• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Place In Britain

Sure thing Jobbo!

Here's Bury Hill on the map (the ring isn't marked on this one)
Bury Hill

And here's the ring from the air.
Bury ring

Ignore the fences while your in there. They were put up by the snotty landowner under the pretence of 'preventing erosion', which is rubbish seeing as few go there apart from dog-walking locals and just seems to be an excuse to not spend any money on proper woodland management. Last time I was there areas were so overgrown with saplings, brambles and Old Man's Beard that it was impossible to completely walk the main ditch all the way round.
The only place to park is a grassy layby on the Clatford/Red Rice road by the main gate and I don't think theres much signposting to speak of.
A strangely forgotten place.
Have fun!

oxney bottom IS a very scary place.
evidence of rituals around a ruined abbey in the middle of a deep dark forest? yes I spent a night there the other day and it was great!

Scariest place Ive ever been is a small castle ruin in the village of Killin, Perthshire. I dont know the name of the castle, and it is marked as private property (although there is no fence around it). It has the remains of a beheading pit and two gravestones from the family that lived there, but I can find nothing of its history other than that. If anyone is around that area and wishes to visit, its quite hard to find. Cross the bridge at the Falls of Dochart and drive through the village towards the loch. At the Post Office take the right hand fork in the road and drive past the ambulance garage. Park in the car park there and follow the old railway line for about half a mile, then look up to the left after the farmhouse, there is a steep bank with a rope hanging from a tree. Climb up through there and you wil find it. It has such a creepy atmosphere and I would definitely recommend a visit at dusk if you happen to be around there!!

Hi EvilPumpkin,

That will be Finlarig Castle. I visited there with my parents many years ago, and it's a place that I've always wanted to go back to. Maybe on Saturday I'll catch a bus up there and have another wander around it.

Here's a link to a website that mentions it.

Personally, the spookiest place that I've ever visited is Hermitage Castle in Liddesdale in the Scottish borders. The place has an incredibally oppressive atmosphere. :shock:

Link about Hermitage Castle

I totally agree . The Hermitage is truly the most terrifying place I have ever visited . I hate the way it looks as if the ground has swallowed it up , hated the taste and spat it out again . A true sense of evil pervades the whole site - and the stories about Robin Redcap (an evil familiar used by the devil-worshipping Laird) only make you feel even more uneasy . I hate passing by there :shock:

One of the creepiest places I know is Cleenish in County Fermanagh . It is a difficult place to find ( you take the A509 south from Enniskillen until you get to Bellanaleck , and then head east for a mile or so along a narrow road.)

It is an uninhabited ? island in Upper Lough Erne , but there are loads of empty houses . The houses are all relatively modern and in good condition , but there is a real creepy atmosphere on the whole island (it is always dark and gloomy even in good weather) , and the empty houses dont help matters.

I know it is only psychological , but every time I go there I'm overcome with a sense of dread and depression , and cant wait to get back off the island (you get to it by a bridge , so it's not too bad).

Or how about the gibbet on the moorland above Elsdon in Northumberland (midway between Otterburn and Rothbury). The gibbet contained the body of a murderer who killed a local hag . According to the 'Good Ghost Guide' , the gibbet and the area around it is apparently haunted by his restless spirit.

No too far away , near Alnwick , is the village of Edlingham . It is on the B6341 , and there is very little there apart from a ruined castle and a church . Around a year ago I felt very uneasy inside the church and felt like I was being watched and followed around , even though I was the only person inside the church . Some people went in after me , and said they had the same feeling .

The flatlands of Lincolnshire and the Fens can seem a very scary place. It's like, there's nowhere to hide, nowhere to escape to, just acres of flatness. And then you run into some drainage channel! Or worse, a swamp... :shock:

I visited the area recently and was struck by the number of folk-tales about 'creatures' in the swamps... and 'spirits' in the culverts, pools and remaining bogs since the lowlands were brought into cultivation. It must have been even more sinister before then...

(Of course, I made the mistake of reading about the spooky places before I camped in the middle of nowhere, next to a ditch of dark, smelly water, on a stormy night... :roll: )

Hey 'trash M8, camping beside murky water is a baad idea. You might've been bitten by mozzies. The Fens were famous for the 'ague', which was a form of malaria spread by mosquito bite, right up to early modern times. :shock:

In fact, look at this beautiful article. :D

http://pmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/80/949/663

I love epidemiology.

JOHN WILSON~ said:
Has anyone ever heard of the Goblin Ha' at Yester Castle, 1.5 miles south East of Gifford in East Lothian?
The Castle was built in 1297 by Hugo de Gifford, the self - proclaimed "Wizard of Yester" and said by many to have been the Prince of Darkness himself.
Through magic or collusion with the devil he created an army of otherworldly (and most definitely underworldly) creatures to be used on his command.
They were kept in tunnels and chambers under Yester castle.
These underground passageways and the surrounding forest is by the far the most gut-churningly terrifyingly place in Britain.
I dare any sceptic to go down there at night and listen....and watch..Your torch will suddenly go out...you will feel something grab your arm...
This place makes Blair Witch look like Paul Daniels.

Wow! I want a movie!

I thought that Goblin Ha' and Yester Castle itself in Gifford was situated on land within a private and inaccessable estate.

Is it possible for member of the public to actually visit Goblin Ha'?

Personally, the spookiest place that I've ever visited is Hermitage Castle in Liddesdale in the Scottish borders. The place has an incredibally oppressive atmosphere. :shock:

Link about Hermitage Castle

Great thread that definitely deserves a bump!

I am not familiar with Hermitage Castle, but from looking at photos I wonder if it is something to do with the sheer bulk of it. It looks intimidating (probably the point, in all fairness), but you expect older castles to be ruinous or whimsical, the Hermitage seems to be weirdly solidly there.

I don't know about scariest, but the places I'd recommend any Fortean to visit for the vibe is the West Kennet long barrow in Wiltshire (and do take in Silbury Hill and Avebury while you are there) and the 9 maidens in Cornwall.

Back