I've been off work with what may be the virus, I dunno, but I've stayed home and done my best not to infect anyone.
So I have been coughing a lot which is unusual as I am not and never have been a smoker. Techy can tell where I am in the house by where the cough is coming from. Or thinks he can, heh.

Back