• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 'Sovereign Citizens' Movement

I don't see anything that says the card is fake, only that it's "not recognized as valid by the government." It appears the Maipuri Arauan Nation (whatever that is) is issuing such cards. Here's a facebook post, and there are sample cards, which I have reduced to post here:
164742865_2999958493620621_1319685992259892717_ns.jpg

165235696_2999958730287264_7876766905017268526_ns.jpg

I don't see anything that says the card is fake, only that it's "not recognized as valid by the government." It appears the Maipuri Arauan Nation (whatever that is) is issuing such cards. Here's a facebook post, and there are sample cards, which I have reduced to post here:
View attachment 42287
View attachment 42288
That is a bit like saying 'the man from Taurads' passport was not a fake because he made it up, along with the country, these are not genuine identity cards by law because the nation/tribe or whatever isnt recognised as a genuine thing by law, therefore, no matter how professionally produced it is, its fake, i could go on MS Pro Paint and knock up a professional looking ID card with some made up nation, lots of official looking alpha numeric codes and some stamps on it and get it run off at a card making bureau, its still fake.

View attachment 42287
View attachment 42288

On the occasion that I ran into a "sovereign citizen" I checked her tax claims. Under IRS code there is such a designation. It is restricted to certain residents of US territory Pacific Islands who have some income exempt from US taxation. It has no relation to members of of US Native American or Canadian First Nation tribes (all of whom may have US earnings that are subject to regular US taxes.) I suspect that they don't have "membership cards" but that their ss cards (which in the US are almost never required to be shared) are specially numbered. Interesting to see that there is a Maori membership card.

...these are not genuine identity cards by law because the nation/tribe or whatever isnt recognised as a genuine thing by law...

I agree from a practical point of view, but one could argue that the U.S. Declaration of Independence was "fake" because, by law, no outside government recognized the United States of America as a genuine thing.

I find the "I'm a member of an indigenous tribal nation and am not bound by your laws" argument slightly more sound than the sovereign citizen argument, and in some cases much more sound, but I do think that in this particular case, something like an organized sovereign citizen attitude is involved. On the other hand, if enough people agree that they are members of a distinct nation with historical roots, maybe they have something there.

I agree from a practical point of view, but one could argue that the U.S. Declaration of Independence was "fake" because, by law, no outside government recognized the United States of America as a genuine thing.

I find the "I'm a member of an indigenous tribal nation and am not bound by your laws" argument slightly more sound than the sovereign citizen argument, and in some cases much more sound, but I do think that in this particular case, something like an organized sovereign citizen attitude is involved. On the other hand, if enough people agree that they are members of a distinct nation with historical roots, maybe they have something there.
Only if they can hold off the state police and the feds. Which as what the folks in 1776 managed to do.

if enough people agree that they are members of a distinct nation with historical roots, maybe they have something there.
Certainly, that's how most nations got started. Ernest Gellner noted the paradox: it's not nations which beget nationalism, but nationalism which begets nations. A successful nationalist movement will persuade enough potential compatriots that there is something there, and achieve critical mass.

This British man who'd been arrested for flouting Singapore's mask mandate has played the "sovereign" card in his ongoing campaign of denial (protest; self-glorification; whatever ...). His family has already returned to the UK. It's presumed he's destined to follow them whenever the jail time he's facing runs its course.
‘I’m not a slave’: Briton detained in Singapore mental hospital after refusing to wear mask

A British man arrested for refusing to wear a facemask on Singapore’s subway has been detained in a mental hospital after branding legal action against him “disgusting”. ...

As his trial began on Thursday, 39-year-old Benjamin Glynn said he would “never plead guilty or not guilty” to the charges against him.

“I refuse to be a slave,” he added as anti-mask supporters backed him from the public gallery.

“I think it's insane that I am facing a trial at all, just for not wearing a mask.”

Mr Glynn, from Yorkshire, had his £2,700 bail revoked on July 19 after originally being arrested for his refusal to wear a mask on May 7. He faces additional charges for failing to wear his mask at a court appearance in July.

The court was urged to assess the married father of two’s mental state by Timotheus Koh, the deputy public prosecutor ,who said Mr Glynn’s family described a “marked change” in his actions since the pandemic began.

"The accused's behaviour in court speaks for itself,” Mr Koh said.

But Mr Glynn replied in a raised voice: “My mind is crystal clear. I'm wide awake. I'm enlightened.”

He claimed he was “sovereign” throughout the trial, adding “the charges don't apply to me”. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...spital-after-refusing-to-wear-mask/ar-AAMYMDZ

A Michigan man has claimed "sovereign citizen" status as an excuse for submitting fake checks to pay his state taxes. I'm not sure his self-avowed status will provide much defense against a fraud conviction.
Man claims to be sovereign citizen, charged in check case

A southeastern Michigan man who prosecutors said claimed to be a sovereign citizen of the United States has been charged after sending three $1 million checks to the state to pay his taxes, authorities announced Thursday.

The 54-year-old man faces three counts of no-account check in Ingham County District Court, Michigan’s Attorney General’s office said. The charges are felonies and punishable by two years in prison or $500 fines. ...

The checks were sent in January 2021 to Michigan’s Treasury office. Each bore TCF Bank routing numbers, but bounced because the Macomb County man had no account with the bank.

The man asserted that he is a sovereign citizen and exempt from certain Michigan law, including paying taxes ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/united-states-lansing-michigan-3934589d4ba695c09b582939214e24df

A Michigan man has claimed "sovereign citizen" status as an excuse for submitting fake checks to pay his state taxes. I'm not sure his self-avowed status will provide much defense against a fraud conviction.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/united-states-lansing-michigan-3934589d4ba695c09b582939214e24df
You wonder why he bothers unless he's incredibly gullible. But he's smart enough to have made enough income to owe $3 M in state taxes. Or to have accumulated $3M in withheld state payroll income tax. In both cases, big numbers.

Practically every report I’ve seen about sovereign citizens involves people trying to avoid either taxes or fines for something or other, commonly driving offences.

... But he's smart enough to have made enough income to owe $3 M in state taxes. Or to have accumulated $3M in withheld state payroll income tax. In both cases, big numbers.

I haven't found any news story on this case that mentions whether the $3,000,000 figure has any connection to his actual tax liability.

If you overpay your taxes, the US government returns the overpayment to you.

I would guess he doesnt owe 3 million. He was sending in 3 million in fake checks, he was likely relying on them being deposited, then he would claim he made an overpayment and the government would reimburse him for the overpayment.....

If you overpay your taxes, the US government returns the overpayment to you.

I would guess he doesnt owe 3 million. He was sending in 3 million in fake checks, he was likely relying on them being deposited, then he would claim he made an overpayment and the government would reimburse him for the overpayment.....
Not when they bounced. But if he's such a poor thinker as to use the sov cit theory then I guess he might at that.

Spanish driver who ate hash cakes claims diplomatic immunity from non-existent state
A Spanish man who had eaten hash cakes before he was pulled over by police for driving erratically has been fined after failing to convince officers he had immunity because he was a diplomat for an “individual and mobile” republic.

The officers asked the driver for his identity documents, to which he responded by showing a driving licence and ID card from the ‘Errant Republic of Menda Lerenda’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/18/spanish-driver-hash-cakes-claims-diplomatic-immunity-menda-lerenda

Back