• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

wyattj

Fresh Blood
Hello, I’d like to share my experience that has stayed with me my entire life. I thought I ought to have it on record before I forget it. It’s sort of long, but please bear with me.

You see, about 20 years ago, I lived on the southern peninsula of Michigan with my dad and my little brother. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. We were a happy family, no arguments or scuffles, just a regular family. But one day my father came back from work late. He did this sometimes, and he’d tell me on the phone, “take care of our brother, alright little man.” I had decided to surprise him when he came back by doing a favor, so I set out to water our small garden in the backyard. It was a sunny and dry day. I headed over to the shed where we kept the watering can, started to unlock the lock on the door, and stopped when I heard the loudest thump coming from the inside of the shed. I immediately jumped and ran back inside, locking the door behind. Proceeding cautiously, I made sure my brother was still doing whatever he was doing (probably playing with toys, I don't remember), and called my father. Upon answering, I could hear my dad breathing heavily until he hung up seconds after. Suddenly I heard another knock but was relieved to have figured out it was my dad at the front door. I opened it trying to tell him what had happened outside at the shed, but he interrupted me breathlessly, “Not now,” he said. I immediately forgot about the shed incident and asked him what had happened. He had never acted like this before. He responded with, “I saw… something on the road.” By that time, I was real spooked, as my dad opened a beer, I went upstairs and just stayed in my room.

The next day, my dad went to work again, saying ‘have a nice day’ as if nothing had happened. I once again made sure my brother didn't see me, and made my way outside. This time armed with my trusty swiss army knife and a flashlight (the inside of my shed had no lights). I still remember this moment clearly, approaching the shed and realizing something had changed. The door was open and swinging in the wind, and the half opened lock had been broken. I slowly went over to investigate the inside. No sound came from the shed, except the creaking of the door. With the flashlight on, I started to see the wooden floors of the shed. I saw nothing; the lawn mower was still there, the watering can, everything was in its place. Except for one thing. The grill, which we had recently used, had fallen over. I lifted it back up, and underneath, there were long, deep scratch marks on the wood that had definitely never been there before. I was really scared at the point, so I pushed the grill back in its place, only to pull my hand back in disgust, as I discovered parts of the grill were wet. Like something had licked it, spit on it, or even worse, peed on it. It was at that moment when I heard scratching noises from underneath the floorboards. Even today, it doesn’t make any sense; after all there was no crawl space underneath this small shed. Strange. Anyway, I got so scared I ran out of the shed, screaming. As I was running, I could hear a scream similar to mine, but two or three octaves lower. It was a deep and rich sound but strangely out of tune (I don’t know how to describe it). My reflexes betrayed me and I looked back as I was running and that is when I saw it. A creature running out of my shed, slightly smaller than an adult, completely naked, with an arched back and pale white skin. It looked back at me for a split second, and I spotted HUGE eyes staring at me. They were regular eyes, but I didn’t see any pupils, perhaps there were none. I’d say the eyes were about 2-3 inches in diameter. With tremendous agility (somehow with that bad back), it jumped straight over my fence and disappeared into the woods behind my house. I looked back and ran back inside.
After this experience, I never told my father what I saw. I didn’t want to freak him out, especially because he was very stressed. I don’t know if him seeing something on the road was connected to the shed incident, but it all seems like a freakish coincidence. Everything remained normal afterward. However, I experienced a lot of nightmares relating to this creature. After my father died, I moved multiple times to different places. Hopefully I will never see this thing again.

I hope you found my story interesting. If you have any explanations, please feel free to reply because by this experience, I am truly baffled.

A creature running out of my shed, slightly smaller than an adult, completely naked, with an arched back and pale white skin.
Did it look male or female, or indeterminate? When you say naked, could it have been a tight-fitting all in one suit?

Did it look male or female, or indeterminate? When you say naked, could it have been a tight-fitting all in one suit?
It was too far away to tell the gender; in addition I could only see its butt cheeks in that area. Perhaps it was a suit, but I think I would have noticed if it was wearing an almost white suit. Also, why one Earth would someone be wearing a tight fitting suit and hanging out in my shed? To scare me maybe..? Idk

Wyattj:

(1) Welcome to the forum, and that's a fascinating story ...

(2) On the first day, were you phoning your father via his cellphone? That's the only scenario that would seem to match the apparent timeline of events.

(3) Did you get a chance to mention the first day's thumping to your father before he left for work the following morning? I would have expected you, your father and your brother had eaten dinner after your father calmed down. Or? ...

(4) Whether or not you'd advised your father about the first day's thumping, did he go out to the shed (or might he have done so) prior to leaving the next morning?

(5) Was the lock on the shed door built into the door, or was it a padlock? My impression is that it was probably a padlock.

(6) In any case ... Can you be more specific as to how far you'd gotten in unlocking / unlatching / disabling the lock before you bolted back to the house? You mentioned having stopped and run away while unlocking it, but you described it later as "half opened." I'm confused about the state of the lock the following morning and how different its morning state was compared to how you'd left it when you ran back into the house..

(7) I notice you've added an avatar showing a small shed. Is the shed in your avatar the same shed involved in this incident?

Wyattj:

(1) Welcome to the forum, and that's a fascinating story ...

(2) On the first day, were you phoning your father via his cellphone? That's the only scenario that would seem to match the apparent timeline of events.

(3) Did you get a chance to mention the first day's thumping to your father before he left for work the following morning? I would have expected you, your father and your brother had eaten dinner after your father calmed down. Or? ...

(4) Whether or not you'd advised your father about the first day's thumping, did he go out to the shed (or might he have done so) prior to leaving the next morning?

(5) Was the lock on the shed door built into the door, or was it a padlock? My impression is that it was probably a padlock.

(6) In any case ... Can you be more specific as to how far you'd gotten in unlocking / unlatching / disabling the lock before you bolted back to the house? You mentioned having stopped and run away while unlocking it, but you described it later as "half opened." I'm confused about the state of the lock the following morning and how different its morning state was compared to how you'd left it when you ran back into the house..

(7) I notice you've added an avatar showing a small shed. Is the shed in your avatar the same shed involved in this incident?

(1) Thank you sir!

(2) Yes, I was phoning him from our landline to his cellphone.

(3) I'm not completely sure about the rest of the evening, and for that reason didn't include that in my post. But he probably cooked some leftovers up, and let me and my brother ate alone. He had this weird habit of eating very late at night when he came home from work. I do, however, remember that I never told him about the thump from the shed that evening. I would have remembered that.

(4) No, I did not advise him and he therefore he did not have any reason to check it. However, I do recall that after the day when the creature escaped, my father had closed the shed and re-done the lock, probably assuming I left it open.

(5) The shed had a lock similar to this one with the padlock and all: https://diygarden.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/shed-lock.jpg

(6) When I "half unlocked" the lock, I unlocked the padlock, but didn't remove it from the built in mechanism shown in the image. I'm guessing during the night, the creature managed to jingle the padlock off and successfully open the door. If the door had been open since the night, I have no idea why the creature had stayed in the shed. Perhaps it had opened it just before I arrived. Sorry if the wording was confusing.

(7) No, its just a shed off of google images. I'm a newbie to forums, I just wanted my profile pic to relate to the thread.

A creature running out of my shed, slightly smaller than an adult, completely naked, with an arched back and pale white skin. It looked back at me for a split second, and I spotted HUGE eyes staring at me. They were regular eyes, but I didn’t see any pupils, perhaps there were none. I’d say the eyes were about 2-3 inches in diameter. With tremendous agility (somehow with that bad back), it jumped straight over my fence...

A fascinating account, wyattj.

Just to clarify, am l correct in assuming that the entity ran on two legs, like a human being?

lf it ran on all fours, my only guess might be that it was a coyote suffering from bad mange:

iu

maximus otter

Welcome wyattj.

Just one question. Who was caring for your and your brother while your father worked? I presume he had someone watching out for you both if you were home all day whilst he was at work? Or did he leave you in charge of your brother? If he did, did you have a very heightened sense of responsibility and 'need to keep everyone safe'? I note you went out to the shed with a knife...

The coyote with mange theory would be mine too. Explains why the grill was wet, the poor creature was starving and desperate for any taste of food. Did the shed have an earth floor so a sick animal could have dug its way in and then not been able to get out?

Thanks for the clarifications.

One more thing ... Did your father ever explain or give any more details about what he'd seen on the road?
No he did not. Thinking back to it, it might well have been a coincidence in relation to the shed. But I don't ever remember him mentioning such an incident on the trip back from work. The timing seems eerie.

Welcome wyattj.

Just one question. Who was caring for your and your brother while your father worked? I presume he had someone watching out for you both if you were home all day whilst he was at work? Or did he leave you in charge of your brother? If he did, did you have a very heightened sense of responsibility and 'need to keep everyone safe'? I note you went out to the shed with a knife...

The coyote with mange theory would be mine too. Explains why the grill was wet, the poor creature was starving and desperate for any taste of food. Did the shed have an earth floor so a sick animal could have dug its way in and then not been able to get out?
My father left me in charge of my brother. The next day, yes, I foolishly went out to the shed alone with a knife. As I mentioned, I was 9 or 10, so I felt I had this responsibility that I had to do something. My father always told us to be safe and he taught us well, that was the first time I really wanted to do something by myself.

Perhaps the mange coyote theory explains this, but there were wooden floors and no way for the animal to have come inside. I do, however, agree that something was probably licking the grill, tasting the flavor on it. Back in the day, my dad and I would grill together often.

A fascinating account, wyattj.

Just to clarify, am l correct in assuming that the entity ran on two legs, like a human being?

lf it ran on all fours, my only guess might be that it was a coyote suffering from bad mange:

iu

maximus otter
Yes, the creature ran on two legs. And it was definitely bigger than a coyote. It did have an arched back though. Strange, considering it could cleanly jump the fence with such agility.

Wyatt, I enjoyed your story and this goes in a category of its own. I too grew up in Michigan, I'm around your age and have had all sorts of weird things happen there in northern Michigan. Mind if I ask which county this took place in?

Yes, the creature ran on two legs. And it was definitely bigger than a coyote. It did have an arched back though. Strange, considering it could cleanly jump the fence with such agility.

There are some parallels to the manwolf, or dogman which is often reported to walk on two legs and hurdles fences as high as 10 feet if I'm not mistaken.

Dogmen have been spotted in Michigan since the 1950s. Linda Godfrey is worth checking out if people are interested in the subject.

I second that! Linda is a personal friend and I've met several others who've claimed to have seen these. The witnesses are dead serious and everything I know leads me to believe whole heartedly that it's real. However, despite the parallels, the pale white skin Wyatt described does not jive well with other reports. I think he saw something different all together. A rake or banshee perhaps?

... Is a rake a thing or is it an autocorrect-being-helpful-dammit wraith?

I haven't (yet) located any reference to a paranormal "thing" labeled a "rake."

It might be derived from lore concerning how wraiths "feed" ...

In order to feed, the wraith must become a corporeal manifestation to touch its victim and drain their life force. Each touch transfers some life force into the spirit. In some cases, they rake the victim with their sharp skeletal hands. The wraith can then drain the victim’s essence as they bleed out. It doesn’t need to touch the person again.

Victims report they feel a numbing cold when the wraith touches them. If raked, they don’t feel sharp pain, but fall unconscious in seconds. Sometimes, a wraith will grab a victim by the neck and they feel something sucking on their head.

https://www.ghostlyactivities.com/wraiths-soul-sucking-spirits-spell/

There are 2 videos about "The Rake" available at this paranormal site:

https://strangebuttruestories.org/?s=rake

brilliant! thank you both - I'm glad I asked :)

IMO the rake in the videos is fake, fake, fake!
Consider how bored people can get when they're growing up in an out of the way place, especially if they are creative and energetic.
It would be loads of fun to go out in the woods at night, dressed up and with a buddy who has a heat sensing camera, and just go wild.

IMO the rake in the videos is fake, fake, fake!
Consider how bored people can get when they're growing up in an out of the way place, especially if they are creative and energetic.
It would be loads of fun to go out in the woods at night, dressed up and with a buddy who has a heat sensing camera, and just go wild.
That's the situation with all paranormal videos. Often they can't be proven either way, but you will know most of them must be fakes.

Sounds a bit like the " rake" creature too. Too pale for a Dogman.

Sounds a bit like the " rake" creature too. Too pale for a Dogman.
Yes, and it didn't have any visible hair as far as I could tell. So yes, unless it had hair loss problems, it definitely wasn't a dogman. That is strange, considering it gets quite chilly in Michigan in the winter. As for the 'rake', the creature I saw strongly resembled one of the most famous fake pictures of the rake. Shown in the photo, it also has huge white eyes, no visible pupils, and a humanoid body. Although the photo has been proven to be fictitious, it creates a pretty accurate representation of what I saw.
rake.jpg

I want to be very sensitive when I ask this questions so no offence intended and here goes:

Do you think it is possible that your Dad was holding someone against their will in the shed? How often were you in the shed? Were you allowed there or had it been off limits for a while? Had he dug a hide hole under the shed floor?

The thought occurred to me that the noise, the heavy breathing of your father and his hurried return and then beer and silence could all be accounted for by some sort of aggressive struggle. The pale skinned, wide eyed, emaciated person you saw may have been the terrified captive blinking out into the sunlight, unsure of where to run to before finally vaulting to safety.

I know that's a strange and serious thing to ask and I am not accusing your father of anything untoward, it's just that I read a lot of Sherlock Holmes and this solution seems like something that would fit the initial consultaion.

Another thing I thought of was maybe your Dad wasn't working late those few times but he was in the shed with a lady friend having some adult fun. He maybe, accidentally of course, hit the answer button when you called him? Hence his heavy breathing and then hurried/harrassed return to the house. But you mention that the padlock was locked as you approached so I don't think that's the answer either.

Likewise, it's not possible that your Dad was in the shed alone and made the noise you heard (on the first visit) as the door was locked from the outside. He wouldn't be the first man to hide in a shed instead of going to work but maybe that's not it either.

Having sexy times or just hiding doesn't explain what you say the day after.

Whatever you saw could be explained in a few ways if it wasn't, as you remember, a strange "rake" like creature. When I was younger I convinced myself that I saw an evil goblin standing in some bushes looking at me. It wasn't just any old goblin, it was a goblin I had seen in a movie. I can see it clear in my head now as if I were there looking at it now. It terrified me so much that I ran home. I even saw it move. Yet it is a false memory. I saw some bushes move and my brain added a goblin (for some reason).

It could have been a sick animal but I don't know. It sounds like a real 3 pipe mystery.

I know that's a strange and serious thing to ask and I am not accusing your father of anything untoward
No, just your garden-variety kidnapping, imprisoning, and starving lol.

Kudos Ringo for digging deep for a sensible explanation, but it doesnt fit with wyattj’s original report. He says he went into the shed, it was empty, the grill was turned over and wet, there were noises from under the floor, he got scared and exited and turned around to see the screaming creature leaving the shed. So either the thing was immaterial while wyattj was in the shed, or it popped into existence immediately thereafter, or wyattj hallucinated it, or he’s bullshitting us entirely (just dispassionately listing the logical alternatives here, assuming the accuracy of the report). An imprisoned kidnap victim, or a secret paramour, doesn’t fit any of the alternatives. As an experiencer of equally impossible though admittedly not quite so terrifying phenomena, I have learned to just enjoy the incredibility of the report for its own sake and despair of any rational explanation.

Another thing that doesn't seem consistent with the "captive" scenario is that on the second day wyattj found the lock broken and the shed door open.

Why would an imprisoned person remain inside the shed if the door was open?

Furthermore ...

If wyattj was rummaging around inside the opened shed, how could he have missed the mystery entity if it had been inside the shed with him?

The scratching that freaked out young wyattj was described as coming from beneath the shed's floor. The figure / entity he saw was described as emerging from the shed.

This would seem to indicate the figure / entity was either inside the shed with wyattj or it somehow emerged into the shed's interior from beneath the floor.

Back