• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Secret Roller Coaster: Molester's Homemade Park

MrRING

Android Futureman
I thought this was weird. A local guy to me apparently made a ramshackle roller coaster out of PVC pipe and spare wood, but used it to lure locals kids for immortal purposes. The police have torn down the ride since his arrest.

The strange angle the local news hasn't explained is exactly where he build it. It looked like it was just in the woods somewhere, and the man was arrested in public housing, so I wonder if it was built in some woods to make his own secret park, or if it was on property he owned but he just happened to be hanging out in public housing when arrested. Some of the pictures make me think it could have been in a wooded area outside the public housing units.

.ajc.com/news/local/man-with-homemade-roller-coaster-backyard-arrested-child-molestation-charges/RhEmK9XvUXdPbLGojcou0N/
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Here is what may or may not have been the same text, posted on a TV news site at the time.

Man with homemade roller coaster in backyard arrested on child molestation charges

May 31, 2018 at 8:03 pm EDT
By Matt Johnson, WSB-TV

Parents in a DeKalb County community fear a roller coaster that a neighbor built for his children and others somehow played a role in 35-year-old Dectavious Moore's arrest on accusations of child molestation.

An employee with the Housing Authority of Lithonia tore down the homemade roller coaster, and many want to know if he used the roller coaster to lure children.

"The things he was doing for his children was just a persona to lure other kids," one neighbor told Channel 2 Action News. ...

Some neighbors said they wouldn't let their kids near the ride, which was made mostly of PVC pipes and wood, but they didn't think the man who built it would be accused of child sex crimes.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation confirmed that Moore built the roller coaster in his backyard and neighbors said it has only been around for a few months.

GBI agents arrested Moore on Wednesday night at a Lithonia public housing complex on Kelly Street.
Authorities could not confirm if the disturbing crimes took place near the ride hidden in the woods.

Agents said they found evidence of sexually explicit images of children made at the complex.

The investigation into Moore started in Newton County in September of 2017.

Authorities said a child's parent called 911 on Moore; sheriff's deputies charged him with enticing a minor, and he bonded out of jail.

Evidence uncovered on his phone over the past year led the GBI to find as many as eight victims. Only three have been positively identified, according to GBI. The victims are black girls ranging from ages 7-14.

Neighbors told Channel 2 Action News they are glad both the roller coaster and Moore likely won't be coming back anytime soon. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ma...rhood-accused-of-child-molestation/760378365/

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was weird. A local guy to me apparently made a ramshackle roller coaster out of PVC pipe and spare wood, but used it to lure locals kids for immortal purposes. ...

??? ... For the purposes or pleasures of immortals? So as to persist in perpetuity? :dunno:

:evillaugh:

But seriously ...

The strange angle the local news hasn't explained is exactly where he build it. It looked like it was just in the woods somewhere .. /

The linked article specifically says it was built in 'his backyard'. That, ,plus the references to neighbors knowing about it, suggests the DIY roller coaster was constructed adjacent to a set of separate dwellings (as opposed to something like a single apartment building).

It definitely said backyard, but the live-action footage on the local channel down here made it look more in a wild area. Still, pretty weird and - IMMORTAL!

After finding Kelly Street in Lithonia using Google Maps (satellite view) it appears that all the buildings on that short street are indeed apartment houses.

Later local reports have clarified that it was built in a common space behind the housing complex, which in the broadest sense may be a backyard but it's more like a shared piece of woodland.

I couldn't find that I had posted this already on the board. Basically a dude built a homemade and illegal rollercoaster hidden in a neighborhood to apparently do questionable things:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ma...rhood-accused-of-child-molestation/760378365/
Parents in a DeKalb County community fear a roller coaster that a neighbor built for his children and others somehow played a role in 35-year-old Dectavious Moore's arrest on accusations of child molestation.

An employee with the Housing Authority of Lithonia tore down the homemade roller coaster, and many want to know if he used the roller coaster to lure children.

"The things he was doing for his children was just a persona to lure other kids," one neighbor told Channel 2 Action News.
More at the AJC:
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...used-several-children/sbsJB9HfpResrGwz66g0OM/

I couldn't find that I had posted this already on the board. Basically a dude built a homemade and illegal rollercoaster hidden in a neighborhood to apparently do questionable things:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ma...rhood-accused-of-child-molestation/760378365/

You did, and you most recent post has been moved here to the thread where you'd previously posted about this story.

The link you provided in 2018 is dead, and (ahem ... ) you didn't bother to quote anything from the story to aid in tracking down the content.

Please bear that in mind in the future ...

Additionally ... If you searched for the earlier thread title you may have been foiled by the fact you originally titled it using "Rollercoaster" (1 word) rather than "Roller coaster." I've now changed the title to the more common version.

Because the 31 May 2018 article from the TV news site seems to cover the same ground I've inserted a more extensive quote in your post #1.

Here's a 31 May 2018 file photo of a city worker demolishing the homemade roller coaster.

LithoniaCoasterDemo-2018.jpeg

SOURCE: https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...used-several-children/sbsJB9HfpResrGwz66g0OM/

Kelly Street is on the edge of town and backyards abut quite an extensive area of forest.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.27.20 AM.png

EDIT: I had no idea before this thread that homemade rollercoasters were a thing, but apparently they are:

Last edited:
He doesn't look like any kind of 'city worker'. Casual clothing and shoes, no protective equipment - helmet, hi-viz, even gloves.

He’s the Polish bloke actually doing the work. He is surrounded by a phalanx of Health & Safety officials, Diversity and Inclusion officers and Environmental Impact assessors, all in full PPE.

maximus otter

He’s the Polish bloke actually doing the work. He is surrounded by a phalanx of Health & Safety officials, Diversity and Inclusion officers and Environmental Impact assessors, all in full PPE.

maximus otter
The other 'workmen' are to be found nearby, taking a tea break.

You did, and you most recent post has been moved here to the thread where you'd previously posted about this story.

The link you provided in 2018 is dead, and (ahem ... ) you didn't bother to quote anything from the story to aid in tracking down the content.

Please bear that in mind in the future ...

Additionally ... If you searched for the earlier thread title you may have been foiled by the fact you originally titled it using "Rollercoaster" (1 word) rather than "Roller coaster." I've now changed the title to the more common version.

Because the 31 May 2018 article from the TV news site seems to cover the same ground I've inserted a more extensive quote in your post #1.

EnolaGaia, I tried to PM this to you, but your permissions didn't allow me to, so apologize for the public listing of this.

Maybe you didn't intend this interpretation, but for some reason what I bolded above strikes me as condescending, particularly considering that the rules of how and what to post in this board have changed quite a bit over time, and this was posted at a period when I was very unsure how much we could post. My thought was to try to add a little bit of my angle with the direct story link only to avoid possible problems for ya'll. Also, my previous post was from 2018, and you yourself commented on the thread at the time with nary a request to fully quote the article at that time, nor a rebuke then for not doing so. When trying to look for the article, I searched on the offender's name, but that was the best I could think to do to try and find it.

It puts me in a position that makes me think why I want to communicate with the board in the first place. I posted many things on the very day this went through due to rare and happy circumstances at work that required me to babysit a process on my computer with no other work to do, and the rest of my posts were all seemingly happily enjoyed by the board and some even created good and interesting comments... but what lingers in my mind is not the endorphins of that fun, but this (to my mind) needless chastisement for not posting in the right place, not finding my previous thread, not knowing how the rules would be interpreted 3 years down the line about how much of a linked article to include.

I won't say this is permanent goodbye, but I think I'll return to lurking for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm exhausted from this largely horrible world we live in these days.

EnolaGaia, I tried to PM this to you, but your permissions didn't allow me to, so apologize for the public listing of this.

Maybe you didn't intend this interpretation, but for some reason what I bolded above strikes me as condescending, particularly considering that the rules of how and what to post in this board have changed quite a bit over time, and this was posted at a period when I was very unsure how much we could post. My thought was to try to add a little bit of my angle with the direct story link only to avoid possible problems for ya'll. Also, my previous post was from 2018, and you yourself commented on the thread at the time with nary a request to fully quote the article at that time, nor a rebuke then for not doing so. When trying to look for the article, I searched on the offender's name, but that was the best I could think to do to try and find it.

It puts me in a position that makes me think why I want to communicate with the board in the first place. I posted many things on the very day this went through due to rare and happy circumstances at work that required me to babysit a process on my computer with no other work to do, and the rest of my posts were all seemingly happily enjoyed by the board and some even created good and interesting comments... but what lingers in my mind is not the endorphins of that fun, but this (to my mind) needless chastisement for not posting in the right place, not finding my previous thread, not knowing how the rules would be interpreted 3 years down the line about how much of a linked article to include.

I won't say this is permanent goodbye, but I think I'll return to lurking for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm exhausted from this largely horrible world we live in these days.

13_580x.png

Don't go!

This is the first mystery I'd like to clear up ...

Were you logged in (to the forum) when you attempted to send me a PM (start a Conversation)?

Any member should be able to initiate a Conversation with / send a PM to me.

Please send me a new PM to test whether or not there's some problem I'm not aware of ...

(Quoting EnolaGaia's post ... )
... The link you provided in 2018 is dead, and (ahem ... ) you didn't bother to quote anything from the story to aid in tracking down the content. ...
Maybe you didn't intend this interpretation, but for some reason what I bolded above strikes me as condescending, particularly considering that the rules of how and what to post in this board have changed quite a bit over time, and this was posted at a period when I was very unsure how much we could post. My thought was to try to add a little bit of my angle with the direct story link only to avoid possible problems for ya'll. Also, my previous post was from 2018, and you yourself commented on the thread at the time with nary a request to fully quote the article at that time, nor a rebuke then for not doing so. When trying to look for the article, I searched on the offender's name, but that was the best I could think to do to try and find it. ...

You're right - I didn't intend any interpretation implying I was slamming you personally for your posting actions either then or now.

I'm sorry you took it that way, and I apologize for irritating you. Having said that, let me undertake some explaining ...

When you posted your newer post about the hidden roller coaster affair, it triggered a memory of what I believed to be the earlier (2018) story to which I'd responded at the time (see above). What I didn't recall was that the story's thread "faded" after only a day and essentially "died entirely" with your follow-on post some 6 days after it was started. I would have thought the story would have burgeoned into a sizable thread, but it didn't.

My memory of there having been such a story clashed with your statement that you couldn't find where you'd previously posted about the story, so I set out to find wherever it was that story had already appeared. If nothing else, I needed to confirm whether that remembered story was the same thing to which your more recent posting referred.

I ran into the same problem you mentioned yourself - an inability to readily turn up anything using a search. After some extensive and tricky search maneuvers I finally located the 2018 thread, which confirmed not only its existence (and my memory's viability) but also that it was you who'd posted about it back then.

The reason neither of us could locate the 2018 thread was self-evident. In the absence of any quoted news item text or details embedded in comments there simply weren't any "hooks" leading to that particular posting. This also meant the old thread lacked any details by which one could prove it was the same thing to which your newer post referred. This meant the searching had to continue ...

To make matters worse, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website (to which you'd linked in 2018) had already flushed the story from its archives. This was a surprise, insofar as most major American newspapers maintain archives going back farther than the 33 months involved here.

I finally located the TV news version of the story from the same date, plus evidence that it probably represented the same report that had appeared in the newspaper. My guess is that AJC and the TV station share and cross-list their news items, and in this case it was the TV station that may have held primary responsibility for archiving the story.

I then salvaged the text of the contemporary (2018) news that could be found, edited it into the original thread, and merged that thread with the new one. That resolved the problems of (a) providing some details associated with the earlier posting and (b) providing some context for current readers to understand WTF this was about.

While I was at it, I posted a salvaged photo of the DIY roller coaster I'd found during my searches to illustrate the contraption and its location.

James H beat me to posting an illustrative map of the immediate locale (to which I'd alluded without providing illustration back in 2018).

As I presume you've noticed we (the staff) have been getting increasingly strident about introducing / contextualizing postings so that fellow members can understand what a given post is about. Any issue with ambiguity / indecipherability in postings gets worse when threads fade into the past and externally-linked content goes MIA.

This particular thread clearly provided an illustrative example of what can happen if a thread launches with insufficient details or context-setting to support its future identification, location and / or informativeness. I won't apologize for investing the couple of hours it took to salvage the original bits and edit things so people nowadays can understand the whole arc of the storyline.

On the other hand ... I do apologize for leaving you with the impression I was specifically targeting you. My "ahem" comment was meant as no more than a playful poke in the ribs and a cue to others to pay attention in making their postings usefully informative.

I'm sorry you took it as a slap in the face. I assure you that wasn't what I was aiming for ...

Back