• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Shit Thread: Excremental Discussion

Someone did the opposite at a supermarket where I briefly worked. There had been a spillage of cat litter from a damaged bag so they swept it up and put it in a litter tray. Then they bought a chocolate bar, stuck it in the canteen microwave and placed the gooey, lumpy mess on top of the litter for the day shift to find.
I remember reading of a tremendous prank played by some squaddies. It's FOAF to the power of N, so requires a big pinch of salt, but anyway: the devil makes work for idle hands, so our heroes have been set to work cleaning the barracks. Here comes the sergeant to inspect the results, and he is predictably horrified by the horrid brown streak in one of the toilet bowls. Somewhat rhetorically, he asks what it is, at which one of the squaddies scoops some up on his finger and licks it. "It's chocolate, sergeant." The NCO is tickled by this, and resolves they should do it again when the platoon commander does his rounds. It all plays out the same way, although this time its the NCO who does the scooping. Oh, and this time the streak isn't chocolate...

Nothing wrong with a tuna sandwich.

He will forever be poo-na sandwich boy.

Her eyebrows are quite something.
The poo seems incidental to this No.2 tale. The really awful news is that she has No.4 in the oven! :yellowc:

C'mon her appearance and reproductive state have nothing to do with the allegation they left her child hungry, which I suspect is true (yeah I know it's not the end of the world).

This thread seems the appropriate place to turn the tables and switch from chatting about your shitting and your shit to considering what your shit says about you ...

This recently published Australian study analyzed sewage from selected neighborhoods and communities to see if there were epidemiological and / or demographic correlations between categories of shitters and chemical profiles of their shit. There were ...
There's a Depressing Difference Between The Sewage of Wealthy Areas And Poorer Ones

Differences in lifestyles between socioeconomic groups are pretty pronounced. And now scientists have found a depressing new marker. Hidden in the sewage lies a clear difference between wealthy areas and poorer ones.

No, it's not gold in sewage this time. It's the remnants of the food we eat and the drugs we take that can paint a broader picture of how we live.

The study took place in Australia, where, over the course of the week of the national census in 2016, samples were taken from 22 wastewater treatment plant catchments, and examined for 42 biomarkers of things such as drugs and dietary metabolites.

These were later compared with census data on metrics such as rent prices, employment and education levels for each area.

"We show the extent to which consumption of chemicals such as opioids and illicit drugs are associated with sociodemographics. We also examine chemicals that reflect individuals' consumption of food components in wastewater and show that disparities in diet are associated with educational level," the researchers write in their paper.

"Our study shows that chemicals in wastewater reflect the social, demographic, and economic properties of the respective populations and highlights the potential value of wastewater in studying the sociodemographic determinants of population health."

What they found is sobering. ...
FULL STORY:
https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-can-now-distinguish-wealthy-areas-by-looking-at-your-sewage

THE PUBLISHED RESEARCH REPORT:
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/10/01/1910242116

So after reading the article, one of my questions is:
If the shit is collected collectively from wastewater treatment plants, how is it specifically determined that "They were even able to link demographics with specific types of antidepressants. A higher proportion of labourers were prescribed desvenlafaxine. Amitriptyline was most often prescribed to people who didn't finish high school. And people taking citalopram tended to live alone, and were often separated or divorced"?

A little too specific for an article that supposedly studied wastewater from treatment plants.

So after reading the article, one of my questions is:
If the shit is collected collectively from wastewater treatment plants, how is it specifically determined that "They were even able to link demographics with specific types of antidepressants. A higher proportion of labourers were prescribed desvenlafaxine. Amitriptyline was most often prescribed to people who didn't finish high school. And people taking citalopram tended to live alone, and were often separated or divorced"?

A little too specific for an article that supposedly studied wastewater from treatment plants.

The sources for their samples were chosen so as to represent sewage from a community or neighborhood circumscribed with respect to reasonably specific demographics.

In large municipalities with only one or a few centralized treatment plants, there may still be intermediate (e.g.) pumping stations, inspection nodes, or preliminary treatment facilities from which samples could be taken allowing greater discrimination as to their source.

Yes, I see that they have used demographic data and collected the samples from known demographic areas. My question involves the idea that they know specific drugs taken specifically by uneducated, or laborers, or people who are separated/divorced. That seems a little OTT for me, but maybe I'm naive about what personal info is out there.

My government might have stats on income, housing and marital status, so that info would be available. But where would the info about medications linking people to marital, educational and employment status come from? I don't recall ever doing a census or survey asking what meds I take vs my education or marital status.

Unless the researchers themselves sent out a questionnaire. And why would the drug info, as presented in the article be relevant? It only refers to possibly less wealthy people. That specific observation seems biased to me, as it is worded. I'm sure wealthy people take medications as well for health problems.

Just me questioning how details are presented. I'm not necessarily expecting answers.

Yes, I see that they have used demographic data and collected the samples from known demographic areas. My question involves the idea that they know specific drugs taken specifically by uneducated, or laborers, or people who are separated/divorced. That seems a little OTT for me, but maybe I'm naive about what personal info is out there. ...

I presume the evidence for the medications taken didn't come from census (etc.) records but from the sewage itself. I don't know for sure, but that's what I figured must be the explanation.

Was there ever a follow up story/conclusion to that UK drug dealer in police custody who'd swallowed his stash and refused to poo it out for an amazingly long and dangerous amount of time ? .. as futile folk heroes go, he was pretty high up the dumb criminal list ..

Was there ever a follow up story/conclusion to that UK drug dealer in police custody who'd swallowed his stash and refused to poo it out for an amazingly long and dangerous amount of time ? .. as futile folk heroes go, he was pretty high up the dumb criminal list ..

He made it 47 days without pooing, and when he finally "released" there was no indication he'd swallowed any contraband.
The real story behind the suspected drug dealer who spent 47 days in police custody without pooing

A suspected drug dealer who did not have a bowel movement in 47 days was released today (march 7) and admitted to hospital.

Lamarr Chambers, 24, of Villa Road, Brixton, London was arrested on Wednesday, January 17, after the car he was in was stopped in Harlow.

He appeared before a court a day later on suspicion of swallowing drugs and on a further seven occasions under the charge of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs and driving matters.

During that period court ordered the detention of Mr Chambers so he could pass the drugs police believed were inside him under supervision.

Staggeringly, after 47 days in custody, Mr Chambers did not empty his bowels, reports Essex Live and today it was announced all charges have been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

Following treatment today he has since been rearrested on suspicion of being 'concerned in the supply of a Class A drug' and has been released on bail.

Throughout his 47 day detention his bowel movements captured a nation's attention, as many speculated how it were possible to sustain such a prolonged toilet strike.

In the process Chambers has smashed the British record for being in police custody the longest without pooing. ...

FULL STORY (WITH DETAILED TIMELINE):
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/poo-47-drugs-chambers-lamarr-14381908

What sort of weirdo measures the length of their kid's poo anyway Phooty .. ffs
What sort of weirdo measures the length of their kid's poo anyway Phooty .. ffs

That's pushy parents for you. "Your Damien might be captain of the hockey team and the top maths pupil but my Reg can squeeze out a log the size of his forearm."

Nice one mum, I'm sure nobody will ever make funny comments to your son about this
Mum pulls kid out of school because he was given tuna sandwich after long poo

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...8qDkFBr7tBo_zN6kvxS04wLpoCu9f0ILhL_8nB33rSlOs
.. important poo-gate UPDATE! ... the lad turned down Shepard's Pie before refusing the tuna sandwich .. Mum was lied to by the boy but she's finally got to the bottom of it all ..

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/parenting/truth-boy-who-pulled-out-17098752

Egad! I think we need the FBI, CSIS and M15 on this to investigate further. The world is in turmoil!

One of my main reasons for advocating an evolutionary upgrade to androids instead of biological bodies is almost all biologicals follow the same ingest, digest, excrete paradigm.

But while being stuck in a biological form why not take full advantage of its potentials.

For example if you have been on internet forums long enough you have probably noticed that between a few good ideas there is a lot of BS - In fact the amount of
BS being produced by the Human race as a whole is probably millions of tons per day - What a waste of waste, so to speak. Especially when you consider:

Scientists Say They Can Turn Human Poop Into Fuel

"Scientists claim to have shown that human waste can be used as a fuel safely, which could make it a viable source of fuel in certain countries.
Published in the Journal of Cleaner Production, the study was led by the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) in Israel. Using a pressure cooker, the team said they were able to convert excrement into hydrochar, a safe and reusable biomass fuel that resembles charcoal........."
Quote source:
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/scientists-say-they-can-turn-human-poop-into-fuel/

Think about all the sewage going to processing plants where they could be safely converted into a fuel source now going to waste {pun intended}.

Bad enough being stuck in an inefficient biological body - Why not make full use
of it ???

One of my main reasons for advocating an evolutionary upgrade to androids instead of biological bodies is almost all biologicals follow the same ingest, digest, excrete paradigm.

But while being stuck in a biological form why not take full advantage of its potentials.

For example if you have been on internet forums long enough you have probably noticed that between a few good ideas there is a lot of BS - In fact the amount of
BS being produced by the Human race as a whole is probably millions of tons per day - What a waste of waste, so to speak. Especially when you consider:

Scientists Say They Can Turn Human Poop Into Fuel

"Scientists claim to have shown that human waste can be used as a fuel safely, which could make it a viable source of fuel in certain countries.
Published in the Journal of Cleaner Production, the study was led by the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) in Israel. Using a pressure cooker, the team said they were able to convert excrement into hydrochar, a safe and reusable biomass fuel that resembles charcoal........."
Quote source:
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/scientists-say-they-can-turn-human-poop-into-fuel/

Think about all the sewage going to processing plants where they could be safely converted into a fuel source now going to waste {pun intended}.

Bad enough being stuck in an inefficient biological body - Why not make full use
of it ???
Old ideas are new again?

I could have sworn this Japanese museum exhibition had been mentioned before, but I can't find any trace of it ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/c7be109d7ce84db2aba7eddc3fc8a854

It’s been just over a year since Japan opened a pop-up museum dedicated to all things poop in Yokohama, in Tokyo’s neighbouring Kanagawa Prefecture. Called the Unko Museum (literally “Poo Museum”), the pop-up proved to be so successful that it even slid into Tokyo afterwards, where it attracted crowds of turd lovers…until COVID-19 showed up in the capital, causing the facility to close its doors as a safety precaution.

However, where one sphincter closes, another opens, and for the Unko Museum that means the Internet has opened up a new portal for the “Max Unko Kawaii” extravaganza to be delivered to the poop-loving public.

Starting from 1 May, select displays from the museum of poo will be available to view online, as part of the country’s “Stay Home Week” initiative designed to keep people indoors during the Golden Week holiday period that runs from 29 April to 6 May.

https://soranews24.com/2020/04/27/j...irtual-fun-worldwide-during-stay-home-period/

It’s been just over a year since Japan opened a pop-up museum dedicated to all things poop in Yokohama, in Tokyo’s neighbouring Kanagawa Prefecture. Called the Unko Museum (literally “Poo Museum”), the pop-up proved to be so successful that it even slid into Tokyo afterwards, where it attracted crowds of turd lovers…until COVID-19 showed up in the capital, causing the facility to close its doors as a safety precaution.

However, where one sphincter closes, another opens, and for the Unko Museum that means the Internet has opened up a new portal for the “Max Unko Kawaii” extravaganza to be delivered to the poop-loving public.

Starting from 1 May, select displays from the museum of poo will be available to view online, as part of the country’s “Stay Home Week” initiative designed to keep people indoors during the Golden Week holiday period that runs from 29 April to 6 May.

https://soranews24.com/2020/04/27/j...irtual-fun-worldwide-during-stay-home-period/

Japan has some very odd museums, so this does not surprise me in the slightest.

I suppose this could also go into the Fortean Headlines thread, but for the moment, this looks like a good enough home.

Man traps poo jogger behind his shop
A poo jogger has been caught in the act when he was captured on CCTV out the back of another man’s shop, then forced to clean up his own mess.

A video mounted on a wall outside the back of the shop shows a grey rubbish skip behind the shop and a small gap between it and a brick wall.
Posted on @witzhappening under the take “caught a belter n forced to carry it with him”, the video shows the man hide between the skip and the wall.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...p/news-story/e4f6d437ca708e9f451be4c29cf9b5e0

Back