• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Waymarker

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi guys,
I was camping alone some years ago near Spalding (England) and had a dream in which i was out of the tent and following a monk-like figure across the field to a clump of trees containing some sort of craft, and there the dream ended.
Next morning I woke up back in the tent and noticed a bruise on my shin which wasn't the least bit painful to the touch and i had no idea how i'd got it.
It faded out over the next few days, and on reflection it may have been not a bruise but an antiseptic/anaesthetic stain.
So the thought has crossed my mind that i may have been abducted by aliens who extracted bone marrow (for DNA) from my shin, or am i just being illogical?

PS- I've got a couple of photos and map of the location, am i allowed to post them here, or is this forum a picture-free zone?

Thanks, let's see if these display ok-
I camped discreetly tucked away just behind that hut in a farmers field about 50 yards from the road during a solo cycle-camping trip in 1998.
(These are modern photos but the site remains virtually unchanged since then)
spaldC.gif

Blue dots mark the camping spot. (Spalding is in Lincolnshire)

SpaldAa.gif

General view below shows my campsite (yellow dot) just behind the hut, and the grove (yellow circle) to which i followed a brown hooded monk towards a craft in the trees in my 'dream'-
SpaldC-1.gif
[/QUOTE]

This is the grove of trees..
"Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves.."- The Tempest

spaldA.gif

For the record, 3 other factors are worth mentioning-
1- Despite being dog-tired after pedalling about 60 miles that day,I had trouble getting off to sleep that night, as if there was a tension or 'static' in the air, yet there were no power lines nearby.
2- When i woke next morning i could hardly believe morning had arrived so soon, as if time had 'gone missing'.
3- As I broke camp. i noticed a man standing in the road watching me, so i ignored him in case he was a farmer angry at me for camping in his field, and the next time i glanced around, he'd gone. I wish i'd have at least bid him "Good morning" and i could have asked him if he'd noticed anything unusual in the night!

PS- The 'high strangeness' of the night never bothered me in the slightest, I simply got on with the bike ride which went off smoothly without further incident and I've never had any after-effects such as uncomfortable flashbacks or nightmares or anything.

Rather surprised to be resurrecting an old thread, but doing some reading yesterday, I suddenly thought "Hang on a mo... there's something about this on the FTMB"

If you scroll up and read Waymarker's odd experiences overnight while camping in a bit of farmland scrub near Weston, Spalding. Well I was reading Mysterious Lincolnshire, by Daniel Codd yesterday. When on Page 127 in the ghosts Chapter he give the following account.

" In October 2002, one Ralph Skeef told the Spalding Guardian of a terrifying encounter his own grandfather had in the early years of the 20th Century. Mr Skeef senior had been cycling along a road at Beggars Bush, Weston, just North of Spalding, when something had appeared in the middle of the road. The entity had been wearing a steeple hat and a long black cloak, and it had drifted right through the shocked cyclist! "

Leaving aside the cyclist link, The road in question (highlighted below) is just a few 100 metres North of where Waymarker was camping that night (see red spot on map)

Beggarsbush.jpg

The whole area has a bit of history too, As the Beggars Bush Lane takes it's name from the thin strip of trees marked "Beggars Bush" that runs along the east-west road at the top. Apparently this was a bit of land that was commonly used as a free overnight resting site for various casual roving land workers and agricultural tinkers and seasonal odd-jobbers, of which Lincolnshire had lots of in the 19th and still into the early 20th C.

I just thought the two occurrences so close geographically was interesting, and the other coincidental similarities. Cycling, overnight camping, cloaked figure (though Waymarker described the figure in his dream as more of a 'monk' in appearance, a cloak or long robe features in both accounts) seemed of interest as well, even if it's just plain synchronicity at play.

I'm pretty local, so if I find out any more I'll add to this.
Mr P

Last edited:
The 25"/mile OS map shows nothing Fortean in the vicinity; neither do the 6", 1" etc.:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.7&lat=52.79796&lon=-0.09988&layers=168&b=1

Broadgate House itself is a Grade II listed building:

"Farmhouse. Early C18, refronted c.1800, mid C19. Red brick, some colourwashed render. Slate roof with stone coped gables and 2 gable stacks, that to the left projecting and with flat band. Z storeys with attic, 3 bay front with chamfered plinth. Central doorway with open porch with semi-circular hood supported on slender columns; moulded doorcase with pilastered doorcase, imposts, traceried fanlight and panelled reveal and door. Doorway flanked by small canted bay windows with tripartite plain sashes and moulded entablatures. Above doorway is a semi- circular headed plain sash flanked by single tripartite plain sashes with flush wedge lintels and painted ashlar keystones. 2 segmental headed dormers with plain sashes. Long low early C18 range, single storey with attic, to rear.

Listing NGR: TF2835023872"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1308515?section=official-list-entry

No mention of anything monk-y, and its date of "early 18th century" rules out lots of UK history.

Interested Forteans might consider buying it, it is/was recently on the market for only £375,000

maximus otter

Back