• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Shadow Man & His Damned Hat

I found your link and your right Laura our experiences are extreamly simlar.....how odd. o_O

When i was very young i hated going to bed. I remember having tantrums and hanging on to the banister at the bottom and physically having to be dragged up to bed even if i was exhausted. I was terrified of the things in the house. I knew were there but that's different stories. The main reason was i did'nt like to go to sleep. The second i closed my eyes i would wake again in bed in the same situation in which id fallen to sleep but i knew i was asleep. My ears would ring and thump, my heart would race and i knew, i had to flee. I would be chased by a tall thing in a long black cloak, big black hood covering its face and carring what i now know to be a cicle. I would run out of my room down the stairs and hide in the recess below the stairs in the fetal position and rock backward's and forwards as the thumping in my ears and head got louder, the closer he got the louder it became. It never chased me fast, just walked slowly behind me. I knew if i did'nt wake up before it got to me i would die and never wake up again. I always managed to wake my self up and this continued every night for years and years, right back to as far as i can remember and i think i was 10 the last time i had this nightmare. The last time was the only time i woke in a different location to where id fallen asleep (in my dream) It was my grandmas house. I woke (in reality) obviously where i had fallen asleep in my own bed at home. I now know that the thing in my dreams is what is referred to as the grimm reaper. I mentioned it to my father once and he told me that the grimm reaper was a messenger of the devil and he only came to collect the soul's of evil people. Other theories are that hes the angel of death in general. Its strange that even as a child, before i knew who he was, i knew id die if i did'nt wake before he got to me.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had any simlar experiences or if im the only one and what it could mean. Or just any theories of the grimm reaper his self. All theories are welcome and encouraged no matter how mundane or extreme.

Thanks Lucy.

I was looking for something else entirely, and came across this post - note the details about coat and brimmed hat:
Anyway, on to the flat in question:
On the day I moved in my then 5 y/o Goddaughter came with me as she wanted to look after the cat. ( :) ) I was in the bedroom unpacking, which faced the stairs that lead up the opposite direction into the living room which is where GDaughter and cat where. Well, all the removals where done and it was just us in the flat, the door shut. Through a crack in the hinge side of the door I saw a 'man' coming up the stairs (His back was towards me.) I could tell he had a sort of mac on and a brimmed hat, but appart from that he was like a dark shaddow. I cacked myself and almost bolted out! I managed to calm myself down and convince myself it was the stress of moving or something. I never mentioned it to anyone on the phone or in person that day as I didn't want the Gdaughter to overhear and get scared.
She stayed over that night and slept in my room with me as it was a new situation (She had her own room.). I don't recall seeing the cat that night? Anyway, we both feel asleep pretty quickly as it had been a tiering day. Around 5 AM I was awoken with the most God awful screams, it was my Gdaughter in the hallway. It was really strange as she came back in and told me something but we both just kind of laid down and went back to sleep! Now of course normally this wouldn't happen if she was distressed like that, she'd be too upset to sleep and I'd want to comfort her. But we just both dropped back off in seconds.?
In the morning I vaugly remembered an upset and asked what happened. She said she'd got up to go to the loo (Off the same hallway as the stairs, just to the right of them from the bedroom.) but saw a man walking down the stairs, he had a hat and coat on, and she really freaked out when he looked up and just stared at her!
We also had trouble with the biggest hairiest looking spiders, they were everywhere. Considering we were in a first story flat with no garden or greenery for a while I thought it was unusual. I also had my clothes tugged, quite sharply, many times, whilst alone in the flat. My hair yanked too. Often I would sit on a chair or sofa and it would be steadily but quietly vibrating. There would be massive crashes heard from a room and upon investigation nohing would be amiss, then you'd hear more crashing and banging from the room you were just in with the same results!
Also, my neighbour came to me once to complain. (Our flats were layed out the same, but opposite each other if you know what I mean. His starirs/hallway was adjacent to mine.) He said he'd heard my Gdaughter for the past few nights running up and down the hallway around 4 AM and crying and shouting and that it wasn't on. My Gdaughter hadn't been round once in 5 days! I never heard anything either but he insisted he'd heard it quite often. We sat down and figured out that it always happened when my Gdaughter wasn't there at all! Without prompting he also told me he saw a 'man' in his back bedroom. The noise couldn't have been from another flat as his was the end of the row. We were also over a second hand car showroom so it wouldn't have come from down there. I recon it was my landlords father watching the place, and if he was as mean as his son, I'm not surprised he scared people!

Last edited:
Krepostnoi I also experience the faces behind the eyes phenomenon. I think it began in my teens and still occurs now occasionally. I also see horrible faces screaming at me against the blackness of the closed eye sheol :eek:

I came across this vid that displays a shadow that looks human in form.

George here's an experiment you might want to try. Grab a torch and object like a bottle and place the bottle in front of a plan surface such as a window with closed blinds and shine the torch behind the bottle onto the surface. What you see is a silhouette of the bottle.

What the video shows is sunlight shining behind a bush or similar sized object onto the window creating a silhouette.

I'm not sure if you're just having a laugh, and that's okay by me, or whether you're trying to make a point of how easy it is to demonstrate simulacra and how easy it can be to mistake them for something they are not. With first hand experience, I can tell you that this is nothing like the "shadow person" that I saw. It wasn't actually a shadow, or even a little vaguely like a person. It basically was a person. But, it had no physical features. So black that it felt like the space it took up was empty. I can still see that thing bending down at me, and I will never forget its touch. It was solid and not in the least bit ætherial. There was no fading of the edges at all. Actually, I have to thank you for your post because now it is helping me to define the look of what it was I have seen those times, and that event in particular.

I'm not sure if you're just having a laugh, and that's okay by me, or whether you're trying to make a point of how easy it is to demonstrate simulacra and how easy it can be to mistake them for something they are not. With first hand experience, I can tell you that this is nothing like the "shadow person" that I saw. It wasn't actually a shadow, or even a little vaguely like a person. It basically was a person. But, it had no physical features. So black that it felt like the space it took up was empty. I can still see that thing bending down at me, and I will never forget its touch. It was solid and not in the least bit ætherial. There was no fading of the edges at all. Actually, I have to thank you for your post because now it is helping me to define the look of what it was I have seen those times, and that event in particular.

No it wasnt a joke, just found it spooky looking.

ztictacgoo238.jpg

http://www.ghoststudy.com/galla2012/jun2015/ghostjun2015_1006.htm

The only time I think I've seen a shadow person (because they don't exist, right? ;)) was when I'd finished a shift at the Red Lion bar in Cromer. My friend had turned up so we could have a sesh afterwards. I distinctly saw what my brain rationalised at the time as my female boss walking past an open door way. This wasn't periphal (or however it's spelt) vision .. I was calm, happened to looking directly at that area at the time and then it walked past in front of me. The best way I think I can describe it is that if you took some mat black paper then cut the shape of a woman out of white paper then placed that over the top, the blackness was even denser than that and the figure flowed completely naturally ..

Some time before that, the same friend had tested his new phone by taking a random picture in a corner of the same bar and excitedly told me he'd photo'd a solid black human looking shape .... he accidently lost the pic scrambling around on his new phone but at the time I didn't think he was being serious .. I never got to see that pic but it was before my 'vision'

On another night he was waiting for me to let him into my onsite flat. He was watching me walk up a grand staircase from the outside through a large window and said that a solid dark body walked up at the same time behind me.

When Haunted Norfolk asked to do a convention at the place, the boss said no ... she didn't want the business to suffer through spooky stuff. She was away one night so I covertly let them wander around the place and was told I was being followed by the ghost of a dead woman who's lover had never returned from the war .. Billy, the bell boy had been her rock and that's who she still thought I was ... I hadn't told the ghostbuster anything about my previous experiences .

Years ago a friend and her boyfriend told me this story. They were living in a flat in London (in the 1990s). In the middle of the night they were both in bed but not asleep. All of a sudden my friend saw the silhouette of what she described as a Charlie Chaplin "puppet" on the door or wall (I can't remember exactly). The silhouette was moving but in profile and had the typical Charlie bowler hat. Her boyfriend saw it too and they described to each other what they were seeing. I think eventually the both fell asleep.

Years ago a friend and her boyfriend told me this story. They were living in a flat in London (in the 1990s). In the middle of the night they were both in bed but not asleep. All of a sudden my friend saw the silhouette of what she described as a Charlie Chaplin "puppet" on the door or wall (I can't remember exactly). The silhouette was moving but in profile and had the typical Charlie bowler hat. Her boyfriend saw it too and they described to each other what they were seeing. I think eventually the both fell asleep.
Did they live in Golders Green or Mill Hill?
Some orthodox Jewish people wear such hats and they wear them at all times of the day...and night.
Apologies for the stereotype thus depicted, no insult intended and so on.

Most of the descriptions sound like an old style Catholic priest wearing Cappello romano and cassock.

Krepostnoi I also experience the faces behind the eyes phenomenon. I think it began in my teens and still occurs now occasionally. I also see horrible faces screaming at me against the blackness of the closed eye sheol :eek:
Been getting that for years, got so bad I didn't want to close my eyes. Also when I was younger, if I was a bit off colour I could hear voices shouting and arguing louder and louder, freaked me out

Did anyone watch & read this education tool back in their school days?

boysp.jpg

A BBC production about a little chap who ends up stranded on earth. I mention it here because the bad guy in the story looks like a chilling "daylight" hatman.

boyfromspace.gif

Did anyone watch & read this education tool back in their school days?

boysp.jpg

A BBC production about a little chap who ends up stranded on earth. I mention it here because the bad guy in the story looks like a chilling "daylight" hatman.

boyfromspace.gif

Hes giving a royal family salute!

Good spot, George, he's obviously a pop culture archetype. You could connect him to Men in Black, sinister spies in trenchcoats during the Cold War, all sorts. No surprise he ends up in dreams, though why him and not, say, the Loch Ness Monster? Anyone ever dream about him?

Just awaking to find that bastard staring at you :eek:
That's the thing though, his posture is so similar to that of the shadowman when he'd stand over my bed. That's what freaked me out. BTW George", where'd you get this from?

That's the thing though, his posture is so similar to that of the shadowman when he'd stand over my bed. That's what freaked me out. BTW George", where'd you get this from?
George is the hatman of course! :D

From here.

Found this on that site. Awwwwwwwwwwww look at his likkle face, looks like my old pal, his name was George too X

Fx9DuCR.png

I love(like) how a certain someone on the forum likes anything of mine only when its in someone else's reply :D :D :D

Here you go Laura, a shadow being caught on CCTV and some guy who rushes to the scene of the sighting.

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/supernatural-paranormal/ghost-caught-cctv-outside-old-025505828.html
I've just re-done this post because I got it to play and before it wouldn't. To me, there's nothing here except a piece of crap stuck to the glass window of the CCTV housing. This will account for the very much out-of-focus look of the thing as wind/air currents make it move. Or it's a fly, beetle or some such other insect moving in front of the camera lens.

Last edited:
Back