• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sound Of Silence?

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Interesting report on BBC Radio earlier today.

Given that the internal combustion engine is living on borrowed time, wholesale moves towards electric vehicles seem inevitable.

It has, however, been noted that a 12 tonne, virtually silent bus is a huge safety hazard. Even the 2-tonne Tesla, which passed me in spooky silence yesterday, is potentially lethal.

Moves are therefore afoot to investigate whether some sort of artificial soundtrack should be compulsory with electric vehicles.

A recording of conventional engine noise is the obvious notion, but other sounds being investigated are rushing wind sounds, bird song and even tubular bell-style chimes.

Will a driver have a choice of what "ring tone" to select for their vehicle?

Will this result in a cacophony on the high street every bit as noisy as today?

I heard a BBC report about that recently, where some inventor/composer was putting forward various sounds for vehicles. Pedestrians are supposed to be looking before they cross but cyclists rely a lot on hearing too.

The thought of walking or cycling on country roads where you can't hear vehicles approaching is quite scary.

I heard a BBC report about that recently, where some inventor/composer was putting forward various sounds for vehicles. Pedestrians are supposed to be looking before they cross but cyclists rely a lot on hearing too.

The thought of walking or cycling on country roads where you can't hear vehicles approaching is quite scary.

Agreed.
But what sort of sound is the question. I suspect a soundtrack resembling a conventional engine will be the way forward as, something more radical like wind chimes would drive you batty on a long drive.
But even then, I would expect prestige car manufacturers to want to differentiate their vehicles from budget-priced cars.
Presumably also the sound should increase in volume/pitch as a function of vehicle speed.
There's a lot to consider here but you can bet that the first pedestrian casualties under the wheels of a speeding silent Tesla or similar vehicle will hasten the introduction of vehicle soundtracks.

Agreed.
But what sort of sound is the question. I suspect a soundtrack resembling a conventional engine will be the way forward as, something more radical like wind chimes would drive you batty on a long drive.
But even then, I would expect prestige car manufacturers to want to differentiate their vehicles from budget-priced cars.
Presumably also the sound should increase in volume/pitch as a function of vehicle speed.
There's a lot to consider here but you can bet that the first pedestrian casualties under the wheels of a speeding silent Tesla or similar vehicle will hasten the introduction of vehicle soundtracks.

All good points. Cyclists will be decimated first though as you can't always be looking behind you. Poorly maintained roads are uneven at the edges so cyclists and motorcyclists move to the middle to avoid potholes. That's when you're listening hard for approaching vehicles. If you can't hear one you'll be splattered.

...the internal combustion engine is living on borrowed time...

...whether some sort of artificial soundtrack should be compulsory with electric vehicles.

I think that reports of its demise are extremely premature. ;)

Given that electric car ownership indicates wealth and virtue-signalling, perhaps a tape loop of Harry Enfield announcing “I can’t help noticing that I'm considerably richer than yow.” Or, considering their propensity to auto-ignition, maybe just the sound of crackling flames, screams and sirens, accompanied by the smell of roasting pork.

maximus otter

I think that reports of its demise are extremely premature. ;)

Given that electric car ownership indicates wealth and virtue-signalling, perhaps a tape loop of Harry Enfield announcing “I can’t help noticing that I'm considerably richer than yow.” Or, considering their propensity to auto-ignition, maybe just the sound of crackling flames, screams and sirens, accompanied by the smell of roasting pork.

maximus otter

Oxford is the first major UK town planning to ban petrol and diesel vehicles from 2020. That's a mere 14 months away and several businesses have complained they won't be ready or simply cannot afford to switch to all electric vehicles:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-ban-petrol-diesel-vehicles-world-first-zero-emissions-zone-a7995706.html?amp

Oxford is the first major UK town planning to ban petrol and diesel vehicles from 2020. That's a mere 15 months away...

“...the five priorities for the city:

A Vibrant, Sustainable Economy
Our ambition: A smart and entrepreneurial city with a thriving local economy supported by improved infrastructure, training and skills.

Meeting Housing Needs
Our ambition: Improving Oxford residents’ access to affordable and high-quality homes in good environments that are close to jobs and facilities.

Strong and Active Communities
Our ambition: Socially cohesive and safe communities.

A clean and green Oxford
Our ambition: An attractive and clean city that minimises its environmental impact by cutting carbon, waste and pollution.

An Efficient and Effective Council
Our ambition: A customer-focused organisation, delivering efficient, high-quality services that meet people’s needs.”

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20083/policies_and_strategies/864/policies_plans_and_strategies

Also two unicorns in every pot and a landing strip for every airborne pig. It’ll all happen, as sure as I’m standing on this camel! Everyone click the heels of your ruby slippers!

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

Interesting report on BBC Radio earlier today.

Given that the internal combustion engine is living on borrowed time, wholesale moves towards electric vehicles seem inevitable.

It has, however, been noted that a 12 tonne, virtually silent bus is a huge safety hazard. Even the 2-tonne Tesla, which passed me in spooky silence yesterday, is potentially lethal.

Moves are therefore afoot to investigate whether some sort of artificial soundtrack should be compulsory with electric vehicles.

A recording of conventional engine noise is the obvious notion, but other sounds being investigated are rushing wind sounds, bird song and even tubular bell-style chimes.

Will a driver have a choice of what "ring tone" to select for their vehicle?

Will this result in a cacophony on the high street every bit as noisy as today?
The Mrs recommends a Janet Street Porter "GET AAHT THE WAY" sound.

I'd have the La La La guy as mine ..

“...the five priorities for the city:

A Vibrant, Sustainable Economy
Our ambition: A smart and entrepreneurial city with a thriving local economy supported by improved infrastructure, training and skills.

Meeting Housing Needs
Our ambition: Improving Oxford residents’ access to affordable and high-quality homes in good environments that are close to jobs and facilities.

Strong and Active Communities
Our ambition: Socially cohesive and safe communities.

A clean and green Oxford
Our ambition: An attractive and clean city that minimises its environmental impact by cutting carbon, waste and pollution.

An Efficient and Effective Council
Our ambition: A customer-focused organisation, delivering efficient, high-quality services that meet people’s needs.”

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20083/policies_and_strategies/864/policies_plans_and_strategies

Also two unicorns in every pot and a landing strip for every airborne pig. It’ll all happen, as sure as I’m standing on this camel! Everyone click the heels of your ruby slippers!

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
But won't that stop people who can't afford electric cars going into Oxfo - oh, wait.

But won't that stop people who can't afford electric cars going into Oxfo - oh, wait.
Sure, they really don't mind if the local economy grinds to a halt because of staff shortages. All the lower-paid workers will move away.

Edit: If that happened, most companies would move out of Oxford (if they had any sense).
Cambridge is the same (nutters).

Last edited:
Sure, they really don't mind if the local economy grinds to a halt because of staff shortages. All the lower-paid workers will move away.
A while ago there was a problem finding bus drivers in Oxford because people on a bus driver's salary can't afford to live in Oxford.

A while ago there was a problem finding bus drivers in Oxford because people on a bus driver's salary can't afford to live in Oxford.

Whereas tram drivers are extremely well-paid - comparable to train drivers at around £50,000 per annum n the UK.

To link this back to the whole noise thing, I took the tram in Prague recently and noticed that it seemed to be down to the driver to ring a bell (real bell on older style trams and electronic bell on the new generation) when the tram was approaching a stop or there were people in the road.

Whereas tram drivers are extremely well-paid - comparable to train drivers at around £50,000 per annum n the UK.

To link this back to the whole noise thing, I took the tram in Prague recently and noticed that it seemed to be down to the driver to ring a bell (real bell on older style trams and electronic bell on the new generation) when the tram was approaching a stop or there were people in the road.
In Hong Kong the trams are commonly called "ding ding"s for this reason (it also sounds a bit like the Cantonese word for 'tram', 'din che').

Prague trams're awesome.Yup, in cities that've had trams for forever pedestrians are used to them and know to look out for them. Where they've been reintroduced, as in Manchester, people have to remember to listen for them.

When I lived in Hungary my bedroom was next to a tram jump on the main route out of their depot. Trams started running at 4am. I heard every one set off!

The Mrs recommends a Janet Street Porter "GET AAHT THE WAY" sound.

I'd have the La La La guy as mine ..

Be aware Swifty that this is also known as the TROLLOLO guy, and people use him to troll each other.
This is best demonstrated in the awesome epic movie "The Twin Towers" by Michael Jackson:

Be aware Swifty that this is also known as the TROLLOLO guy, and people use him to troll each other.
This is best demonstrated in the awesome epic movie "The Twin Towers" by Michael Jackson:
I thought he went under a different name, I just couldn't remember it, cheers ..

Michael Jackson? Hee hee!

It's all very well making silent vehicles noisier - I can see the point.

We will still run over all the f'wits with headphones on. Especially those with big, showy headphones that scream f'wit loud and clear! :evillaugh:

Last edited:
Back