• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have no idea who, or what, the communicators are. I am reasonably convinced of the paranormality of the Scole events, but I really doubt that it was "spirit scientists" trying to establish contact with the living. For a start, everyone living ends up dead, so I don't see why the dead would need to convince the living of continued existence, when we'll all find out soon enough anyway. There is some sort of deception going on, and I don't mean hoaxing, I mean the communicators are not revealing their true motives. More of Joe Fisher's hungry ghosts... they build up the human participants into some sort of dependency, then shut them down.
Exactly, The Hungry Ghost book should be required reading, whatever it is, is very good at deception and telling half truths to string the gullible along

I mean it's not as if this wasn't known about in the past, the practitioners of old and so called primitive societies used to take great precautions if they ever tried to communicate with the dead.

If I remember right they stopped the experiment because they said something from another dimension was trying to get through? I don't believe they ever really elaborated on this (I may have forgotten if they did) but it did seem rather bizarre just to stop it if it was going so well, the inner sceptic in me says they stopped it before they were found out, but people with experience of these things were quite convinced, and I was not there to witness it

Another thought I had, especially with this case, it ought to be repeatable, as far as I am aware it only took place in one location, but to have any credence one should be able to set it up anywhere

Another thought I had, especially with this case, it ought to be repeatable, as far as I am aware it only took place in one location, but to have any credence one should be able to set it up anywhere
Yes, I have this in my collection. I believe a group in the Netherlands or somewhere claimed to carry on for a while. But since I don't believe the communicators are who they say, it just comes down to another seance group, albeit with a slightly higher level of evidence. But the sitters are never in control, and don't really know what is happening or how, so making it repeatable is unlikely.

Just had a re-read of this thread and this post stands out to me, it's something that's always puzzled me

I read the book a number of years ago, I sit on the fence about how genuine it all was, but if I was in the afterlife and I wanted to convince the world I would think of something much better than this, starting with some simple facts such as name DOB and date of death etc moving to more complicated things, and when my veracity had been proven, move on to more details about the afterlife the process etc, but what we get is just banalities and parlor tricks
I have similar questions. If it's possible for the dead to communicate, then it should be fairly easy for them to verify that they are who they say they are, and for them to answer some fundamental questions about the continued existence of consciousness. Rather than vague mutterings or moving trumpets.

To me Schole was just a continuation of the silliness that has past for post death communication, we don't need parlor tricks just some decent communication minus the philosophy as well (there's nothing worse than a philosophizing spirit)

To this aim this is why Schole failed to ignite that much interest, it was just silliness with a few bells and whistles added on and told us nothing new about what comes after life

Do we know what the participants in this so called experiment got up to after ?

To me Schole was just a continuation of the silliness that has past for post death communication, we don't need parlor tricks just some decent communication minus the philosophy as well (there's nothing worse than a philosophizing spirit)

To this aim this is why Schole failed to ignite that much interest, it was just silliness with a few bells and whistles added on and told us nothing new about what comes after life
Silliness is just the right word.

I think my standpoint is, I am pretty sure disembodied dead people don't hang about in the ether dispensing cryptic messages. So I'm not convinced seancey style activities could ever tell us anything about what comes after you die. I don't think seances have got to do with dead people at all. (Even if there could be times the information is true and there's no 'cheating' I think there could be more plausible paranormal ways of psychics getting it).

But for me the point is, maybe poltergeists do exist (I know that's a pretty big leap for normal people but bear with me). And if seancey stuff ever produces anything that's not just cheating or ideomotor effects or whatever, then it has stuff in common with poltergeist activity. So that's the interesting bit for me, can people (purportedly like in the Philip experiment) conjure up something with their minds, their consciousness. And if they can, what does that say about the nature of consciousness (as a kind of general thing in the world, not just in human skulls). I'm sure lots of the weird fortean stuff we know and love comes down to it somehow.

And regarding silliness, it has links with the whole tricksterish nature of these sorts of things, I think. It's like a not very grown up, unreflective consciousness.

Silliness is just the right word.

I think my standpoint is, I am pretty sure disembodied dead people don't hang about in the ether dispensing cryptic messages. So I'm not convinced seancey style activities could ever tell us anything about what comes after you die. I don't think seances have got to do with dead people at all. (Even if there could be times the information is true and there's no 'cheating' I think there could be more plausible paranormal ways of psychics getting it).

But for me the point is, maybe poltergeists do exist (I know that's a pretty big leap for normal people but bear with me). And if seancey stuff ever produces anything that's not just cheating or ideomotor effects or whatever, then it has stuff in common with poltergeist activity. So that's the interesting bit for me, can people (purportedly like in the Philip experiment) conjure up something with their minds, their consciousness. And if they can, what does that say about the nature of consciousness (as a kind of general thing in the world, not just in human skulls). I'm sure lots of the weird fortean stuff we know and love comes down to it somehow.

And regarding silliness, it has links with the whole tricksterish nature of these sorts of things, I think. It's like a not very grown up, unreflective consciousness.
I have long suspected that much (but not all) this stuff comes from pretty low level entities (whatever they are)

But in the case at point there is the usual ambiguity and questions that kind of undermine the whole thing, remembering back to the book and all the talk about making radios with Germanium crystals (according to Wikipedia they used to make semi conductors out of it) but if you can make a radio (for want of a better word) that can talk to the other side if should be repeatable by everyone, as far as I am aware no one has

And then the photographs a genuine WTF moment, using easily obtained photo's why? If you wanted to convince a skeptical world why not give us new pictures ?

To me it falls short, but I would still love to know what became of the instigators of it all

Back