• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Spear of Destiny - Where Is It Now?

This snipped section elaborates on Buechner's story.
From a dated website with a section on German Antarctica: http://www.jerryesmith.com/index.php/60
Ravenscroft was not the only post-war college professor to write about, and add to the Holy Lance mythos. In 1988-89 Dr. Howard A. Buechner, M.D., professor of medicine at Tulane and later L.S.U., added a strange chapter to the tale in his two books Hitler's Ashes - Seeds Of A New Reich and Adolf Hitler and the Secrets of the Holy Lance. In them he relates that he was contacted by a former German U-boat submariner who claimed to have helped take the Holy Lance to Antarctica in 1945 and to have helped a group of German businessmen who called themselves The Hartmann Expedition recover it in 1979.

Doctor Buechner was a retired Colonel with the U.S. Army who had served as a battalion surgeon in World War II. In the mid-1980s he was presented by the pseudonymous “Capt. Wilhelm Bernhart” with what was claimed to be the log of the equally pseudonymous “Hartmann Expedition,” including a hand-written letter of authenticity signed by “Hartmann,” and photos of some of the objects recovered.

According to Buechner, this former Nazi sailor claimed that he could prove that the famous Spear of Destiny currently on display in the Schatzkammer Museum in Vienna is a fake. Prior to the war Heinrich Himmler, who would become head of the Occult Bureau of the SS, formed a circle of Knights dedicated to the Holy Lance, called The Knight’s Grand Council. It has been widely reported that they used a replica of the Holy Lance in arcane black magic ceremonies in a specially appointed castle in Wewelsburg, Germany, which today welcomes tourists with a taste for the macabre. Capt. Bernhart claimed that during the war Himmler had Japan's greatest sword maker flown to Germany where he created a second and much more exact duplicate of the lance. The “perfect” copy then went on display in Nuremberg, from whence it was turned over to Austrian authorities at the war’s end, while the real one remained under Himmler’s control – until sent to Antarctica by order of Hitler.

In the final hours of the war, according to this sailor, Hitler personally selected a man who would later be called “Col. Maximilian Hartmann” to send several of his most prized possessions, including the Spear of Destiny, to Antarctica via submarine – the one on which Bernhart said he had served. Further, Col. Hartmann was alleged to have recovered the real Spear of Destiny, again with aid from Bernhart, in 1979. According to Buechner and Bernhart the Holy Lance is now in hiding somewhere in Europe, in the possession of the reconvened order of Himmler’s knights, renamed The Knights of the Holy Lance.

After contacting most of the purported members of the 1979 Hartmann Expedition and others involved, including senior former Nazi officials and close personal associates of Adolf Hitler, like Hitler Youth Leader Artur Axmann, Col. Buechner became convinced that the sailor’s claims were true. Either he was the victim of an incredibly elaborate hoax, or the Spear of Destiny really did reside for a while in Antarctica and may well be in the hands of a group of individuals who believe in its power to direct the destiny of mankind – and may be conducting magic rites with it right this moment!

Col. Buechner's story was examined and partially corroborated by the authors of this article in our 2005 book for Adventures Unlimited Press SECRETS OF THE HOLY LANCE: The Spear of Destiny in History & Legend. Common sense, perhaps, would lead one to reject such a wild tale. Yet, over and over we discover that truth is indeed stranger than fiction. Although we leaned toward believing that Buechner was the victim of a hoax we agreed that his story was certainly worthy of inclusion in a book about legends surrounding the Holy Lance – and elements of Buechner’s tale did strike awfully close to the truth! Here then is what we discovered while trying to unravel this final secret of the Holy Lance…

From there it goes into detail about the setting up of an "impregnable fortress" in Antarctica called Station 211 during WWII, presumably while the world's back was turned. Apologies if this is all known and dealt with on other threads. It's new to me. I enjoyed the read and will seek out the book.

I saw it around ten years ago in a museum in Vienna. But my guess is it's a copy and the real one is locked away in the Pentagon.

Bump

Watched a doco on Hitler's association with the spear (the one currently in Austria). It was established over ten years ago that it is a ninth century relic. Science puts paid to the idea that this spear is an original artefact from the time of Jesus, yet the symbolism is still powerful. What of the other supposed Holy Lances, one in Rome, one in Poland and the other in Armenia? Copies of fakes? It all gets a bit ridiculous when you look into it. However, I'd love to see the Austrian spear, given its connection to historical events and figures. I'm still drawn to the legends. Anybody been to see the one in Austria?
I haven't seen it myself, but I told a friend to look out for it when she visited Austria.
I suppose I sold the mythology and Hitler thing too much, because when she came back she said she was 'underwhelmed'.

it's a fascinating bit of local history. Interestingly, during the Dissolution, Henry VIII sent one of his thugs to the chapel to deface everything and cart off anything of value - the thug was meticulous in recording what he had taken and destroyed, but there is no mention of the Spear.....I like to think it's still hidden around here, waiting to be discovered in an Indiana Jones-type adventure. :)

it's a fascinating bit of local history. Interestingly, during the Dissolution, Henry VIII sent one of his thugs to the chapel to deface everything and cart off anything of value - the thug was meticulous in recording what he had taken and destroyed, but there is no mention of the Spear.....I like to think it's still hidden around here, waiting to be discovered in an Indiana Jones-type adventure. :)
Isn't it in Austria?
Or are you referring to another one?

Back