• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Shadow Man & His Damned Hat

My mate has just moved in the last two weeks down to Sussex. He has a top floor flat in a 3 story building, and therefore the roof area, from where he likes to sit in the evening overlooking the main street below. He was on the phone to me this evening when he let out a yelp of shock. He says there was a pitch black shadow standing next to him, which he saw in his peripheral vision. He switched to a video call to show me there was nothing there to cast any shadows...no sheets, no trees, no higher buildings. I could see it was twilight, still a degree of blue in the sky, rather than black night.

It would be interesting to see if anything more happens to confirm this wasn't a mere illusion.

To feed the imagination in lieu of anything more concrete to add, I'll throw in the tantalising details that the flat was sold at a lot less than market value, as the previous owner wanted a quick sale. And that as our call progressed he received an email out of the blue from a family friend wishing them well down there as they didn't think they'd be seeing them again. He answered straight away to reassure this person they'd be back up here visiting and would invite her down as soon as. Maybe she was simply fishing for that reassurance. But the timing so proximate to the the dark apparition does invite speculation of a potential link. Might he soon receive bad news about her? Might she have had ominous presentiments about them? Of course ive not said that to him.

For whatever its worth, should it prove relevant later i looked at the time and deducted the number of minutes since the video call began and so place the shadow encounter at 9.28pm this evening, Sunday 25 July.

Are you going to go there for a visit and a little sleuthing?

My mate has just moved in the last two weeks down to Sussex. He has a top floor flat in a 3 story building, and therefore the roof area, from where he likes to sit in the evening overlooking the main street below. He was on the phone to me this evening when he let out a yelp of shock. He says there was a pitch black shadow standing next to him, which he saw in his peripheral vision. He switched to a video call to show me there was nothing there to cast any shadows...no sheets, no trees, no higher buildings. I could see it was twilight, still a degree of blue in the sky, rather than black night.

It would be interesting to see if anything more happens to confirm this wasn't a mere illusion.
I expected this anecdote to go no further.. maybe it has maybe it hasn't. He was just on the phone again, morning, talking to me with his headphones on. A good while into the conversation he suddenly interrupts to call out to someone else. Hearing another voice from a distance i assumed a delivery man or work call so i stopped talking, but it immediately became apparent he wasn't responding to a voice at all (in retrospect what i heard was probably myself as he pulled the head phones away from his ear, my voice travelling from the earpiece to the mouthpiece and back to me). He said he heard a knock or thump. A newly hung picture fallen off the wall? It didn't appear so. The conversation resumed. Shortly after...he heard it again, 2 raps coming from behind him and loud enough to be heard through his headphones. He's facing the wall so behind him is the open space of the room. There is no flat on the other side of the far wall, he's on the top floor and the windows are double glazed. Pipes in the wall? "If it is i've not heard them before".

Still far too early to start assuming there's a presence in the house. (for the record another cliche worth noting is that he's been going through intense emotional swings recently, the stress of moving and family issues. Which might feed into the popular narrative of poltergeist cases. But let's not jump the gun!) But its worth the update, just in case. For the record i asked him if the place was haunted would he be scared, upset....or just fascinated? He says the latter. Which is good.

Last edited:
Are you going to go there for a visit and a little sleuthing?
I'm visiting next week for a week. First visitor to the new place n fact.
To add to the possibilities its worth mentioning that the friend in question has been referenced by me many times on these boards, as the subject/object/partner of a the greater number of my apparent dream telepathy experiences, inlcuding the deliberate ones...and in his own right as someone who has had in his life a number of crisis apparition and presentiment experiences. I've often wondered if it would facilitate the paranormal if we were to both attend an allegedly haunted location together.

I was clearing the kitchen table on Friday night when, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a shadow crossing the darkened hall into the living room; a definite bipedal figure, although I didn't see a head. The In House GP was on the sofa in his sleeping bag, playing Halo 6. Son No 2 was out at the gym. The Teenager, who would have been about the right size to cause said shadow, was upstairs in the shower. I did actually go and look through the living room door, half-expecting to see her standing watching the games, but she wasn't there. Funny, the things we see in our peripheral vision...

Back