• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Seven Swords Of Destiny

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any information on this subject?
I remember getting a book out of my local library when I was about 15 on this subject but since then the book has been lost or misplaced and I cant find another copy anywere.
It talked about the supposed seven swords of destiny and the serches that have been going on for decades to try and find all 7.
Supposedly Alister Crowley managed to uncover and then re-hide 5 of the swords.
I think that story goes that the seven sword were used by the seven angels that sent lucifer from heaven. When all seven swords are put together a power greater than anything on this earth will be revealed.
I remeber also that the book showed lots of church windows dipicting the seven angels with their swords.

Anyone know any more or has anyone read/seen this book.

For some reason this sparked a great interest in me when I read it and it still enters my mind all the time 9 years later.

Hmmm... One of these wouldn't be Durandal: the sword of Roland, would it?

Az

Collecting seven physical? swords sounds more like a game
than a Crowleyan quest. But my Library of Piffle only runs to
a Book Club copy of his Magick and the biography called The Great
Beast. A huge dollop of his stuff is online at

http://members.nbci.com/yohonza/

though you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader and the patience of a
depraved Saint.

Chapter Eight of Magick is devoted to The Sword and its symbolism in
ritual magic. Surprisingly perhaps, it does not symbolize the
phallus for Crowley but the analytical faculty. :cool:

Wasn't the Seven Swords thing the sequel to that Black Alchemist book?

Niles

Thanks for the help so far guys.
This was an actual "factual" book , in Cannock Library.

(Im starting to think Cannock is the Twin Peaks of England for all the stuff that goes on there!!!)

There were phycics employed in retreving the swords, and an account by Alister Crowley on how he hid one of the swords in the brickwork of a bridge somewhere in the midlands.
Also were details of one sword being used in a ritual in a serpent lodge in a park in Stafford.

Surely I cant be the only person to have seen this book, I have tried searching the net (which I do for a living) and have found ziltch, zip, nadda.

Help

:confused:

jonnyboy said:
Thanks for the help so far guys.
This was an actual "factual" book , in Cannock Library.
=snip=
There were phycics employed in retreving the swords, and an account by Alister Crowley on how he hid one of the swords in the brickwork of a bridge somewhere in the midlands.
Also were details of one sword being used in a ritual in a serpent lodge in a park in Stafford.

Surely I cant be the only person to have seen this book, I have tried searching the net (which I do for a living) and have found ziltch, zip, nadda.

As I said before it was the sequel to/ in the same vein as the Black Alchemist book. It portrayed the events within as fact and was frequently placed upon the Occult shelves in bookstores and libraries.

I do remember reading it, and I found it a rip roaring good read. It's blend of alleged fact and pulp'esqe adventure appealed to me and I've often sought to recreate it in the RPG's I GM. One thing I do remember is that it's portrayal of magic[k] was/is very close to my own experiences. Unfortunatly I can't swear to its truthfulness...

Niles

A very similar sounding book is by Andrew Collins, called 'The Seventh Sword'. The next one was 'The Second Coming' which continued some of the same themes.

The same events are described in 'The Green Stone' and 'The Eye of Fire', which I believe were written by Phillips and Keatman (?) who do all the alternative archeology stuff. As does Collins, nowadays.

I've never really managed to decide if I believe it all or not, but they are all an entertaining read. There were Crowley references and stuff about archangels, but I'm not sure if it's the same one that you mean. Oddly similar though...

DanHigginbottom said:
The same events are described in 'The Green Stone' and 'The Eye of Fire', which I believe were written by Phillips and Keatman (?) who do all the alternative archeology stuff. As does Collins, nowadays.

The Green Stone definatly rings a bell...
I think that's the one! They're true?!?

Niles

They are presented as being factual accounts, yes. Phillips and Keatman's version puts more emphasis on the retrieval of a mystical green stone (you sez the title, you gets the money), the key to the finding being connected to a sword hidden in the brickwork of an old bridge (see, I've re-read the original posts and checked the books this time).

It definitely wasn't Crowley, though; it was a 19th century mystical group, with pre-Raphaelite connections. Crowley makes a cameo appearance, channelled by a medium, attempting to trick the group hunting the stone into splitting up.

Andrew Collins' version is more about the swords themselves. They only had six at the end of the book; I believe the seventh turned up eventually, but the story doesn't seem to have been published.

Make of it what you will...

Taking my inspiration from a certain mollusc-like senior member, how's about this for an old thread?

I remember reading a few (old geocities-style) web pages relating to all kinds of shenanigins and skulduggery relating to people in the UK looking for swords and a 'green stone' being involved plus all kinds of interestingly-bonkers tangents [eg., The Order Of Meonia, Mary Queen Of Scots, Templars] in a psychic quest'. I could never quite get my noggin around it all, and still don't have the time or inclination to get lost down the link-holes for days. Apart from the posts above, does anyone have a succint, idiot's version to tell?

And then, on a related web search I found this rather odd but fascinating site about a reputed late Victorian Staffordshire-based 'Transformationalist' art movement: http://www.stoke.freeuk.com/html/md.html in which a conspiracy against Meonia written about in Collins' book about the green stone et al is linked right back to this art philosophy - and the significance of The Hat.

From http://www.stoke.freeuk.com/html/fh.html here's a selection of Transformationalist Frederick Hammersley's works:

"Symphony of a Thousand: For 1,000 instrumentalists. Any instruments may be used. Anything may be played."

"String Quartet Number One: Take four pieces of string and put them on a stage."

"Symphony in D, `The Choral`: For any number of musicians. They must all sing `D` as in `dee` or `deedeedee` or `deedee` until"

Poem:

hat

I

think

I

shall

put my

hat

on

today

The Novel:

HAT

I think I`ll put my hat on, today.

Enjoy :)

I always found this story fascinating, as one of my previous incarnations mentions above. There are very much two sides; Collins tells a dramatic story which he seems to try and take a relaxed attitude to in the main. It feels a little as though much of his account could be the work of a determined prankster (I note some very Discordian elements here and there, especially use of the word "kallistee").

On the other hand, the Green Stone/ Eye of Fire books...well, I have no idea what the "real" story was, but some rather odd alternative accounts have surfaced in recent years. "Quest for the Eye of Fire" paints a bit of a troubling picture of some of the group involved, to say the least. No idea how reliable any of these perspectives are, obviously.

The Green Stone is an interesting piece of folklore that I can shed some light upon. There are a series of stories about it. One says it was a gemstone in the brow of Satan that was struck by the Archangel St. Michael with a fiery spear, and it fell to earth where it became a source of unusual power. It has been said that the Green Stone is actually the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, while others have called it the Holy Grail. In Arthurian myth, the Green Stone allegedly took the shape of a chessboard, and the Dwarf Knight would play knights at chess, and beat them over the head with it when they lost, as he was trying to be rid of it. Within Alchemy, some have equated the Green Stone with the Philosopher's stone, but this is probably incorrect.

Back