• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Spirit Of A Living Man (Yspryd Dyn Byw)

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
This is something that I've found in a book, I've not heard of this before and unsure if it's still a belief. The book states that it's possible to see somebodies spirit in another place whilst the person is alive. This belief was even held by people who dismissed the idea of ghosts. It should be noted that this was not seen as a bad omen for either of the people.

It seems to be a form of bilocation which sometimes appears like the Scandinavian Vardoger in that the sighting can precede a persons arrival, but in other instances as a premonition of events in the near future. The (very) few stories that I've read could be explained as timeslips except for one in which the supposed spirit sighting was of a woman knitting in the moonlight by the side of a road one evening, whilst the actual event happened several days later during daylight.

I have included one of the stories here

“At Swyddffynnon, in Cardiganshire, there lived a Mrs. Evans, who had a strange vision. Mr. Edwards’s father called one evening upon Mrs. Evans, and found her sitting by the fire in company with a few female friends, greatly depressed. On enquiring as to the cause of her distress, she stated that she had had a strange sight that very evening.
“She saw, she said, in the unoccupied chamber at the further end of the house, a light, and, whilst she was wondering what light it was, she observed a tall, dark, stranger gentleman, who had a long, full beard, enter the house and go straight to the room where the light was, but before going in he took off his hat and placed it on the table; then he took off his gloves and threw them into the hat, and without uttering a single word he entered the lit-up room.
“Shortly afterwards, she saw the stranger emerge from the room and leave the house, and on looking again towards the room she saw that the light had disappeared. It was, she said, this apparition that had disconcerted her.
“Some time after this vision, Mrs. Evans was in a critical state, and as she lived far away from a doctor, my informant’s father was requested to ride to Aberystwyth for one. He found, however, that the two doctors who then resided in that town were from home. But he was informed at the inn that there was a London doctor staying at Hafod. He determined, whether he could or could not, induce this gentleman to accompany him to Swyddffynnon, to go there. This gentleman, on hearing the urgency of the case, consented to visit the sick woman.
“Mr. Edwards and the doctor rode rapidly to their destination, and Mr. Edwards was surprised to find that the doctor did everything exactly as it had been stated by Mrs. Evans. There was also a light in the chamber, for there the neighbour had placed the still-born child, and it was the providential help of the London doctor that saved Mrs. Evans’s life.
“I may add that the personal appearance of this gentleman corresponded with the description given of him by Mrs. Evans.”

Yup, crisis apparitions. We have threads on those.

My own double/fetch/doppelganger used to be seen now and then. Last time it was heaving my bike up the steps at work about a year ago, wearing my distinctive head tube and hi-viz rucksack, when I was home on t'sofa.

My own double/fetch/doppelganger used to be seen now and then. Last time it was heaving my bike up the steps at work about a year ago, wearing my distinctive head tube and hi-viz rucksack, when I was home on t'sofa.
I wasn't sure if it fitted into any of those threads and I remember Enolagaia saying that it was easier to move a new thread than to edit an existing one (oops I just realised I forgot to ask for the mods to relocate it where they thought best).

I wasn't sure if it fitted into any of those threads and I remember Enolagaia saying that it was easier to move a new thread than to edit an existing one (oops I just realised I forgot to ask for the mods to relocate it where they thought best).

Yup, the expression Yspryd Dyn Byw and the Welsh slant were certainly new to me for one!

Tell Techy to stop pinching your clothes!

Back